Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Refresher: Another room viewing bug?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
jbluestein
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1670
IP: Logged
icon Refresher: Another room viewing bug? (+1)  
I note that I can't look at the images for any secret rooms in non-official holds.

The rooms that I've visited show up on the minimap, but the mouseover doesn't show coordinates for them. And, in some cases, the coordinates are messed up:

Example:

Click here to view the secret text

I seem to recall reading something about a bug like this somewhere, but I haven't been able to find a reference to it in the archives.

Anyone have the scoop? I assume it's known about already...

Josh

04-25-2006 at 03:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Refresher: Another room viewing bug? (+1)  
Well...even for non-official holds, hold authors can specify rooms that need to be visited in order to show up on the forum. It is possible that Jacob did this for the Domain of the Grinfindel. In fact, I can actually check this with my magic powers...and yes, there are several rooms in that hold that have been hidden. So I think that might be the answer.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams

[Last edited by Oneiromancer at 04-25-2006 10:48 PM]
04-25-2006 at 10:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
icon Re: Refresher: Another room viewing bug? (0)  
Oneiromancer wrote:
Well...even for non-official holds, hold authors can specify rooms that need to be visited in order to show up on the forum. It is possible that Jacob did this for the Domain of the Grinfindel. In fact, I can actually check this with my magic powers...and yes, there are several rooms in that hold that have been hidden. So I think that might be the answer.

Game on,

Well, I don't think it's simply that, because I've visited both the Entrance and 1E on that level, and I can view 1E (by clicking on Entrance on the minimap), but not the Entrance at all.

It's the same thing for all secret rooms in Labyrinthitis (JtRH edition)...can't click on them, but they show up in the minimap (which they didn't before I visited them).

Josh

04-26-2006 at 12:50 AM
Oneiromancer
Actually, it is as simple as that. For the level "The Secret Place", the Entrance is checked off, but 1E is not. I don't know exactly why that is, but that's the way it is. I'm pretty sure the minimap thing is intentional as well.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams

[Last edited by Oneiromancer at 04-26-2006 01:33 AM]
04-26-2006 at 01:32 AM
jbluestein
Oneiromancer wrote:
Actually, it is as simple as that. For the level "The Secret Place", the Entrance is checked off, but 1E is not. I don't know exactly why that is, but that's the way it is. I'm pretty sure the minimap thing is intentional as well.

Do you mean that they're checked off to not be viewable at all, whether they've been visited or not?

Because I've visited both of these rooms, and CaravelNet knows I've visited both of these rooms, and I still can't view the Entrance image.

And the minimap behavior is just quirky: I select The Secret Place and see two rooms on the minimap:

1 2

If I hover my mouse over '2' (which corresponds to 1 East), I get nothing.

If I hover my mouse over '1' (the Entrance), the coordinates show up as '1 East', and if I click, it brings up the picture for 1 East.

I'm sorry if I'm being dense here, but I don't see how this could possibly be intentional behavior. What would the point be?

Josh

04-26-2006 at 03:22 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5416
icon Re: Refresher: Another room viewing bug? (+1)  
Josh, you're correct. It's not intended behavior. I imagine, though I haven't tried it, that you actually could see the room image, but the problem is the page doesn't let you *select* the correct room. I'll take a look at it when I get a chance.

04-26-2006 at 03:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
jbluestein
Schik wrote:
Josh, you're correct. It's not intended behavior. I imagine, though I haven't tried it, that you actually could see the room image, but the problem is the page doesn't let you *select* the correct room. I'll take a look at it when I get a chance.

You mean if I knew the roomid and constructed my own URL, right?

Anyway, thanks!

04-26-2006 at 03:55 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5416
jbluestein wrote:
Schik wrote:

You mean if I knew the roomid and constructed my own URL, right?
Exactly. There's two separate pieces of code working together here - one to create the image of the level, and one to create an image map for what happens when you click on different parts of the image. Creating the image works fine - you can see the room in the level, but the image map isn't correct.

04-26-2006 at 03:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Hmm, too much weird stuff going on. I think most of it was explained by the way the rooms were selected, but apparently not all of it. Oh, well. This is what happens when Schik takes too long to respond. ;)

Game on,

04-26-2006 at 11:17 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Refresher: Another room viewing bug?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com