Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : DDDROD Revolution (A wild idea)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Maurog
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1501
IP: Logged
icon DDDROD Revolution (+4)  
Well, my brother recently bought a dance pad (you know that mat that you dance on to basically press keys). Now, here is what you need to enter DROD into an arcade video game parlor:

- You will need a dance pad with 9 functional directions.
- You will need the two turning buttons, which I think need to be punched (something like puch bags).
- You will need to introduce a time limit on each move.
- You will need some really funky music.

Now, the gameplay would be something like that - you choose a room, have some time to inspect it, and then you have to dance on the play mat to solve the room. If you think too much before moving you get some negative feedback which cumulatively may lose the game for you.

This is just a crazy idea. Don't hit me.

07-08-2005 at 08:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: DDDROD Revolution (0)  
That would be awesome. Some of those pads output like a keyboard, don't they? If so, then you could hook up the pad to regular DROD and start playing.

Woooooow. That is blowing my mind.

-Erik

07-08-2005 at 08:07 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Playstation DDR pad can be hooked up to your computer, and yes, can be programmed to do keyboard functions. If you're really that desperate, yes, you /can/ do it. XD
07-08-2005 at 08:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1916
Scary, you people are scary...

Then again, it would be awfully funny to play DROD by hopping around. It could be a new exercise program!
07-08-2005 at 09:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ClaytonW
Rank Points: 961
Most Dancepads I've seen have a total of 10 buttons, and they're laid out quite nicely for DROD:

Select    Start

<^     ^     ^>

<             >

<V     v     V>

Arrows function as expected, with Select being Counter-clockwise, and Start being Clockwise. All that's missing is the Wait button. But with a timer, not hitting an arrow in the given time could be penalized as forcing a "wait." Anybody know of any pads with a center button? This could definitely be done. Of course, with a center button, and all buttons in use for DROD, there could be no auto-repeat for moves. Every move would have to be stomped individually.

Another option would be to play with a dancepad + a gamepad with triggers. There's plenty of them out there. The use the dancepad for stepping, and use the left trigger on the gamepad for Counter-clockwise, and the right trigger for clockwise, and a button of your choice for waiting. Definitely possible.

If I had expendable income right now, I would definitely go for it.
07-08-2005 at 09:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Oh! Oh! Oh! This is so tempting for me to test out.

From my limited DDR knowledge and knowledge of the pads, aren't there some that have a center button as well? That would work perfectly for wait. As for the pads themselves, I think they show up as joysticks in Windows rather than keyboards, and I'm not sure whether DROD currently recognizes HID devices...

*checks*

Crap. Linux DROD doesn't seem to want to use my Rumblepad. I'm not sure how hard it would be to patch the game to recognize and use HID compliant joysticks, so it looks like you would have to get a DDR pad that works like a keyboard (If they exist).

This is so tempting for me to do some more research on. I think that it could truely be an interesting addition to the DROD world.

07-08-2005 at 09:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Bombadil
Rank Points: 522

Where do I have to sign?
07-09-2005 at 01:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
SbCl3
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 61
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
Oh! Oh! Oh! This is so tempting for me to test out.

From my limited DDR knowledge and knowledge of the pads, aren't there some that have a center button as well? That would work perfectly for wait. As for the pads themselves, I think they show up as joysticks in Windows rather than keyboards, and I'm not sure whether DROD currently recognizes HID devices...

*checks*

Crap. Linux DROD doesn't seem to want to use my Rumblepad. I'm not sure how hard it would be to patch the game to recognize and use HID compliant joysticks, so it looks like you would have to get a DDR pad that works like a keyboard (If they exist).

This is so tempting for me to do some more research on. I think that it could truely be an interesting addition to the DROD world.

If you want a way to link a PS pad to the computer so that it doesn't map to XY axises, get the ems-usb2. However, I can't get it to work in linux. People say they can, but I can't find a driver anywhere. You might figure it out, though.

This seems like a silly idea to me. Most of he time beethro is going in a straight line for multiple turns, so the pad play would be rather boring.
07-09-2005 at 02:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
SbCl3 wrote:
This seems like a silly idea to me. Most of he time beethro is going in a straight line for multiple turns, so the pad play would be rather boring.
Rooms could be specially constructed with the DDDROD experience in mind. Smaller area, maybe. Less straight lines and more twisty passages.

-Erik

07-09-2005 at 02:37 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
SbCl3 wrote:
If you made specially constructed rooms for the occasion, it could be both challenging and fun. Just like what Splinter Cell 3 did for cooperative missions - they made special ones for two players. (That could work for DROD, now that I think about it, but I digress) The rooms would be ones that involve a specific set movement. Beethro's Dance of Death would be a perfect hold for a mat version of DROD, to start with.

Edit: *sigh* - That's what I get for not previewing the page and leaving my computer for a bit.

[Last edited by gamer_extreme_101 at 07-09-2005 02:46 AM]
07-09-2005 at 02:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Two player DROD could work, if the dungeons were made for it. If you've ever played Majora's Mask, you'd want it to run something like that dungeon where Kafei and Link work together to get the Sun Mask before it drops into that hole.

As for this, if you did make dungeons specifically for it, you'd have to have a life bar. Really. It'd change what dungeons you could make, but since we're adding a timer, well.
07-09-2005 at 09:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
You don't even need a 9-square pad for the directions actually... if it is possible to map the keys to account for double presses (you have two legs after all). So it's North + West for the Northwest direction and so on. Which conveniently leaves the Northwest and Northeast for rotation clockwise and widdershins.

07-10-2005 at 09:26 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Alternatively, to make it less complicated, you could use a three-button mouse for rotating and undo/wait, as you could just grasp that in one hand while you play.

07-10-2005 at 05:42 PM
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
Maurog wrote:
You don't even need a 9-square pad for the directions actually... if it is possible to map the keys to account for double presses (you have two legs after all). So it's North + West for the Northwest direction and so on. Which conveniently leaves the Northwest and Northeast for rotation clockwise and widdershins.

*Turnwise* and widdershins ;)

Foot combos seems ideal. With 8 directions, it might be better move directions were left intact, and combos for rotating the sword. W+NE for widdershins, E+NW for turnwise seems natural to me. W+E to wait a turn. N+S to undo, etc.
07-10-2005 at 06:08 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
icon Re: DDDROD Revolution (+1)  
And a quick search shows me that I'm not the first person to think along these lines.

Two recent items:

1) I've been playing a lot of DROD
2) I just bought a Playstation 2 with Dance Dance Revolution accessories

So I was lying in bed this morning around 5:30 or so, trying to tell myself that I didn't have to get up yet...(I did), and mostly still dozing.

And I had this semi-dream. There was Beethro, sliding around the room, swinging his sword.

And there were the glowing arrows, scrolling up the screen.

They may not have actually been related, since it wasn't what you'd call a lucid dream...but still.

How could you not like the idea of DROD DROD Revolution?

(I shall probably be content to leave this as a dream, since I'm a much better DRODder than I am a DDRer.)

But, well, I felt like sharing.

07-18-2006 at 06:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NekoIncardine
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 127
As the resident DDR fan (who's busy with two jobs and a DDR simfile contest over at Bemanistyle, thus why I'm not here so much as late), let me add two caveats and two ideas for this:

Caveats:
1) A large majority of DDR pads lack a center button - but this is a good thing for many types of play conditions. Why? You need to be able to rest your foot SOMEWHERE...
2) Anyone who's a hardcore DDR'er AND hardcore DRODDer is going to be racing for time and moves if this becomes popular.... For some reason, I want to see the very last 'puzzle' room of JtRH played to Pandemonium now that I think about it. o_O;

Ideas:
1) If someone could figure out how to use a Wii controller on a PC, you have three buttons there. The a and b held under the right thumb to rotate, the a by the dpad under the left to wait. No motion sensitivity or nunchuck needed :D
2) It's funny that I had a dream about this a few days ago, though there it was just a silly "I wonder if Stepmania's theming engine could be converted for use for DROD" type thing. ("Select a hold!")

07-18-2006 at 07:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
miketo
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 61
icon Re: DDDROD Revolution (+2)  
This is totally wild, and totally cool. Especially if the rooms are set up with various skill levels. My wife, who enjoys DDR, doesn't play DROD -- but I bet she would with this idea.

I can't DDR, due to a bad back. But how about YogaDROD? "Start in Mountain pose. As you move to Warrior 1 pose, kill the roach to your left and step one space forward...."
07-18-2006 at 07:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Niccus
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 308
Am I the only thinking that a giant plastic sword would be appropriate? -_-
07-19-2006 at 12:04 AM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
That should be a Wiimote shell! Holy cow, that would be so awesome.

07-19-2006 at 01:40 AM
Hikari
Rank Points: 438
Niccus wrote:
Am I the only thinking that a giant plastic sword would be appropriate? -_-
I would *so* buy that.

Hey Erik, we need a DROD-branded plastic sword at the appropriate scale available to buy! ;)

07-19-2006 at 01:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3640
You could get it in sizes Big, Really Big, and Ultra Big.

07-19-2006 at 01:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Bunches
Rank Points: 192
This is a totaly sweet idea!
07-20-2006 at 04:43 PM
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
icon Re: DDDROD Revolution (+2)  
Chaco wrote:
You could get it in sizes Big, Really Big, and Ultra Big.
Known in Dugandy as "insuffcient", "roach-grade" and "overcompensating".
07-21-2006 at 08:57 AM
Hikari
Rank Points: 438
icon Re: DDDROD Revolution (+1)  
And of course, we can't forget 'OMGWTF Big', known in Dugandy as 'Did you just kill a *snake* with that sword?'

07-21-2006 at 09:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
skell
Rank Points: 3757
Hehe, I love this idea. And the double button idea (where pressing both S+W to go South-west instead of pressing one) is also great :).

I'm a happy owner of dancing pad, so I'd be gladgladgladgladgladgladgladgladgladgladgladglad(Did you know that glad uses only One buttons line on keyboard?) and happyhappyhappyhappyhappy and [...] to have it. It's a supercalifragilisticexpialidocious idea (Did I wrote it right?).

07-23-2006 at 03:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Bunches
Rank Points: 192
skell wrote:
It's a supercalifragilisticexpialidocious idea (Did I wrote it right?).

I always thought that it was supercalafragilisticexpialidocious
07-23-2006 at 06:12 PM
skell
Well, google and wikipedia says my verison is correct so... :)

07-23-2006 at 07:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
googa
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 282
Cool.
Maurog wrote:
- You will need the two turning buttons, which I think need to be punched (something like puch bags).
No, not a punch bag or button....
...A sword please! :)

[Last edited by googa at 07-23-2006 08:05 PM]
07-23-2006 at 08:03 PM
Banjooie
What you'd do is, you'd have a sword in front that you could rotate ala a steering wheel. Push it in the appropriate direction to turn your sword.

There is a neat little question here about what's wrong with that idea I choose not to bring up.
07-23-2006 at 11:56 PM
skell
Ymm. THere is even a better way. You know, it is possible to make sword which will simulate button pushing when moved in appropriate speed. You know centrifugal force or something:). THAT would be really cool ;).

07-24-2006 at 07:46 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : DDDROD Revolution (A wild idea)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com