Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : (More)Minor purchasing questions (So I can figure out what to get now.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
NekoIncardine
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 127
IP: Logged
icon (More)Minor purchasing questions (0)  
Okay, so, I have decided to, with my own money (as opposed to getting it as a Christmas gift), get DROD. Now, I gotta figure out what I should get.

First: Is it acceptable for me to install the games on multiple machines with the download-only version? Only one user at a time (read: This would be on this gaming Desktop and on my Laptop, to be primarily enjoyed on the latter when I get it back from Gateway Technical Support Hell.)

Second: Same Question, but for CaravelNet - two machines on one key, assuming it's only for one user?

Three: Is there any better deals to be expected soon on JtRH and CaravelNet for one year than the free 3 months included additional if I get it before this month ends?

Four: Can I 'delay' the activation of a Year's subscription to CaravelNet for the purposes of waiting until I get Lappy back?

Fifth: After April, will there be any way to get the old SS holds? Say, buy 'em separately for $5 each or something?'

Thank you for your time.

01-27-2006 at 04:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: (More)Minor purchasing questions (+1)  
Just FYI, if there's anything only Erik knows...he's in Australia right now on that trip that Brittany won from the radio station. I think he's getting back before the 31st but I could be wrong.

NekoIncardine wrote:
First: Is it acceptable for me to install the games on multiple machines with the download-only version? Only one user at a time (read: This would be on this gaming Desktop and on my Laptop, to be primarily enjoyed on the latter when I get it back from Gateway Technical Support Hell.)
I think this should be okay. In fact, I think that several people here do it and Erik and Mike haven't complained. Same for CaravelNet.

Three: Is there any better deals to be expected soon on JtRH and CaravelNet for one year than the free 3 months included additional if I get it before this month ends?
Erik likes to keep his deals secret, but hopefully he wouldn't do the ol' bait and switch by giving a better deal so soon after the current one expires. I don't know how much Mike deals with the marketing end so Erik might be the only one who knows about upcoming deals.

Four: Can I 'delay' the activation of a Year's subscription to CaravelNet for the purposes of waiting until I get Lappy back?
Hmm, it should be technically possible, and I think I remember someone else doing this, but I might need some backup here.

Fifth: After April, will there be any way to get the old SS holds? Say, buy 'em separately for $5 each or something?'
Oh, I'm sure there will be something. I would imagine there would be some kind of compilation pack..."Smitemaster's Selection Year One" or something like that. Especially since CDs are planned for each SS release, and those will still be available for purchase, so there would probably be bundle deals or compilation packs far in the future. Still speculation on my part though.

Um, perhaps I wasn't too much help there but I don't want you to miss the window of opportunity so better than silence until Erik gets back...

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-27-2006 at 06:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Alneyan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 622
A couple of facts regarding the letter of the law:

The EULA specifically states that "Caravel hereby grants, and by installing the Program you thereby accept, a limited, non-exclusive license and right to install and use one (1) copy of the Program for your use on a home, business, or portable computer"; the key words being "one copy" and "or". Still, playing on either your come computer or your laptop, but not both at the same time, should have the same end effect of a virtual program transfer, and there should be no problem with any such thing (mostly because other users doing the same thing have not been sued to the best of my knowledge).

CaravelNet has an added provision: " (iv) You are not entitled to create or maintain, under any circumstance, more than one simultaneous connection to CaravelNet or other hosting services authorized by Caravel." So there should be no problems on this side either, so long as you do not launch multiple connections at the server. The mention of "other hosting services" seems interesting: does it refer to these forums? (If so, playing DROD with CaravelNet and using the forums could be a breach of contract. Hmm...)

Of course, the same disclaimer as for Oneiromancer's applies to my post.
01-27-2006 at 09:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Alneyan wrote: The mention of "other hosting services" seems interesting: does it refer to these forums? (If so, playing DROD with CaravelNet and using the forums could be a breach of contract. Hmm...)

I would think that this is an ass-covering clause, in case Caravel expands to the point where they aren't just using CaravelNet. I think the forums count as a free part of CaravelNet, but I may be wrong. I'll be sure to ask him when I see him.

01-27-2006 at 09:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
I don't know what Erik and Caravel's opinion of this is, but my demo version works fine from my memory key. That way, I don't have to deal with crap upon crap of getting my data to and fro.
01-27-2006 at 08:28 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: (More)Minor purchasing questions (0)  
coppro wrote:
I don't know what Erik and Caravel's opinion of this is, but my demo version works fine from my memory key. That way, I don't have to deal with crap upon crap of getting my data to and fro.
I'm not sure what you mean by "memory key".

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
01-28-2006 at 12:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
mrimer wrote:
coppro wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by "memory key".

I think he means a USB drive; many people call them "memory keys".

01-28-2006 at 12:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
Ah, gotcha. I haven't used them myself, but those whatchamacallits are way cool.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 01-28-2006 12:30 AM]
01-28-2006 at 12:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NekoIncardine
mrimer wrote:
Ah, gotcha. I haven't used them myself, but those whatchamacallits are way cool.

This route sounds reasonable if I could afford a big enough Key just for DROD... heck, that could be an interesting way to distribute the game. DROD: USB Key edition. Though it'd be insanely costly...

Anyhow. Thanks for the answers. Now I just have to wait for an update on Lappy.

01-28-2006 at 01:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
You'd be amazed how cheap they are. Flash storage is the future, though I've never used one... C++ is way better than java ;)
01-28-2006 at 04:12 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Java's really improved over the past few years. Certainly, if you want performance, go with C++, but there's plenty of things where a Java application isn't a bad choice. (For one thing, Java is a damn sight faster to code.)

01-28-2006 at 11:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NekoIncardine
Well, minor minor update. Based on the answers, the fact that it's at least two more weeks before I get my lappy back (and at least two months until I will consider Gateway Technical support to give me the time of day in their area, let alone let them work with my laptop, again), and the current offer, I just purchased JtRH (Download Only - wanted the CD too, but it said Out Of Stock :( ) and a Baker's Year of CaravelNet. I am not in the slightest regretting this purchase. Now I get to figure out how the hell to use all the CVNet functionality, though, which should prove interesting.

Oh, yes, one last question, related to TCB. When TCB comes out, will the JtRH styles in some complete form be available in the free release of TCB, so that we can enjoy the JtRH CaravelNet dungeons in their full glory in the TCB Engine?

01-31-2006 at 06:25 AM
Alneyan
NekoIncardine wrote:
Oh, yes, one last question, related to TCB. When TCB comes out, will the JtRH styles in some complete form be available in the free release of TCB, so that we can enjoy the JtRH CaravelNet dungeons in their full glory in the TCB Engine?

There's a CaravelNet FAQ somewhere in here (I think there's one on the site, and I know there's a thread on the forums, but I can't be bothered to look it up... okay, it's a sticky in the Site forum).

Regarding your other question, I'm not sure anything definitive has been planned as of yet; there has been no official word, in any event. The only post relating to JtRH => TCB I can think of was by Oneiromancer, and more or less implied that the switch to TCB may be different from the switch between DROD 1.0 and DROD 2.0 (he doubted whether you will be able to import a JtRH CaravelNet hold into TCB).

Of course, Oneiromancer himself was not sure, and I'm quoting him from memory as I don't recall where that post was made. That, and I don't know every single post on the forums by rote, and I'm also not connected in any way to CaravelGames, so... Let's just say the above post is provided free of any warranty whatsoever, and may not be suitable for your use.
01-31-2006 at 04:45 PM
Oneiromancer
Are you talking about Smitemaster's Selection holds? I don't remember saying anything specifically, and since I wasn't quite sure myself according to Alneyan, I better just let Mike answer if he wants to, and keep my own mouth shut before I get into more trouble. :)

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-31-2006 at 05:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Alneyan
I've found one post close to what I was looking for, but it was merely about a new release of KDD or Rooted Hold under TCB... which I suppose I used to extrapolate about the whole of SS releases. Bleh, silly, broken memory. There might be another thread out there, but I kind of doubt it now.

Next time, I'll look up my sources before opening my big mouth. Maybe. The actual thread is here .

[Last edited by Alneyan at 01-31-2006 05:27 PM]
01-31-2006 at 05:25 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
I have some purchasing questions too. I bought KDD on January 4, I bought JTRH on January 8. My free caravel net supscription is running out on the fourth this month. Yesterday, I used my link for another free month that I got with JTRH. My expiration date is now the eighth instead of the fourth. Is it supposed to add only four days? Or is it counting the month from when I bought it? Is it a glitch? I think I should get an extra month, not just four day.

P.S. How do I scale my avatar to the right size?
02-02-2006 at 02:12 AM
Oneiromancer
Ezlo wrote:
I have some purchasing questions too. I bought KDD on January 4, I bought JTRH on January 8. My free caravel net supscription is running out on the fourth this month. Yesterday, I used my link for another free month that I got with JTRH. My expiration date is now the eighth instead of the fourth. Is it supposed to add only four days? Or is it counting the month from when I bought it? Is it a glitch? I think I should get an extra month, not just four day.
That's something to e-mail Caravel Games about, although you could perhaps wait for an answer, it's better to e-mail and handle it privately. Don't worry, Erik's too nice for his own good most of the time. ;)

P.S. How do I scale my avatar to the right size?
Well, there is the Forum FAQ which says that if you host your avatar off-site, it must be 60x60 pixels or it will look horrible. If you upload it to the forum directly, it should be able to take care of sizing it correctly automatically. If you did upload it to the forum, then I have no idea and Schik would be the one to ask.

Game on,

02-02-2006 at 03:07 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : (More)Minor purchasing questions (So I can figure out what to get now.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com