Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Great Uncle Yurgess' Hold (A jaunt underneath a mysterious, distant-relative's estate)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.9/10 (53 votes)
σ 1.57
Author Name:Sergenth
Submitted By:Sergenth
Hold Name:Great Uncle Yurgess' Hold
Theme:A jaunt underneath a mysterious, distant-relative's estate
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:6
Number of Rooms:45
Number of Monsters:238
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:11 (+11 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Great Uncle Yurgess Hold.hold (112.4 KB)
Downloaded 2436 times.
License: Other
icon Great Uncle Yurgess' Hold  
Are you in need of a sizable loan? Maybe your rich great uncle has some menial task for you to do at his place far out in the country...

... wait, you don't have a rich great uncle?

Well, Beethro's Great Uncle has sent back a reply, "Yes, I am very much looking forward to your arrival."

In this hold, adventure is just a secret-passage away! Strange things abound and, as is natural, things get stranger the deeper you go.

This short hold has 14 rooms of puzzles and monsters, with plenty of story and action in between. Plus, characters with funny names.
11-05-2005 at 11:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
MeckMeck GRE
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 594
icon Small bug I noticed (+1)  
Level 3 / 4N2W : I solved the room facing north ! This brain dosent really prevent me doing this by saying "Reenter and retry" every some moves. What I want to say :

Click here to view the secret text

Anyway... those brain challenges are really the highlight of the hold. Very well (especially 3N)

[Last edited by MeckMeck GRE at 11-06-2005 10:44 AM]
11-06-2005 at 10:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sergenth
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 296
icon Re: Great Uncle Yurgess' Hold (+5)  
Meckmeck:

That's hilarious! Alot of "leaks" like that were picked up in the Architecture forum, and for one,

Now I must figure out how to exploit your finding for the next hold.

As long as rooms are completable, I will hold off on updating the hold file until some game-ending bug is encountered, like exiting a room and going back in to find it unsolvable due to a scripting mistake.

11-06-2005 at 09:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
icon Re: Great Uncle Yurgess' Hold (0)  
Its great to see a hold with such a strong storyline. The puzzles weren't extremely hard, but they were almost all unique ideas which made it very fun to play. There were a few scripting problems with scripts repeating after you've completed the room and reentered, but overall it was a nice hold.
11-06-2005 at 09:45 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
icon Re: Great Uncle Yurgess' Hold (+1)  
Level 3: 3N2W and 4N2W have unintended solutions.

The Level 3 rooms are interesting. I would've liked the evil eye puzzles if they were a little more challenging.
11-06-2005 at 09:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sergenth
TripleM sez:

The puzzles weren't extremely hard, but they were almost all unique ideas which made it very fun to play.

Thanks! That's where I was aiming. There's a place for mind-crunching challenges, just not in my holds! Haha!

larrymurk noticed:

Level 3: 3N2W and 4N2W have unintended solutions.

Would you be able to secret tag the unintended solution for 3N2W... I'm baffled. Messing that up *should* keep the door closed and force a retry, but I can see how a scripting error could creep in.
11-07-2005 at 12:46 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I think this is a really nice hold - fun puzzles, and an interesting, well-written story. My only complaint is that it lacks polish - a lot of scripts repeat if you reenter the room, and some of the stairs that backtrack lead to the wrong level entrance. Still, minor issues in a hold I'm enjoying a lot.

11-07-2005 at 06:31 PM
Sergenth
Eyetanz declares:

My only complaint is that it lacks polish

I would strongly contest that! I polished it quite well, but when I put it in the water, I found that no amount of smoothness or shiny things can fix leaks. :lol

I did look for and quash as many of the "NPC-left-the-room-but-is-stil-there-when-you-return scripting errors", but I allowed "NPC-hasn't-finished-what-he-was-saying-or-doing scripting redos upon re-entry", simply because I didn't want errant exiting of a room to let players miss some vital jibe between characters.

Since I'll be allowing backtracking/adventuring in the next hold, I will keep your critique in mind, because small things bug me too. Maybe I'll lock the player in a room for every event :P
11-08-2005 at 12:10 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I definitely can see that there's a balance here between allowing players to miss important conversation and creating a realistic feeling where the same conversations don't occur more than once. There are places, however, which are clearly wrong - in L2 1N1W, for instance, Beethro repeats his "I get to go in my own pace" every time you go through. And, as I mentioned the stairway back from level 3 leads to the wrong end of level 2.

Again, these are tiny things and not really important compared to the good stuff in the hold. I'm extra-sensitive to them, though, partially because I trained myself to notice this sort of thing during JtRH development (I gave JtRH the first play-through, before the beta started).

11-08-2005 at 12:23 AM
wookie2424
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
Such a fun and charming little hold! Please tell me there's a sequel coming soon!!!
11-08-2005 at 04:29 AM
Oneway
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
A very entertaining hold.. Lots of fancy scripting and storytelling.

But most of all i laughed when i noticed your little 'Futurama' reference.

Well done!
11-08-2005 at 03:58 PM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
An interesting hold, worth a 8 for me, and five brains on my scale (the same as KDD, with some easy rooms and some harder ones).

I cannot say I enjoyed the story much; I do not play DROD for stories though, so there is probably a link between the two. I did enjoy the rooms quite a lot however, especially levels 2 and 3. Most of them involve an original concept, and they are well executed; definitively fun the whole way through.
12-11-2005 at 11:11 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Fun fun fun! Not difficult, but quite enjoyable.

05-15-2006 at 04:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
roach strangler
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 57
I liked it but next time make it harder but not to hard. It sounds like there is another one coming out and im going to play it. :D
05-16-2006 at 10:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
tokyokid
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 453
Whoo! 3 holds mastered in a day! Anyway... This hold is amazing. I absolutely loved it! The puzzles were excellent with awesome scripting. Perfect for the medium player like me. Virtually no flaws, no unintentional solutions, either. With only one harrowing trip to the H&S board, I am very proud of myself for beating this wonderful hold. The story was captivating, the details added to the value of the hold.

Level 2 2N1E has to be one of my favorite rooms of all time! This hold is ranked very highly on my favorite holds list.

I am happy to give this hold 4.5 brains and a 10 rating. I can't wait for a sequel (if there will be one!). Great work! :D
01-27-2007 at 11:46 PM
Danteslives
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 48
This hold is a classic. I wonder why there arenīt any more holds by this author. Great story telling, funny, a little short on puzzles but the puzzles are great if a little easy. Best hold for an hour of fun!
10-07-2007 at 07:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
da rogu3
Rank Points: 491
icon Re: Great Uncle Yurgess' Hold (+2)  
Just conquered this the other day. Overall, I think it was a very enjoyable hold. The aesthetics were especially impressive, particularly in level 1. There were also some very unique puzzles, my favourites were 3N2W and 3N on level 3. The scripting was also quite clever. I think that this hold ranks among the top in terms of being fairly easy to play through, but still offering a very rewarding and well polished experience.

A true classic, nice work :thumbsup

Edit: Another thing I forgot to mention - the hold has brilliant dialogue. Despite not having any voice acting, I was still able to imagine the voice and emotions of all the characters. This, the engaging plot, and well thought out level design helps create a terrific sense of atmosphere.

[Last edited by da rogu3 at 04-24-2011 04:00 PM]
04-11-2011 at 05:12 PM
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
This was a really fun hold to play. Nothing overly complicated and meandering through rubble could get a bit tedious but some of the puzzles were very interesting and having the story and script was quite entertaining as well.

Additionally

Thanks!

[Last edited by west.logan at 05-06-2011 09:57 PM]
05-06-2011 at 09:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Moo
Rank Points: 224
This was good. Interesting but not too difficult.

I also found a funny thing: L1 2W, you can use the mimic to kill Yurgess, and open the door to the "viewing box" and wander around outside too.
04-22-2012 at 03:32 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Thanks for commenting on this hold as it reminded me I hadn't commented on it myself...

Thoroughly enjoyed this one. One of the few story lines I actually followed with interest and overall fun rooms.
04-22-2012 at 10:58 AM
OneMoreNameless
Rank Points: 131
icon Re: Great Uncle Yurgess' Hold (-1)  
I would like to call Great Uncle
Yurgess' Hold a bad hold, but
that would imply that it
was actually a hold and not just I'm not continuing this joke passable fanfiction in a rather awkward format to read. There is a lot of dialogue and it might have been entertaining on its own, but progressing between rooms consisted of (as far as I played):

- Smashing through twisty secret wall.
- Smashing through twisty secret wall.
- Walking down a twisty pass, smashing through occasional broken wall and watching scripted NPCs masquerade as monsters.
- Walking down a twisty pass, smashing through occasional broken wall and abruptly restarting the room after a hidden script spawned actual monsters around the player.
- A simple hoard fight, interrupted multiple times by dialogue popping up for flavour or in one case to warn against a scenario (getting stuck after crossing force arrows) which I'm pretty sure wasn't even possible in that room.
- Killing a seemingly impossible scripted monster by smashing through a secret wall.
- Clearing a seemingly impossible non-scripted monster room by smashing through secret walls.

I can't believe I was linked from Uncle Arable's Rooms to this, what the heck.
05-03-2013 at 10:26 AM
da rogu3
Rank Points: 491
OneMoreNameless wrote: I can't believe I was linked from Uncle Arable's Rooms to this, what the heck.
:huh

I think it's quite clear you want the pure puzzle solving experience from DROD. Numerous other people think this hold is excellent - perhaps this type of hold simply isn't for you?
05-03-2013 at 06:11 PM
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
Not a terribly challenging hold, but a fantastic use of early DROD scripting. This hold won't take you long to play through, so you should really check it out if you haven't.

05-25-2021 at 09:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Great Uncle Yurgess' Hold (A jaunt underneath a mysterious, distant-relative's estate) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com