Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : MetDROiD Prime (Adventure)
Page 1 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.0/10 (48 votes)
σ 2.13
Author Name:geomatrx
Submitted By:geomatrx
Hold Name:MetDROiD Prime
Theme:Adventure
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:15
Number of Rooms:203
Number of Monsters:1955
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:22 (+22 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: MetDROiD Prime.hold (2.4 MB)
Downloaded 18152 times.
License: Other
icon MetDROiD Prime  
Ok,

After my successful release of MetDROiD AE earlier this year, I embarked on my next mission, to recreate Metroid Prime on the Gamecube into jtrh.

It has been a lot of fun so far, and varies a lot from my first hold. I have enjoyed experimenting with the new dungeon elements and themes, as well as extensively testing the scripting elements.

This is more of a direct port of the Nintendo classic. I played through the game, detailing all passages and text into the hold as I completed it.

Changes that this hold takes to my first hold are:
- New dungeon elements used (obviously).
- Storyline/log entries/creature morphology ported directly from Metroid Prime.
- Extensive scripting for puzzles, text cues and monster layouts.
- Different areas split into different 'open' levels, instead of the single floor of my first work.
- New compact 'code gate' mechanism to progress through the hold (no hidden orbs here:)).
- 'Code gates' used based on items from the actual Prime item list.
- Added feature of a 'voluntary' hint/spoiler system, enabling the player find out where to go next if they get stuck
- Less annoying rooms. Generally, I think this will be easier than my first hold.
- More of a general exploration = reward based game than an out-and-out puzzle solver.
- Lots and lots of secrets!

CAUTION!
This hold is EXTREMELY long (but fun). Do not attempt it if:
- you don't have a lot of time on your hands
- you don’t like the Metroid Nintendo game series and/or the way it plays.

Really hope you enjoy this hold. Please post feedback on what you think of it, your likes and your dislikes.

Thanks.

g
11-19-2005 at 10:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3623
icon Re: MetDROiD Prime (0)  
Whoo! Hopefully this will play well.

*downloads*

11-19-2005 at 11:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
cheese obsessive
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 219
icon Re: MetDROiD Prime (+2)  
I love you.
11-20-2005 at 02:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Vertigo
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18
Um, how do you enter the codes? In the Chozo Ruins 2N, I can't seem to find a way to enter in the code...

Edit: Nevermind. Found the explaination.

[Last edited by Vertigo at 11-20-2005 02:14 AM]
11-20-2005 at 02:11 AM
Chaco
icon Re: MetDROiD Prime (+1)  
Follow the instructions in Samus' Spacecraft - step onto the middle square, then to the first number, back to the middle, second number, back to the number, and so on until the statue explodes.

I've gotten up to the Charge Beam and the Magmoor caverns.

EDIT:

A couple of suggestions for a better hold:

Once you destroy a statue by getting an item code in Samus' spacecraft, the scroll for the next item should contain the code for the item you just got. That way, I won't have to restore to the place I found the item, which brings up the next problem:

When I restore to a location with an item, and get it, then restore back, often I lose progress in a few areas. Samus' spacecraft also sometimes throws a few statues back up. A checkpoint in every location with at least 1 statue should fix this.

A great hold, with lotsa exploring, secret rooms with Metroid pics, and a Goblin King with 'Neather sounds. I like it :D

[Last edited by Chaco at 11-20-2005 04:18 PM]
11-20-2005 at 02:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Chaco wrote:
Once you destroy a statue by getting an item code in Samus' spacecraft, the scroll for the next item should contain the code for the item you just got. That way, I won't have to restore to the place I found the item, which brings up the next problem:

When I restore to a location with an item, and get it, then restore back, often I lose progress in a few areas. Samus' spacecraft also sometimes throws a few statues back up. A checkpoint in every location with at least 1 statue should fix this.

I don't think thats necessary.. You shouldn't need to restore anywhere at all; just write down the codes as you get to them (and the scrolls in Samus' spaceship are only meant to be if you get stuck, right? Its not as if you need to restore back there every time you get a code.)
11-20-2005 at 09:45 PM
Chaco
Well, yeah, but sometimes we don't feel like writing stuff down. Besides, scraps of paper get lost -_-

11-21-2005 at 12:29 AM
geomatrx
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
When I made it, i used the notepad application.

g

MetDROiD Echoes
Deadly Gold Mine of Death (Architecture)
11-21-2005 at 12:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Yeah, I used Notepad for the first MetDroid. Kept it on the Desktop for easy access until I beat the hold, then saved it in the Homemade folder.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-21-2005 at 12:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Oh, I can't wait to play this version. And I can only say that it has really nice bonus rooms in it. Oh, and those ghosts (if you are that far) are really cool!

----------

Hmmm... I think I've already thrown away my notes...

Oh wait, I can just look up my codes in the test version :)

-- Tim

Edit: This hold really gets harder as you play. I would rate the difficulty about 4 (beginning) - 7 (end).

[Last edited by Tim at 11-21-2005 12:48 AM]
11-21-2005 at 12:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
kie
Rank Points: 221
Do you recommend playing the first one before this?

11-21-2005 at 01:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
kie wrote:
Do you recommend playing the first one before this?
You can play both of them independently. I would almost say that - like the original Metroid and Metroid Prime - that you should play the latter one first. The first one is a bit harder, while this one has a better story, a better hint system, better graphics, and scripting.

In fact, I recommend to play this one first.

11-21-2005 at 01:24 AM
geomatrx
I cannot really comment (as author), but playing them both is a must :)

I think playing the first will give you an idea of how much you will enjoy this one.

EDIT

Or, what Tim said :lol

MetDROiD Echoes

[Last edited by geomatrx at 11-21-2005 01:27 AM]
11-21-2005 at 01:26 AM
kie
Rank Points: 221
Thanks Tim and geomatrx! I have started on MetDROiD prime and am thoroughly enjoying it. :thumbsup

11-21-2005 at 04:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wookie2424
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
WHOOOOHOOO!!! Its here :thumbsup

MetDROiD AE was my favorite hold of all time and I've been eagerly awaiting Prime ever since.

Say goodbye to the rest of my life for a little while!
11-21-2005 at 10:01 AM
TripleM
This is very cool so far, and getting a bit harder now. Just managed to get that grapple beam which popped up numerous times.. I was surprised when, thinking I must surely be getting reasonably close to the end going by how many scrolls there are in Samus' spaceship, I found a whole new level..
11-21-2005 at 10:03 AM
Chaco
Oh, believe me, it goes much further than getting all the items. ;)

11-21-2005 at 11:10 AM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
One of the secret rooms in Chozo Ruins is exactly the same puzzle as one room in Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. Coincidence? Put it into the wrong hold? ;)
Click here to view the secret text

I played from beginning to Ice Beam today without wanting to stop at all. I guess that's a mark of a good hold... Almost ruined my english presentation tomorrow at school :D
11-21-2005 at 07:04 PM
geomatrx
Doom wrote:
One of the secret rooms in Chozo Ruins is exactly the same puzzle as one room in Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. Coincidence?
... Almost ruined my english presentation tomorrow at school :D

Well, the story with that is

Good luck with your 'Engwish' work lol

MetDROiD Echoes
11-21-2005 at 08:46 PM
TripleM
Yay, hold conquered. Still a way to go to mastering it though, I'm only at 62%.
Excellent hold. What more can I say.. (oh yeah, I managed to find one bug throughout the entire thing, in Chozo ruins 2N2W, I think it is, where sculpture is spelled scultpure :D)

edit - Oh yeah, in case anybody was wondering - it took me 10 hours, and 1 minute. Though that may include a little bit of beta testing, but not much. Thats how long this hold is, but its worth it.

[Last edited by TripleM at 11-22-2005 03:44 AM]
11-22-2005 at 03:43 AM
Abbyzzmal
Rank Points: 348
TripleM wrote:
oh yeah, I managed to find one bug throughout the entire thing, in Chozo ruins 2N2W, I think it is, where sculpture is spelled scultpure :D)

I recall seeing haven't spelled havn't in one of the early rooms, but I made sure not to care.

I love this style of hold. I was never good enough at first-person shooters to get past the opening mission of Metroid Prime, but I definitely respect your dedication, and am glad to see that it resulted in something infinitely spectacular (that I can play).

Out of curiosity, have you considered doing something other than remakes of copyrighted material? It is obvious that you know more than a thing or two about hold building, and I would love to see some original works in a similar exploratory style. Regardless, I echo the compliments in this thread, and look forward to finishing this hold little by little over the coming weeks.
11-22-2005 at 04:47 AM
geomatrx
Hey All,

I'm really glad you are enjoy my hold, and thanks for all the great feedback and scores you have given me :thumbsup

Thanks to those who were able to spot mistakes (which i welcome). In context of the hold, I think there is only a small amount, and it will make me take a bit more care in my next project.

I have enjoyed my homage projects to Metroid which have been enjoyable to create, and it has been far from simple. They have made me think 'out of the box' when coming up with some of the puzzles and the item collection. I wouldn't have though of this code system had it not been for the game I based this on.

In the next hold, I am thinking of ways to collect codes, without using any code entry whatsoever - I have 2 methods so far, envolving staircases and small scripts.

MetDROiD Echoes
11-22-2005 at 10:56 AM
geomatrx
Hi All,
Just to let you know I updated my hold today.

It was a scripting fix for TO 3 South.

I also updated the final room in the Impact Crater-Beta. Now you can exit the room (if the room is solvable anyway).

g

MetDROiD Echoes
11-23-2005 at 12:00 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
If you enter Chozo Ruins 3N4E without clearing 3N3E, you're stuck.

Also, 3N3E needs a checkpoint somewhere. It's a really annoying room to have to replay because of a mistake late.

[Last edited by eytanz at 11-23-2005 06:54 PM : forgot to specify which level]
11-23-2005 at 06:51 PM
geomatrx
eytanz wrote:
If you enter Chozo Ruins 3N4E without clearing 3N3E, you're stuck.
It is highly unlikely this happens, the you would leave to the right without clearing this room first, but i have fixed it, i'll upload at a later.
Also, 3N3E needs a checkpoint somewhere. It's a really annoying room to have to replay because of a mistake late.
You might come across some other rooms that are more annoying, but none of the NEED a checkpoint, you just need to be a bit more careful :)

MetDROiD Echoes
11-23-2005 at 08:19 PM
eytanz
Well, that's what checkpoints are for - making rooms less annoying. Of course they don't NEED a checkpoint - by definition, no room ever does. Checkpoints are about the hold arechitect being considerate to the players and trying to make the hold more enjoyable. At the moment, this hold is less enjoyable (to me) than it could be.

Leaving TR 3N3E without solving it at least once is necessary to optimize the highscore, so it's not that unlikely.

[Last edited by eytanz at 11-23-2005 08:47 PM]
11-23-2005 at 08:45 PM
TripleM
I don't know how geomatrx decided on checkpoints, but it feels like they were taken directly from the original game (which I've never seen before, so I have no idea how saving works there). It really feels like you have to work to get to a checkpoint, as they are spread out over various rooms throughout the hold. Of course it doesn't really help much with the restoring system in the game, which basically saves it whenever you want..

But I do agree, I think more checkpoints could have been useful in some of the longer rooms.
11-23-2005 at 09:10 PM
eytanz
Well, I've never played Metroid, so maybe I can't really appreciate the faithfulness to the original, but for me, based on what I've seen so far, this would easily be one of my favorite holds if checkpoints were added, but the lack of them is a major turnoff.

[Last edited by eytanz at 11-23-2005 09:19 PM]
11-23-2005 at 09:19 PM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Yeah, the checkpoints are only located at save stations in the original game. The hold is very good...and very (amazingly, even) faithful to the original game...but still, a reason should have been found for checkpoints to be included.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-23-2005 at 09:25 PM
geomatrx
I might well include more check points in my next holds to cut down on repetition (maybe a different difficulty/annoyance setting).

My mind was on authenticity when I was first building the hold. In Metroid, you have to hunt the save stations down, and if you die, you lose ALL you progress, not just for that room in which you die in. You can feel lucky DROD does this by default.

Imagine hunting down those checkpoints if none of your progress was saved as you go through the hold...

...go on... just imagine it... then think of hell.
Thats close :lol

MetDROiD Echoes

[Last edited by geomatrx at 11-23-2005 10:24 PM]
11-23-2005 at 10:23 PM
Page 1 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : MetDROiD Prime (Adventure)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com