Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : E3 2006 Discussion
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Ezlo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1214
IP: Logged
icon E3 2006 Discussion (0)  
Well, all my other forums are sort of chaotic right now, so I'd thought I'd maybe talk about E3 here if anyone is interested. After watching Sony's confrence I am more than ever unhappy with Sony's plummet into copycat-dom. Their new controler is such a blatant mimic that it's funny. And there console costing 500 dollars? Insane. I'd maybe buy it for 250, nothing more.

Thoughts?
05-09-2006 at 03:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
miketo
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 61
icon Re: E3 2006 Discussion (0)  
Got links?
05-09-2006 at 03:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Yeah, I hadn't heard anything yet about the PS3 controller. What is it a mimic of?

And here's hoping there's no crazy fanboy talk in this thread. ;)

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
05-09-2006 at 03:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Okay, did a little searching, and looks like there is "6 degrees of motion-sensing movement" in the PS3 controller. Heh. I guess we know how seriously Sony is taking Nintendo, at least. ;) And I like how they said that the beginning of the conference that they weren't about gimmicks.

I don't understand why people really care that much. If they make good games, what's the big deal? If anything, the motion sensing in the PS3 controller will mean that more games will come to the Wii from the PS3 and vice-versa, because they will have similar ways of interfacing with the games. Nintendo will still have their first-party exclusive games, which are generally worth buying the system for, and so will the PS3, and the XBox 360 does too. Having more third-party systems available for each platform just means you have even less reason to buy more than one platform. Or you can be pessimistic and complain that when you buy two of them fewer games will be exclusive. Too bad? Sheesh.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
05-09-2006 at 03:23 AM
Sergenth
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 296
Tomorrow, when they show players using the "Wiimote" to swing the sword and block with the shield in Zelda, the difference between Sony's Accelerometers and Nintendo's positional system will be quite evident. +1 Nintendo

Watching the Metal Gear Solid 4 trailer made me realize I can be afraid to play a game all over again (the last time was when I was 4 years old and bravely told my mom I'd try out Missile Command, so that I could convince myself that I could do it!) +1 Konami
05-09-2006 at 06:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Don't worry, I'm not a fanboy, just a guy who likes Sega better than all other companys! :smile

Yeah, I'd have to agree that Nintendo's system will be 200% better than Sony's, but what really ticks me off is the confrence when the revealed it. They way they acted as if they invented it first, just really bugged me. Hopefully Mircosoft won't have it as well. But seriously? Who wants a $400 - $600 system?
05-09-2006 at 11:59 AM
Oneiromancer
Considering that Blu-Ray DVD players are projected to cost $800 on their own, I suspect many people will get the PS3 just to be able to play those DVDs for cheaper. It will depend on the competition with HD-DVD, of course.

Game on,

05-09-2006 at 12:38 PM
Ezlo
You know, that's a very good point. If that is the case, I might get one myself! :D
05-09-2006 at 12:58 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
That is, if Blu-rays aren't pushed back.

Honestly, I haven't seen anything to really excite me about the PS3 yet. It'll likely come down to the games, but come on, Xbox 360 is already out, developers are getting more comfortable and its online is working splendidly, and Wii gets Zelda - probably the biggest launch title ever, even considering people can play it on Gamecube. The PS3 controller doesn't even have rumble, fer chrissakes, and considering their strategy is 'bigger, faster, stronger, omg' not hitting a bullet point is a lot worse move for them than it is for Nintendo. That, and they've made it a lot easier to get people to port to Wii, and you just know Nintendo have got their innovation taskforce on the Wii to come up with another non-gamer success like Brain Training or Nintendogs. If they succeed, that means that Nintendo will have an intimidating install base (even more so considering that Wii and the Xbox 360 is a lot easier to see as being 'new' than the PS3 to non-gamers) and that means that the Wii might end up being more profitable to develop for, so you'll see developers doing ports much like you saw developers port from the Gamecube to the graphically inferior PS2 (Capcom and Namco, mostly) to get the megabucks.

[Last edited by Mattcrampy at 05-09-2006 01:34 PM : Now with added argument]
05-09-2006 at 01:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
Can't wait for new info on
Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
Prey
(I don't expect Dominions3 to show up there)

Pretty much the only worthwhile upcoming Linux games. New DROD doesn't really count for someone who - for some reason - doesn't plan to buy it. No NWN2, because in their greatness Atari decided to upgrade the engine from OpenGL to DirectX. www. (squirrels claim the force, for lack of better vocabulary behind funding of xbox360 version resigned, so there's no longer any valid reason to use directx except to screw linux gamers. NWN1 was, and still is, massively popular for a linux game. I wonder what are they going to use for servers now.)

There's slight chance that some PS3 games will be ported to linux, because PS3 itself will have linux on board, but I can't count on it. Not to mention things they say about games developed for consoles...

Wait, am I not supposed to be doing my homework ?
--------------------
edit: My mod point number is also the date of my birthday, as well as Einstein's. I should enjoy it while it lasts.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml

[Last edited by b0rsuk at 05-09-2006 02:42 PM]
05-09-2006 at 02:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
I really want to hear about Spore. That games looks awesome, as I mentioned in it's thread.

Eh, if there's any new information about Duke Nukem Forever as well it would be appreciated. ;)

EDIT: Finished watching Nintendo's and Microsofts confrences as well. Nintendo confirmed that the controller has a speaker in it, and the fact that the nunchuck attachment has a motion sensor of it's own. Some of the games looked interesting. I will most certainly be getting Metroid Corruption, and Mario vs Donkey Kong looks like a nice puzzle game. Yoshi's Island I also loved, so the sequel will go on my list too.

Microsoft wasn't as interesting, but I'm not a Microsoft fan. There wasn't all that much new besides the games on your phone, and Halo 3 looks interesting, but not enough to get the system.

Anyone else have thoughts?

[Last edited by Ezlo at 05-09-2006 09:59 PM]
05-09-2006 at 04:30 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
icon Re: E3 2006 Discussion (+1)  
The PS3 lost all interest with the price tag. The tilt-sensitivity seems lame compared to the Wiimote (not the official name, but it will be. Mark my words, it will be). See GameFAQs.

The only problem is that I may not have enough cash to buy all the good Wii games at release. Let's see:
LoZ
FFCC
Dragon Warrior
MP3:Corruption

And that's just the really good ones I can remember. Not to mention:
Super Mario Bros. 3
Metroid
Super Metroid
LoZ:Oot
LoZ:MM
Mario Party 3

All of which I will be getting onto that flash card ASAP.
05-09-2006 at 11:44 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Rank Points: 489
As unreal as it sounds, official Quake Wars website has been updated. There's no flash8 for linux, but you can still check a bunch of new screenshots in this topic:

http://splashdamage.com/index.php?name=pnPHPbb2&file=viewtopic&p=142580&sid=8b16d5a26e63c211f2f52b9f4eac6e0d#142580
delicious.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml

[Last edited by b0rsuk at 05-10-2006 12:09 AM]
05-10-2006 at 12:09 AM
Abbyzzmal
Rank Points: 348
My goodness, even without the Wii or the Virtual console, Nintendo is looking to take me for hundreds of dollars with their Yoshi's Island 2 and a new classic-style Starfox and another Chibi Robo and Kirby and Zelda and Zelda and Paper Super Mario.

It's depressing knowing how much fun is in the future.
05-10-2006 at 01:06 AM
Ezlo
Paper Super Mario is just what I've been looking for! I've always wanted a platformer where you could play as Bowser. Super Mario RPG wasn't enough.

The only two games I want for my virtual console are Earthbound and FF6. Although I'll probably get the genesis Sonic games so I can get rid of my Genesis.
05-10-2006 at 01:53 AM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
You can also pick up Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, if you want some Bowser play. It's not much, but it's fun, and the game is quite good as well.

05-10-2006 at 02:53 AM
Ezlo
Heh Heh, that's how I began to crave it. Love that game, should get it from Gamefly again.
05-10-2006 at 03:02 AM
coppro
Abbyzzmal wrote:
My goodness, even without the Wii or the Virtual console, Nintendo is looking to take me for hundreds of dollars with their Yoshi's Island 2 and a new classic-style Starfox and another Chibi Robo and Kirby and Zelda and Zelda and Paper Super Mario.

It's depressing knowing how much fun is in the future.

QFT
05-10-2006 at 03:25 AM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
b0rsuk wrote:
I wonder what are they going to use for servers now.)

They may use Linux nevertheless. Some games have gone that way, keeping the client on Windows only, and making their servers run on Linux. How nice. I'm touched, really. Operation Flashpoint comes to mind, but there are certainly others out there.

Of course, they would have to figure out a way of doing the servers alone in Linux. I'm not sure how feasible that would be, but if they really like Linux for servers, they might go for it.
05-10-2006 at 03:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
As much as I hate to say this, not being a Sony fan and all, but the fact that they added motion sensors is probably one of the best things that they could do for Nintendo. Think about it: If there's another console out there will practically identical controller functions, then crossports will be much more common and much more interesting. And since Sony is so popular and will have an easier time getting publishers on their side, having a controller similar to PS3's will help the possibility of getting some PS3 games on the Wii.

That being said, I'm sure Microsoft is probably kicking themselves for releasing their console early and without motion sensors. It'll be interesting to see if they try to come back from it.

05-10-2006 at 04:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
Yeah, I'm going to be all over the next Nintendo franchise titles.
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
That being said, I'm sure Microsoft is probably kicking themselves for releasing their console early and without motion sensors. It'll be interesting to see if they try to come back from it.
For sure. I'm wondering whether this is the only time launching a console earlier than the others has probably ultimately hurt that system.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-10-2006 at 05:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
I pointed out the motion sensor thing on the PS3 actually helping the Wii because of more ports earlier, but now I'm not quite as sure. For one thing, several places have pointed out exactly how limiting the PS3 one is. It really only has a gyroscope, and can detect 6 axes. It really isn't that similar to the Wii controller at all, which is absolute position detection...the PS3 one is relative. So you can't do the whole tennis/golf/baseball thing with the PS3 controller, or swing a sword, or do the Metroid Prime 3 key turning thing. Stuff like Super Monkey Ball will port just fine, and some other games; think Wario Ware Twisted for the GBA and you'll see that the PS3 controller really isn't anything that new. ;)

It is possible that with the EyeToy and this controller, that Wii games could be approximated. It's also possible that I don't know what I'm talking about.

Game on,

[Last edited by Oneiromancer at 05-10-2006 05:33 PM]
05-10-2006 at 05:32 PM
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
mrimer wrote:
I'm wondering whether this is the only time launching a console earlier than the others has probably ultimately hurt that system.
Well, let's not so quickly forget one of the more important lessons of the Dreamcast.

++Adam H. Peterson
05-11-2006 at 12:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NekoIncardine
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 127
icon Re: E3 2006 Discussion (+2)  
If you take the 'Microsoft view' road, the game race is Microsoft and Sony.

Microsoft has:
* HD-DVD for $100 add-on
* Games coming en masse
* Publisher interest via existing install base
* X-Box Live
* It's going to be the baseline for multi-system games probably
* Cheaper

Sony has:
* Blu-Ray
* A pale emulation of the Wii's central gimmack
* Metal Gear Solid 4
* A critically-reduced functionality version that is more expensive than the competitor's FULL versions. (It's not just the hard disc size, sadly. Blu-Ray requires HDMI outputs for full quality, and the $500 version lacks them.)

I honestly think that Microsoft is in the lead this time around in the 'next-gen' consoles, unless Sony REALLY makes Blu-Ray hit it big in short order, which isn't likely - it took DVDs three or four years to get rolling...

Nintendo has:
* An established record as the most profitable company in current generation via the GBA/DS Juggernaut and the cheapest-to-make system.
* It's going out on it's own path
* CHEAPER system
* A truly original controller design that's probably going to reveal some great stuff
* New Smash Brothers - SSBM was the Gamecube's Halo, and Super Smash Brothers Brawl doesn't look like it will dissippoint - which means it's probably going to be the Wii's Halo 2.
* An utter ONSLAUGHT of games in general - Metroid Prime, Super MArio Galaxy, Resident Evil, Red Steel, Trauma Center... They are hitting it BIG on launch, and I bet there will be ad campaigns to match.
* Additionally, they're probably going to have a few Nintendogs and Brain Age style things to surprise people with.
* Also, a little thing called Virtual Console... Which I'm no longer as interested in because GameTap just got SAM AND MAX, but that's PC and thus not relevent.

Nintendo is hitting the books and hitting them BIG, Microsoft's just rolling along like a Katamari, and the PS3... Has not impressed me on any level whatsoever. Keep in mind I'm a hardcore fanatic of many a PS2 Exclusive. The PS3 though... Is total and utter 'meh' incarnate right now except for Blu-Ray fans. Sony has a LONG way to go to justify pulling a Sega.

(For those not aware what I meant: Sony won the PS1 vs. Sega Saturn war from the start, mostly by having their system $100 cheaper than Sega's offering - an advantage now handed to Microsoft and Nintendo.)

05-11-2006 at 05:12 AM
Oneiromancer
Hmmm, I think you have a good analysis there, Neko, but I also think that the PS3 has more exclusives than just MGS4. Not as many killer apps as if GTA4 was a PS3 exclusive, but don't forget the draw that the Final Fantasy series has. And...hmmm. Well, um, I guess when I think of PS2 exclusives, I mostly think of things like FF and GTA3. And the GTAs were all eventually ported. I am sure that there are others that I just don't know about.

Don't get me wrong, I have some PS2-only games that I think are great, like the Maximo games, but hardcore gamers definitely buy systems for the exclusive games, and if the PS3 can't deliver, then I don't think people will go for it.

Game on,

05-13-2006 at 07:57 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
I'm still not too sure if I should agree with Neil.

To be honest, I don't know anyone who buy a system because of the exclusive games. (perhaps I know the wrong people)

Some of my friends buy 360s because they want to show off, and they only like FPS and driving games.

There are about 4 or 5 series I like on the PS (Amplitude, Katamari, Ico, Eyetoy and FF) and I think I have now about 10 (all very good, I don't have time to even consider mediocre ones) PS2 games in the last 5 years. So I will hand over 500 + 10*50 = 1000 euros to play 10 new PS3 games. 100 euros a game? Sorry, but I don't know any game publisher that is worth that much.

I've also have about 10 games for the Cube (MonkeyBall, MarioKart, MP, Konga, Zeldas) That will probably cost about 250+10*40 = 650 euros with Wii. With 350 left, I can even buy a TV to connect to.

I know what I will be buying. Lite. The great thing is, when it will come out here in Europe, it will probably have one or two good games for it.

At least I still have time to finish my Castlevania Double Pack (GBA)

-- Tim O:-

05-13-2006 at 10:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Oneiromancer wrote:
Hmmm, I think you have a good analysis there, Neko, but I also think that the PS3 has more exclusives than just MGS4. Not as many killer apps as if GTA4 was a PS3 exclusive, but don't forget the draw that the Final Fantasy series has. And...hmmm. Well, um, I guess when I think of PS2 exclusives, I mostly think of things like FF and GTA3. And the GTAs were all eventually ported. I am sure that there are others that I just don't know about.

Don't get me wrong, I have some PS2-only games that I think are great, like the Maximo games, but hardcore gamers definitely buy systems for the exclusive games, and if the PS3 can't deliver, then I don't think people will go for it.

Game on,

assassins creed is looking good as a ps3 excusive as well.
05-13-2006 at 01:55 PM
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
I just want to get Yoshi's Island 2. That's all.

05-14-2006 at 01:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
I don't care much about the E3, except for maybe Magic Online III and Persona 3.

05-14-2006 at 04:53 AM
coppro
Can't wait for the open Beta-test of MODO3. Unfortunately, that's about all I'll play. Here's to praying that they'll make it so you don't need to sign up to watch the Invitational this year. :twak
05-14-2006 at 04:56 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : E3 2006 Discussion
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes