Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Ahriman's Prophecy/Aveyond
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Pinnacle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1129
IP: Logged
icon Ahriman's Prophecy/Aveyond (+1)  
Ahriman's Prophecy is a freeware RPG resembling 16-bit era games.
Quite long (the site says 50+ hours and I don't doubt it) and of very high quality.
There is also a non-free sequel, called Aveyond, with a 10-hour trial.

I'll let the rest speak for itself...
"10 hours" is not a typo, by the way.

04-19-2006 at 09:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: Ahriman's Prophecy/Aveyond (0)  
He's selling a game he made with RPG Maker XP (which is illegal, as I recall, according to their EULA), a program which is practically impossible to get legally, and even then is only in Japanese--and the translation to English is usually done illegally?

That's just plain impressive.
04-19-2006 at 09:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
Banjooie wrote:
He's selling a game he made with RPG Maker XP (which is illegal, as I recall, according to their EULA), a program which is practically impossible to get legally, and even then is only in Japanese--and the translation to English is usually done illegally?
Amanda Fae made the game with RPG Maker, but she isn't distributing RPG Maker. I don't know the details of the EULA, but most software used for creating games allows you to distribute the levels made with them.

Let's not jump to conclusions. I think it's likely that the Amaranth games are distributed legally.

-Erik

04-19-2006 at 09:52 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
icon Re: Ahriman's Prophecy/Aveyond (+1)  
According to the RPG Maker XP site (emphasis added):
◊ Distribute Your Games

Save your completed game as a game disk and you can burn it onto a CD-ROM to give to your friends or distribute it over the Internet for other gamers to enjoy. You can even market your creations as shareware.

04-19-2006 at 09:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
I know you weren't allowed to back in the RM2k days. I was in on that crowd. And I was there when ascii refused to release RMXP to the Americas because of all the pirating of RM2k3.

Must be new with the RPGMXP thing, cause that's when I stopped following it. I was toying with that program since 95.

(In the original Japanese, of course, as ordered perfectly legally and legitimately, of course. No question about that, whatsoever.)
04-19-2006 at 10:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
According to the RPG Maker wikipedia page, there's now a legal English translation at:

http://www.enterbrain.co.jp/tkool/RPG_XP/eng/

Of course, being wikipedia this could be totally false, but it probably isn't.

04-19-2006 at 10:21 PM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
Hmm, let's see... How do you say "them blasted munchkins that spoil the balance of my lovely game" in Japanese? What? Of course it *is* basic vocabulary!

For what it's worth, Gametunnel has a page for Aveyond with a review and a Q&A, and they didn't seem to be bothered with the Law side of it.
04-19-2006 at 10:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Gah. Alright, I stand as a man uninformed. Cause I know people were getting slammed for releasing 2k3 games commercially.

For the record, RPGMXP is an icky, icky program, having used it of course at a friend's place, that friend who obviously had legally purchased the program. The sprite sizes are bizarre, and I won't even go into how distressing the tiles are to work with. (Never mind the complete and mystifying imcompatibility with anything from any previous version: an original sprite from 2k3 will look doll-sized compared to the XP sprites, even though they're not that much smaller.
04-19-2006 at 10:48 PM
asmussen
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 188
Pinnacle wrote:
Ahriman's Prophecy is a freeware RPG resembling 16-bit era games.
Quite long (the site says 50+ hours and I don't doubt it) and of very high quality.
There is also a non-free sequel, called Aveyond, with a 10-hour trial.

I'll let the rest speak for itself...
"10 hours" is not a typo, by the way.

Yeah, I played both of those games. The first one was pretty good, and took quite a long time to complete. The second one wasn't too bad, but was extremely easy, and you can get about half way through the game during your 10-hour trial. I finished the game about a day after registering it.

04-20-2006 at 03:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Ahriman's Prophecy/Aveyond
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com