Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Some noobie questions, before I buy.
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Tinsel
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
IP: Logged
icon Some noobie questions, before I buy. (0)  
Thank you all in advance. I have read through the FAQs and skimmed the forums, but haven't found answers to the following questions:

1. Will Drod: The City Beneath be an entirely new game or a hold package that will work with TJTRH?

2. If it is an entirely new game that we have to purchase, I think there is a good chance that TJTRH will become a hold package for TCB (the way King Dugan's Dungeon was redone for the TJTRH engine). Assuming that's true, is it *possible* that those of us (like me) that purchase TJTRH close to the release of TCB will get a cheaper or free upgrade option (since our game will become obsolete fairly soon after purchase)? If it is not likely, should I just hold out and wait for the new version?

3. I understand that KDD 2.0 is like an improved version of the original scenario, redone for TJTRH. Is the storyline the same? The reason I ask is that the original KDD is still sold through Caravel, but it seems to be obsolete? Is there some advantage to buying the original KDD?

4. What is the process for buying TJTRH after already finishing the demo? I know 3 levels isn't much but is there some way to keep my progress and current score?

5. Is there a way to tell how many secrets there are per level? Forum posts or in-game?

6. Is every single secret in an "official" hold package always discovered through cracked walls?

Thanks again in advance!

03-05-2006 at 05:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NekoIncardine
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 127
icon Re: Some noobie questions, before I buy. (+1)  
1) TCB is a new game entirely; definately a lot more than just a hold package. I do not believe JtRH or KDD is going to get converted to it, though.

2) I do not believe so; Erik (not me) has said that it's unlikely he'll update unless they add something that REALLY makes it worthwhile.

3) For one, the original KDD costs $0.00 with the $0.00 Architect's Edition. KDD 2.0 covers the same overall plot, but adds a few scnes. The "King Dugan's Dungeon" disc is KDD 2.0.

4) You can export your character file from the JTRH demo, then import it into the installed copy of the full version when you get that, and you'll start at Level 4.

5) When you clear a hold, each level that has secrets gets a count of those found outof the total, if you look via the Restore screen.

6) Not... Quite. The vast vast majority are, but there's at LEAST one case I can think of (from KDD2) where one secret basically involves clearing the other.

03-05-2006 at 05:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
icon Re: Some noobie questions, before I buy. (0)  
Well, I have some nice new questions for the DROD FAQ now. :)

03-05-2006 at 05:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tinsel
Hmmm I see.

From what I've read of TCB, it seems to use the same engine and scripting system, just with lots of additions...

Shouldn't all existing holds be compatible?

In the holds forum, aren't the older holds which say "Version: Architect" compatible with TJTRH?

Also, regarding your comment of Drod: KDD having a price of $0.00...it actually has a price of $19.95 (same as TJTRH) if you follow the link to the order page (plimus.com). Just an oversight on their part?

And finally, in Restore, it will show the max number of secrets per level correct? I'm only asking because x/y could mean: 1. you have found x secrets out of y total for the level, or 2. you have beaten x secrets out of y that you have found.

For the first 3 levels I have 4/4, 1/1, and 0/0, which is why I'm unsure as to the actual max it is referring to.

[Last edited by Tinsel at 03-05-2006 06:14 AM]
03-05-2006 at 06:12 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Tinsel wrote:
Thank you all in advance. I have read through the FAQs and skimmed the forums, but haven't found answers to the following questions:

1. Will Drod: The City Beneath be an entirely new game or a hold package that will work with TJTRH?

Ok, lets try to clarify things a bit here.

JtRH and TCB are names of holds, not the engines that run them.

DROD 2.0 is the current game engine. It can run JtRH, and all the holds that currently exist.

DROD 3.0 is currently under development. It will be necessary to run TCB.

DROD 3.0 is not a totally new engine, but it will add a lot of features. Some have been discussed so far, but a lot are still kept under wraps. These additions are necessary to run TCB.

DROD 3.0 will be fully backwards compatible, so it will be able to run all the currently existing holds, including JtRH.

2. If it is an entirely new game that we have to purchase, I think there is a good chance that TJTRH will become a hold package for TCB (the way King Dugan's Dungeon was redone for the TJTRH engine). Assuming that's true, is it *possible* that those of us (like me) that purchase TJTRH close to the release of TCB will get a cheaper or free upgrade option (since our game will become obsolete fairly soon after purchase)? If it is not likely, should I just hold out and wait for the new version?

It's Erik's policy not to discuss pricing/sales information early, so I don't really know much more than you about it, and the little I do know I can't tell. That said, if you already own JtRH, you already own it. I'm guessing (by which I mean I really don't know this for a fact, unlike the answer to the previous question) that there will be a way to carry over holds you already own, including JtRH, into the new version of DROD. Of course, you won't get the TCB hold unless you pay for it.
3. I understand that KDD 2.0 is like an improved version of the original scenario, redone for TJTRH. Is the storyline the same? The reason I ask is that the original KDD is still sold through Caravel, but it seems to be obsolete? Is there some advantage to buying the original KDD?

The original hold isn't sold through Caravel. DROD:KDD is KDD 2.0. The old KDD (the one included in DROD:AE) is free.

Yes, Caravel's naming conventions are confusing.

The storyline is the same, but KDD 2.0 includes bonus rooms.

4. What is the process for buying TJTRH after already finishing the demo? I know 3 levels isn't much but is there some way to keep my progress and current score?

You can export your play file from the demo and import it into the paid version. All your progress will be retained.

5. Is there a way to tell how many secrets there are per level? Forum posts or in-game?

Once you complete the game, you'll be able to see this. (And yes, it's number found/total - level 3 has no secrets).

6. Is every single secret in an "official" hold package always discovered through cracked walls?

No, but most of them are. At least for the currently existing holds.

[Last edited by eytanz at 03-05-2006 06:32 AM]
03-05-2006 at 06:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Tinsel wrote:
Shouldn't all existing holds be compatible?
That should be a safe assumption to make.
In the holds forum, aren't the older holds which say "Version: Architect" compatible with TJTRH?
Yep.
Also, regarding your comment of Drod: KDD having a price of $0.00...it actually has a price of $19.95 (same as TJTRH) if you follow the link to the order page (plimus.com). Just an oversight on their part?
No, that's KDD2.0. It's just doesn't have the "2.0" appended to it. If you click on More Info you will see a link to the "old version". You can also go to the Downloads page from drod.caravelgames.com .
And finally, in Restore, it will show the max number of secrets per level correct? I'm only asking because x/y could mean: 1. you have found x secrets out of y total for the level, or 2. you have beaten x secrets out of y that you have found.

For the first 3 levels I have 4/4, 1/1, and 0/0, which is why I'm unsure as to the actual max it is referring to.
It is per-level. Note that when you get the full version, you might not be able to see these values anymore, because they only show up for conquered holds. You conquered the 3 level demo but when you import your player into the full version, it isn't conquered anymore so you won't see your secret percentage until you beat level 25. Then you can go back and find the secrets you missed so you can Master the hold.

As for your original questions...I honestly don't think that we would remake JtRH with the TCB engine, but that's a personal opinion. The mere addition of scripting enabled us to really take KDD to the next level. While there are a ton of new things in TCB...I don't think it would make remaking JtRH worth releasing as an SS hold. I suppose if one of us really wanted to do it, it would be free to those who bought JtRH or available separately, so when someone bought JtRH, they could decide whether to get the original version or the TCB version. Or perhaps the original version would be retired. I have no idea! Just spouting off random guesses here!

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
03-05-2006 at 06:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tinsel
Thanks for all of the responses you all really answer forum posts quickly!

I understand that tjtrh and tcb aren't technically the engines, but as they are the holds released with the new engines it just seems easier to refer to the engines that way.

Is there a general timeframe on when tcb will be completed? If not, does anyone remember what percent tcb was at a month ago? Two months ago? Just trying to establish if we're talking days, weeks, months, years. And if tcb does get released soon, well I can always hope that they will maybe make an announcement that if you purchased tjtrh after xxx date and only got so much usage out of it before the new engine came along, there will be maybe a cheaper purchasing option...

I went ahead and bought the game. While I'm in a room, I see (from the help file) that hitting F6 lets me see replays of that room based on what I have done and what the best players on Caravel.Net have done...I never saw any mention of this in the game (and there's no button or anything), so:
1. Was this mentioned somewhere other than the help file?
2. Are there any other important shortcut keys I should know about regarding the game and/or its integration with Caravel.Net.

Thanks!

03-05-2006 at 06:59 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Tinsel wrote:
Thanks for all of the responses you all really answer forum posts quickly!

I understand that tjtrh and tcb aren't technically the engines, but as they are the holds released with the new engines it just seems easier to refer to the engines that way.

Is there a general timeframe on when tcb will be completed? If not, does anyone remember what percent tcb was at a month ago?

No. And I'd hesitate to use the bar as anything but the roughest sort of guide.

And if tcb does get released soon, well I can always hope that they will maybe make an announcement that if you purchased tjtrh after xxx date and only got so much usage out of it before the new engine came along, there will be maybe a cheaper purchasing option...

JtRH won't become obsolete, no matter what happens with the new engine. TCB is a sequel, and it assumes you played JtRH before you start it (though it will stand on its own if you didn't). As I said above, it will probably be possible to somehow port JtRH to the new engine, but even if not, you'll definitely still be able to play it and complete it.

1. Was this mentioned somewhere other than the help file?

Well, people talk about it in the forums and I think it's in the caravelnet faq, but it's not mentioned in-game.

2. Are there any other important shortcut keys I should know about regarding the game and/or its integration with Caravel.Net.

No, at least not outside the editor.

[Last edited by eytanz at 03-05-2006 07:07 AM]
03-05-2006 at 07:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Tinsel wrote:
Is there a general timeframe on when tcb will be completed? If not, does anyone remember what percent tcb was at a month ago? Two months ago? Just trying to establish if we're talking days, weeks, months, years.
There's a "Revenge of Watch the Bar" thread in the Forum Games board through which one could recreate the growth of the Bar.
And if tcb does get released soon, well I can always hope that they will maybe make an announcement that if you purchased tjtrh after xxx date and only got so much usage out of it before the new engine came along, there will be maybe a cheaper purchasing option...
First, you might as well call it JtRH like everyone else...there isn't really a "The" at the beginning. ;) Second, the deal is that we are selling the JtRH hold and room styles, not the engine. The engine is totally free and open-source. Same with TCB...the engine and editor will still be free and open-source. It is the official hold and the other proprietary art that is what you pay for. And then there's CaravelNet, which is now a separate purchase, which is why you only get the month free trial with the game (as you are experiencing). But anyway, the point is that regardless of the new engine that comes with TCB, the JtRH hold is still a separate entity that stands on its own regardless of the engine used to play it.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
03-05-2006 at 07:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
Tinsel wrote:
Are there any other important shortcut keys I should know about regarding the game and/or its integration with Caravel.Net.
Three important ones are delete(undo), F4(record demo up to current position), and Ctrl. All keyboard commands are listed in the help under "Quick start & keyboard commands", except Ctrl and F11. Holding down ctrl while moving causes Beethro to make the move, followed immediately by the opposite move. Ctrl+wait waits till the end of the current spawn cycle. F11 takes a screenshot and saves it as "drodscreen.jpg" in the Homemade directory.
03-05-2006 at 10:16 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
The complete list of Keyboard Commands can be found in JtRH help by:

1. Select "Get Help" in the Main Menu.
2. Click on "Game Elements" (second link from the top).
3. Click on "Keyboard Commands" (first link you see).

I hope a FAQ is coming soon, as this is only the fourth time I'm answering this...

-- Tim O:-

03-05-2006 at 10:28 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Honestly, I think it'd be good to put some little buttons somewhere so people don't have to read the help file to find out about the demo screen.

03-05-2006 at 11:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Some noobie questions, before I buy.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com