Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Obit: Rooted Hold and KKD2 over (Bragging rights and miscellaneous thoughts)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Alneyan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 622
IP: Logged
icon Obit: Rooted Hold and KKD2 over (+3)  
Now that I have mastered the two official holds, I would like to make a few comments and the like (mainly about Rooted Hold, not surprisingly).

First of all, my thanks go to everyone involved in the games - Matt Crampy excepted, because he is a mean one (we have a relationship, but we aren't ready to come out of the closet yet, even though said closet isn't exactly confortable). Entering the Dreamplane for the first time at 1 am must have been one of the best moments in my gaming history. So, thanks!

And now a few unrequested comments that might actually be of interest nonetheless.

- The first three levels of Rooted Hold seem to do a fine job of displaying what the game has to offer. I enjoyed them quite a lot, and they convinced a friend of mine to purchase the full game (after having gone through KDD under AE).

- Level 18, 1S 2W takes the pie for the pride factor. I sure felt proud after solving that one without help, though it did take me a good two hours. Great room!

- Level 22 was a wonder. I took the easy way out at first (though I had already conquered most of the level - silly me), but I enjoyed these rooms quite a lot afterwards, and the secret rooms there were very fun. Hats off to whoever had the idea and/or did the execution.

- Level 23 is an odd one. The rooms there are fine, but I have felt the level didn't fit in very well with the ones before and after. I gather level 23 is kind of like KDD 24, random rooms in a sort of town-like structure before entering the "bastion" of the hold. Perhaps it could have been level 22 instead, with the "real" level 22 as the first level of the final resistance, though it may be that level 23 was put there as a sort of buffer between two tough levels.

- There is already a thread regarding level 25, so I shall reply to that one instead of posting here.

- I found the difficulty curve to be a lot smoother than in KDD, where I had a very tough time reaching level 10 (level 7 and 9 did me in, though the notorious level 8 was fine with me), but it all became progressively easier, and only one or two rooms on level 25 truly challenged me once past level 15.

On the other hand, I ran through most early rooms of Rooted Hold, these rooms made to create a challenge excepted. From level 15 onwards however, my progress was a lot slower, and the tough rooms were *tough*. Of course, I did have previous experience from KDD to help me, but I don't think levels 10/12/14 of Rooted Hold are as daunting as level 8 of KDD, with checkpoints and undo now available.

So... well, thumbs up!
11-14-2005 at 05:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
icon Re: Obit: Rooted Hold and KKD2 over (+1)  
Level 18, 1S 2W

Agreed... that was one of my favorites as well. And I echo your sense of pride after finishing it. I think the strategy of that room is wholey unique... I've never seen a room like it in any hold before (obviously since Halph didn't exist before JtRH) or since (I'd really like to see some good uses of Halph... though I haven't played a lot of JtRH holds, so they may already be out there).

11-14-2005 at 06:48 PM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Obit: Rooted Hold and KKD2 over (0)  
stigant wrote:
(I'd really like to see some good uses of Halph... though I haven't played a lot of JtRH holds, so they may already be out there).
Yeah, Halph can be tough to work with if you're out to make an intricate room. There aren't many published holds besides JtRH that use Halph--I think there are a few but I don't remember the names--but note that the next SS is going to be a "Halph Stories" one where we will be treated to some holds which utilize Halph more fully.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-14-2005 at 06:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: Obit: Rooted Hold and KKD2 over (0)  
Alneyan wrote:
Matt Crampy excepted, because he is a mean one (we have a relationship, but we aren't ready to come out of the closet yet, even though said closet isn't exactly confortable).

I don't know how to tell you this, mate, but...

Well, I've already got a girlfriend. I have had for some time.

Although the sexual tension between us seems insurmountable, i'm sure that somehow, we'll learn to get on with our lives.

11-15-2005 at 01:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
r3m0t
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 16
icon Re: Obit: Rooted Hold and KKD2 over (+1)  
Yeah, Halph can be tough to work with if you're out to make an intricate room. There aren't many published holds besides JtRH that use Halph--I think there are a few but I don't remember the names--but note that the next SS is going to be a "Halph Stories" one where we will be treated to some holds which utilize Halph more fully.

Palace of Puzzles has some rather unintuitive uses of Halph.
11-15-2005 at 11:40 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Obit: Rooted Hold and KKD2 over (Bragging rights and miscellaneous thoughts)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com