Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : SubTerra, and its sequel SubTerra 2 (Also available for Linux)
Page 1 of 7
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
IP: Logged
icon SubTerra, and its sequel SubTerra 2 (+2)  
Both SubTerra 1 and SubTerra 2 can be downloaded from our website: The first game and the Sequel.

And, not for the faint of heart, here's the Hall of Fame.
Finally, here's a list of suggestions for level design.

[Last edited by Radiant at 06-10-2014 09:24 PM]
05-10-2005 at 09:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 915
icon Re: SubTerra now available (+1)  
Hey, look, I'm still the only other ultimate after all this time.

I remember a couple years ago, shortly before my mom died, I was working on some bugfixes for some expansion levels... That must have been one of the threads I lost in the cancer/death/mourning period. Sorry about never getting back to you. I lost a lot of things then.

05-10-2005 at 10:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Radiant
icon Re: SubTerra now available (0)  
Hey Silver! Good to see you again! Small world, isn't it?
But I'm sorry to hear about your mother.

05-10-2005 at 10:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Zmann
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 241
Gah. I'm having some problems. When I run the game, I get the error message "Error reading library file", but I have redownloaded and reinstalled twice.

Help me!
05-10-2005 at 10:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
When I looked before the downloads were working, I thought I saw a link to a Linux download. Do you have a Linux version we can download, or are you not planning on providing that?

++Adam H. Peterson
05-10-2005 at 10:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Zmann wrote:
Gah. I'm having some problems. When I run the game, I get the error message "Error reading library file", but I have redownloaded and reinstalled twice.

Help me!

Same problem here. No idea what else to do..
05-11-2005 at 07:17 AM
The Stew Boy
Rank Points: 247
When I looked at the hall of fame, I saw my name there, but no score. How do I get my score in there?
And by the way, I get the same error:
[FileErr] Error reading library file.
The data file seems to be corrupted or missing.
You should download and reinstall the game.

Edit: Luckily, I found an older version of ST on my computer, and that works. But when I tried using the 2004 level set, in the first level, Intro, the gem limit was 10 but there was only one gem there! So you can't really get to the other levels without cheating. (And by the way the game is running really slow, or really fast.)
And also, (third edit) when I was trying out Tongue Twister, I was running along the Drake corridor and fell off the end of the map. It's true!

[Edited by The Stew Boy at Local Time:05-11-2005 at 08:39 AM]
05-11-2005 at 08:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Radiant
DOH, that's what I get for being hasty.
WIll fix it tonight, sorry.

05-11-2005 at 08:30 AM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
There won't be much chance of being able to download one file to fix it will there, rather than download the whole thing again? ;)
05-11-2005 at 10:59 AM
MasterGiga
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 67
TripleM wrote:
There won't be much chance of being able to download one file to fix it will there, rather than download the whole thing again? ;)

Let's hope so TripleM because I'm having that problem too. :yes

05-11-2005 at 01:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
I had difficulties in installing the game. The install file called "Subterra.exe" was in the same directory where I was installing the game and because of that, the install didn't create the game executable "Subterra.exe" because the install was already there.

After I renamed the setup before running it, it worked but after that I got the same error as TripleM, Zmann and MasterGiga.

Another thing: The file size of the download on the site should be 6,6Mb instead of 4,6Mb
05-11-2005 at 01:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dali
Rank Points: 174
I found abother link where you find the game. I think that one is better:
http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/subterra/

In the other link, crystalshard, when I installed it won't work. By downloading the game form this website normally it'll work. It's even subterra's website!
05-11-2005 at 02:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
Dali wrote:
I found abother link where you find the game. I think that one is better:
http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/subterra/
This is a shareware demo, though. If you wait for Pieter to fix the problem, then you can get the whole game free.

-Erik

05-11-2005 at 05:29 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Radiant
icon Re: SubTerra now available (+1)  
Library error now fixed. You can download again, or go to
http://crystalshard.net/dls/patch.exe
for a quick patch (copy file onto your SubTerra directory, delete the old executable and rename this one).

05-11-2005 at 06:20 PM
The Stew Boy
I found a bug:
When I started up the game, I seemed to have about 10 levelsets. I scrolled down, and there was one (Zozo and Isi I think) not shown in the menu. However, when I did get to it, no writing showed, and the game froze for about 5 seconds. Then it quit, with no error message I can find.
05-12-2005 at 08:39 AM
Radiant
Since there aren't that many levelsets, it seems likely that you have duplicate sets by varying names. You should delete levelsets until you have only one each of the following:
2002, 2003 and 2004 contests
Supaplex Selection
Zozo & Isi
Push-it Puzzles

05-12-2005 at 09:28 AM
Tscott
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 382
Very cool so far. I didn't make it too far past the tutorial, but I was very impressed when I finally got to the actual levels. (Now I'm torn between playing on and going back to find the secrets in the tutorial- I found none in my first time through.)

One thing I did notice was that the number pad's 2,4,6,8 work for general character movement, but once I got to the special moves involving shift and ctrl, those didn't work with the number pad- they still move you normally when those keys are held down. This lead to a bit of frustration on my end until I figured out what was going on and switched to the arrow keys instead.

I'd expect other new players from this site to run into this as well as DROD's movement commands default to the number pad and I just automatically used them for this game too without thinking twice

05-12-2005 at 01:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
MasterGiga
Rank Points: 67
Okay, I finally got to play it (thankfully with the patch).

Its just that type of game to keep me laughing after I get crushed by the elements. Speaking of which, I really like the various elements in this game. My favorite so far has to be the transforming things...They are the green things that change objects into other things, like gems.

However, I am stuck on that very level right now. Its the first one with any transformers...I have to collect enough gems to open the exit. But maybe I'll be able to do it sooner or later. :weep

[Edited by MasterGiga at Local Time:05-12-2005 at 09:13 PM]

05-12-2005 at 09:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
AlefBet wrote:
When I looked before the downloads were working, I thought I saw a link to a Linux download. Do you have a Linux version we can download, or are you not planning on providing that?
Bumping this question. I'd really love to play it, but I'm unable to break from Linux right now.

05-13-2005 at 12:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Radiant
It runs in WINE. Also, I'm trying to find a Linux machine to recompile the Linux version.

If you're stuck, you're welcome to ask hints in this forum, of course. Please start a new thread and provide the level name.

05-13-2005 at 12:00 PM
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
Radiant wrote:
It runs in WINE.
It doesn't work here (latest Wine). It installs fine, runs fine, but if I try to start a game I can't do anything, and have to kill Wine. Are there any tricks to making it work ?
Also, I'm trying to find a Linux machine to recompile the Linux version.
I'd offer to compile it for you, but I'm a little bit busy with other things at the moment. I'd be happy to help you out in a couple of weeks, though :)

- Gerry
05-13-2005 at 04:14 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Well, if you gave me directions on how to compile the code, I would gladly help you out with the situation. I'd probably need a couple of pointers, but I should be able to figure most of it out by myself or with my good friend Google.

Edit: Ack! I'd probably need the code as well. :? If you want some help, PM me and I'll give you my email and what-not for you.

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 at Local Time:05-13-2005 at 09:59 PM]

05-13-2005 at 09:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The Stew Boy
There is something which I don't like about the music: When you test a level in the editor, then go back to the editor (ie dying etc) the music from the start menu comes up. Not that its bad music or anything, but I'm getting a bit sick of it.
05-14-2005 at 09:17 AM
The Stew Boy
Further on that (I don't know how to edit your posts), when you are at the menu, and the start music is playing, and you start playing one of the levels, sometimes the music keeps on playing and doesn't switch to the proper music. And when you exit a level, the music that was playing during that level doesn't change to the usual start music.
05-14-2005 at 09:30 AM
Darkmatt
Rank Points: 51
The menu music playing in the editor is sooo annoying. I have to turn off the music!

I like how if you complete a level, the music goes on though. Especially in the editor.
05-16-2005 at 07:22 PM
Radiant
Okay, point taken :) given enough bug reports I'll eventually make a new version.

05-16-2005 at 10:09 PM
The Stew Boy
Strange bug:
I was testing my level, when I accidentally pressed shift+F11. This screen came up with lots of TileSc errors or something of the sort. I tried with ctrl+F11 and the same thing happened. Then, when I tried to edit the level, it went all funny and I couldn't seem to place anything in the level. If I clicked on a player, in the level, with left mouse button, the player became the selected object for the left mouse button and I couldn't place anything. I quit the editor, then tried again and I still couldn't edit anything. So I quit the whole game, then started it up and everything worked fine.
I strangely haven't been able to replicate it yet, though.

Another bug: In the editor, when I roll the mouse over the slimey, it says in the bar at the bottom of the screen "Warrior". Now isn't that ST2? :)

[Edited by The Stew Boy at Local Time:05-21-2005 at 07:59 AM]
05-20-2005 at 11:11 AM
Darkmatt
Yano what'd be really, really nice?

Being able to test your levels in hard mode! X_X
05-21-2005 at 08:58 PM
Radiant
That's easy - just don't walk into the blue exit.

05-22-2005 at 08:04 PM
Darkmatt
It's not that simple,

did I do it within the time limit? Did I get enough gems? XD

You did made Hard Mode for a reason didn't you?!?
05-22-2005 at 08:42 PM
Page 1 of 7
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : SubTerra, and its sequel SubTerra 2 (Also available for Linux)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com