Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Inform 7 beta (creating interactive fiction)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
jdyer
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 330
IP: Logged
icon Inform 7 beta (creating interactive fiction) (+2)  
I don't know if any of you are interested in that form known as "Interactive Fiction", but the beta of Inform 7 (a system for developing IF) just came out, and it is jaw-dropping.

http://www.inform-fiction.org/I7/Inform%207.html

Sample features:

* In place of traditional computer programming, the design is built by writing natural English-language sentences:

Martha is a woman in the Vineyard.
The cask is either customs sealed, liable to tax or stolen goods.
The prevailing wind is a direction that varies.

* Should you play for a while, say, getting 20 turns into the story, and then find a finicky mistake - or something that could be improved - simply amend the source text back on the left and click Replay: then watch as your steps are retraced back to where you left them, and resume.

[Last edited by jdyer at 04-30-2006 07:32 PM]
04-30-2006 at 07:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Hikari
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 438
icon Re: Inform 7 beta (creating interactive fiction) (0)  
:-O OSX has more features than Windows? Wow, that's..... unintuitive ;)

I've been searching not-too-successfully for a non-programmer's IF creation pack for Mac for a while, though, and this looks like a winner. Wooo, finally I don't have to have a whole Windows install for VPC sitting on my computer just so I can run ADRIFT anymore...

04-30-2006 at 08:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Znirk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 613
04-30-2006 at 09:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
LordKinbote
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 56
That's really pretty neat, though it does remind me why you don't see that many non-programmer programming languages out there. The amount you have to write to do something simple looks to be, well, quite a bit.

Of course, the code is its own comments, which might be nice.
05-01-2006 at 05:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
LordKinbote wrote:
Of course, the code is its own comments, which might be nice.

you mean it isn't normally? :)

05-01-2006 at 05:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
LordKinbote wrote:
The amount you have to write to do something simple looks to be, well, quite a bit.
True, but in my situation (touch-typist on a non-murkian keyboard) being able to type a word or three instead of things like []{}\\ (which all involve taking at least one hand off the normal typing position) might actually be faster, not to mention easier and less error prone.

Disclaimer -- I don't program, but I do use lilypond for music typesetting. Its input language uses {}\\ (and <>, but those are touch-typable).
05-01-2006 at 02:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Inform 7 beta (creating interactive fiction)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com