Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : New Monster: Shrieker
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Snicker
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 30
IP: Logged
icon New Monster: Shrieker (0)  
What about a "Shrieker" monster? Like a brain, it just sits there, but in this case, it pacifies the creatures UNTIL Beethro either a) comes within smell range or b) enters line of sight (depending on how best to program it).

When a shrieker is in a room, all mobs are "frozen" as though he was invisible. If the shrieker notices Beethro, it "activates", cancelling the invis effect. This happens even if you kill the shrieker (the effect is gone either way).

Heck - it almost seems too easy to program this one ;) - Copy the code the remembers if a brain is in the room to change monster AI, only replace "brain smarts" with "invisibility AI".

Of course, I could be wrong. :P
07-21-2003 at 06:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
krammer
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 904
icon Re: New Monster: Shrieker (0)  
I think that most of the benefits of this could be achieved using brains and invisibility potions, particularly with the new invis toggle. Don't like this one much, to be blunt - it's too similar to existing features.

Or maybe I don't understand it proplerly. As it stands, it seems to add very little.

"Oook!"
07-21-2003 at 06:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
noman
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 104
What's about monsters behaving like wraithwing's. Could be facinating fighting against hundreds of wraithwings(dangerous too).

07-21-2003 at 06:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1723
Hrm...I see possibility with it...but I also see krammer's point. The big difference, I'm guessing, is that the monsters do not detect Beethro even if he's right next to them (I now see immense possibility) This has huge puzzle potential, and may be a bit of what I was going for with my Scared Animal. I think, though, that the shrieker must act as a brain as well, once activated. Otherwise, it may be too easy.

Two questions though...one is involving multiple shriekers. Would they also be activated if one shrieker noticed, or would they pacify the monsters once the activated shrieker is killed?

Second question: We need a smell radius for this, only it can't be a smell radius, as the potion has not been taken. What would you suggest?

07-21-2003 at 08:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Snicker
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 30
The pacification effect is non-renewable. In other words, once it's broken, it's broken, regardless of number of shriekers in the room (waking one wakes them all).

And, sure, why not make it a brain, too? Either way, the idea was something like that - perhaps puzzles where the objective is to move through a maze of monsters without activating them until you're ready too.
07-29-2003 at 06:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : New Monster: Shrieker
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com