Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : The Hunt for The Grinfidel (Potions, bombs, golems and Grinfidels.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.6/10 (17 votes)
σ 2.00
Author Name:Jacob
Submitted By:Jacob
Hold Name:The Hunt for The Grinfidel
Theme:Potions, bombs, golems and Grinfidels.
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:3
Number of Rooms:24
Number of Monsters:363
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:1 (+2 / -1)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: The Hunt for The Grinfidel.hold (18.3 KB)
Downloaded 2204 times.
License: Other
icon The Hunt for The Grinfidel  
This hold is part 3 in the on-going story of Beethro and the Grinfidel, but can, of course, be played without playing the other holds.

Thanks to Tim and Blondbeard for playtesting.
06-07-2005 at 03:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jacob
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3741
icon Re: The Hunt for The Grinfidel (0)  
You may want to turn off sound for the first room alone, it requires you to use a decoy to hit an orb, a feature I neglected to change. Other than that, enjoy.

06-07-2005 at 03:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
cchittleborough
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 32
icon Re: The Hunt for The Grinfidel (+1)  
Jacob wrote:
You may want to turn off sound for the first room alone, it requires you to use a decoy to hit an orb, a feature I neglected to change. Other than that, enjoy.

Um, no, it doesn't. See my 182-move solution on CaravelNet.

I chose that approach mainly because it was quieter, and was astonished to find that (1) no one else had tried it and (2) the intended approach takes more moves!

Other than that, I am enjoying this hold (except for being stuck in L21N1E :?). Thanks again, Jacob.

10-03-2005 at 10:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
OK, all done with this one. A nice, bite-size hold, with some good puzzles and cool scripting.

The last room is, well, pretty tough and pretty clever.

Kudos to Jacob for another great hold!

Josh

05-01-2006 at 04:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kmt
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 26
icon Re: The Hunt for The Grinfidel (+3)  
On my best days, I am only an average DROD player. I really appreciate holds that are fun and challenging to players like me. Holds like this one. Ordinarily, I would have rated it highly. I don't want to give anything away, but Potions 'n' Bombs 1S is not fair. If you miss the trick in that room, it has dire consequences. Maybe most players catch it, but I didn't. Because I didn't the rest of the level became tedious in a certain way. (If you got through this room correctly and are wondering what I mean, check out the H&S post for this room.) This is why I gave a relatively lower rating to a hold that otherwise would have been very good.
12-31-2007 at 03:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3741
There is fair warning. But I agree it's not the nicest of tricks.

12-31-2007 at 07:06 PM
Karipto
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 79
icon Re: The Hunt for The Grinfidel (+1)  
I recently finished the Grinfidel series, and I have to say they were quite enjoyable. However, both this hold and The Final Confrontation had intimidating starting rooms, but once I got past them, it was a really enjoyable experience. Even though the gimmick on the first level was a bit irritating, it wasn't too painful once I realized what needed to happen.

The only other downside for me was that this was a relatively short hold compared to the other entries in the series.

Rating a 6 for difficulty, with an 8 for fun.
04-14-2021 at 10:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : The Hunt for The Grinfidel (Potions, bombs, golems and Grinfidels.) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com