Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : The Domain of the Grinfidel (Beethro sets out for revenge)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.7/10 (43 votes)
σ 2.28
Author Name:Jacob
Submitted By:Jacob
Hold Name:The Domain of the Grinfidel
Theme:Beethro sets out for revenge
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:8
Number of Rooms:71
Number of Monsters:982
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:5 (+5 / -0)
Poster Message
kingpr
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 29
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Domain of the Grinfidel (0)  
Just to say at the outset I really - REALLY - like this hold. I thought it very clever. However, I am now very frustrated. I got through to level 4 and then go round and round the stairs back to level 4. I've read through all the posts for hints and find mysterious discussions about "the secret place". Well it's so secret I can't find it. Please can someone help? Or am I missing something blindingly obvious. There is no need to be cryptic in your response. At this stage I am desparate enough for an outright cheat, direct email will be fine.

Many, many thanks!!!

Peter
07-04-2005 at 09:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jacob
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3746
Hey, I thought I'd corrected the level 4 stairs bug/slip-up in my updated version. If not, you're right in saying that you can get from level 4 to 5 via The Secret Place. The stairs to this level are hidden
Click here to view the secret text
. Hope you get to level 5 one way or the other and continue to enjoy the hold.
If there's still a problem, get back to me.

07-04-2005 at 11:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kingpr
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 29
Maybe I have an old version. This sounds more fun anyway. Thanks for the help, if the rest is like the beginning I'm looking forward to it already!
07-04-2005 at 12:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jjohn7418
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 161
Hi,
I am having a problem downloading this hold. I was able to download the other three parts, but when I try to inport this hold I get a message stating that the file is corupted.

I've tried downloading it about 4 times.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Jim

07-16-2005 at 01:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Anyone else having this difficulty? It may have happened since my update, I don't know.
If people PM me their e-mails I can e-mail the file to them.

07-16-2005 at 02:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
In Fourth, if you exit the room from the north east corner, you can't get back.
09-13-2005 at 12:04 AM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Out of curiosity, and in order to save myself any future headaches, let me propose a hypothetical:

Suppose I had this friend who was a big fan of DROD. Let's call him...umm...kbluestein.

Now, this friend went through and played a hold by Jacob called Labyrinthitis. And he was greatly pleased by the hold, finding the puzzles devious and challenging. Until, having conquered the hold, he set out to master it and discovered that he would have to redo 50% of the hold again due to some clever configurations of secrets.

This saddened my friend, and while his respect for Jacob's design skill and craftiness was not diminished, his fondness for the idea of encountering such a situation again was.

And so my friend asked me to post a little question here to this effect: Apparently, he's finished the first four levels of the hold and is staring at the fifth. He's pretty sure he missed a secret on the fourth level, and is willing to go back and hunt for it...but could also leave it for later.

Unless it turns out that it's now or never. So, the question is...are there any weird ordering issues in the gameplay that would prevent you from hunting for secrets after conquering the hold? I...umm, my friend was just wondering.

Thanks!

04-24-2006 at 05:58 PM
silver
Rank Points: 915
icon Re: The Domain of the Grinfidel (+2)  
I can think of no weird ordering issues.

But, then, I couldn't think of any in Labyrithitis, either - I'm not sure why you think you have to redo more than a room here and there to get into the secret room or rooms or level or levels.

[Last edited by silver at 04-24-2006 07:25 PM]
04-24-2006 at 07:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
icon Re: The Domain of the Grinfidel (+1)  
silver wrote:
But, then, I couldn't think of any in Labyrithitis, either - I'm not sure why you think you have to redo more than a room here and there to get into the secret room or rooms or level or levels.

You have to redo a whole level or more if you miss certain secrets, like some of us did. Said series of secrets need to be conquered in the same setting, as they allow to drop a blue door at the end, and reach the last secret. If you conquer all these secrets in sequence, you'll be fine, even if you miss all the others. If not, you'll need to redo a fair share of the hold.

It only applies to Labyrinthis in its JtRH incarnation, of course, and assuming our line of "nope, not mastered" players hasn't been overlooking something like a staircase or three.
04-24-2006 at 07:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jbluestein
silver wrote:
I think your friend needs to find out about how "mastering a hold" can be done one secret at a time from restore, and you don't have to also be able to exit the hold from your "mastered" position. once you've conquered a hold, your percentage goes up for each secret you conquer, even though those may well be "discontinuous time lines"

example: a hold consists of rooms A, B, C, and Secret.

You start in room A, but miss the path to Secret. you move on to B and C and exit the hold in C. You have now conquered the hold.

Now you restore to a save point in A and enter Secret and conquer it and return to A. No futher action (such as re-doing B and C) is required to count as "mastering" the hold. If there were a master wall in C, you could now restore to a save point in C and pass through it, _even though no 'path' exists between your exiting the secret room and your save game in C_.

Ah, well, my friend does understand this, but Labyrinthitis was somewhat unique in this respect:

04-24-2006 at 07:31 PM
silver
Rank Points: 915
jbluestein wrote:
Ah, well, my friend does understand this, but Labyrinthitis was somewhat unique in this respect...

to be clear, I edited because after re-reading, I realized the last sentence of your post implied that you did understand this.

I'm confident you can find secrets "after" in Domain of the Grinfindel.

I'm also confident that I could work up a list of rooms to visit in Lab-J which would comprise far less than 50% and allow you to access the secrets, but I'm at work.
EDIT: come to think of it. I'm not so confident anymore. I see what you mean about the blue door thing. I think that's a new innovation of his in Lab-J, though.

[Last edited by silver at 04-24-2006 08:23 PM]
04-24-2006 at 08:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
silver wrote:
jbluestein wrote:
Ah, well, my friend does understand this, but Labyrinthitis was somewhat unique in this respect...

to be clear, I edited because after re-reading, I realized the last sentence of your post implied that you did understand this.

I'm confident you can find secrets "after" in Domain of the Grinfindel.

I'm also confident that I could work up a list of rooms to visit in Lab-J which would comprise far less than 50% and allow you to access the secrets, but I'm at work.
EDIT: come to think of it. I'm not so confident anymore. I see what you mean about the blue door thing. I think that's a new innovation of his in Lab-J, though.

Ah...looks like I caught your response before it was edited. So, you understand, I understand that you understand, and you understand that I understand that you understand...understand? ;)

04-24-2006 at 08:33 PM
Jacob
The interlinked secret idea was used in Labyrinthitis and
I like the idea, but regret that it's caused such hassle and back-tracking.
It's not used in any of my other holds, e.g. this one, so enjoy.

04-24-2006 at 10:35 PM
jbluestein
OK, I've mastered this hold now, and...wow!

Great design, great puzzles.

I think that Jacob fits the definition of 'genre-stretcher' with his hold design -- the spiral, the seventh level, all really well done.

OK, I don't much care for orb puzzles, and even with all the in-game hints I was still stumped for quite a while on some of it. But still...a seriously great hold.

I give it a 10.

Josh (moving on to The Hunt for the Grinfidel...arrrggh!)

04-27-2006 at 03:41 PM
jbluestein
Just a followup note that I was surprised at the variation of difficulty in some of the rooms in this hold. Second, Third and Fourth were good, tough levels. Fifth was, for the most part, quite easy, and a lot of Sixth was quite manageable as well.

Not a complaint -- it was nice because my brain stopped hurting for long enough for me to admire the design. I was just surprised at the relative ease with which I was able to complete some of the rooms.

Suffice it to say that, so far, The Hunt for the Grinfidel does not appear to have the same problem, as I have yet to solve the first room. :?

04-27-2006 at 06:58 PM
Jacob
Thanks for the comments. It's good to hear that new people are playing and enjoying my holds. I don't think I was aiming for any great increases in difficulty; just for different types of puzzles and themes for each level.
Just a warning: The 2nd room in the Hunt for the Grinfidel (1S)is a little evil.

04-27-2006 at 09:26 PM
jbluestein
Jacob wrote:
Thanks for the comments. It's good to hear that new people are playing and enjoying my holds. I don't think I was aiming for any great increases in difficulty; just for different types of puzzles and themes for each level.
Just a warning: The 2nd room in the Hunt for the Grinfidel (1S)is a little evil.

I see what you mean. Fortunately, I think I'm familiar with this particular trick now.

Josh

04-28-2006 at 03:59 PM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4590
icon Re: The Domain of the Grinfidel (+2)  
Mastered a Jacob hold. I feel awesome :D

Sorry to bump this all the way from the last page of Holds, but I felt I had to share my thoughts. This is a really well-crafted hold: the theme of multi-entrance puzzles gives the whole thing a sense of exploration, so that every inch of progression feels like an achievement. The first level is almost a pure labyrinth (and a very cunning one) with some roaches thrown in, but later levels blend the exploration with excellent puzzles. One recurring theme is mimic puzzles where Beethro has very restricted movement; it's a testament to how well-designed these puzzles are that I found them much more fun than frustrating, even though mimics are one of my least favourite elements :P

This hold also has something that seems pretty rare in DROD -- a real sense of humour in some of the puzzle solutions. I particularly liked Secret Place : Entrance, which is honestly not difficult to figure out (there's not much else you can do), but it's just hilariously funny that such a silly idea actually works. ;)

Overall verdict:
5 brains
9 fun/quality

[Last edited by Nuntar at 05-13-2014 05:23 PM]
05-13-2014 at 03:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
azb
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 460
I'd just like to state that this hold has one of the best uses of room-to-room puzzles starting as early as the first level. Though it has a labyrinth feel, it has actual puzzles within the labyrinth as opposed to the tedious treks that are KDD level 13 or a handful of the entries in the RPG "Amazing Maze" contest.

Be warned of puzzles involving serpent manipulation and wraithwing coaxing, however.

Overall, highly recommended for its original concept and brilliant execution!

8 Fun
4 Brains

07-23-2017 at 09:49 PM
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
I just played through the hold and had a good time with it, so I want to recommend it. In particular, if you like multi-room puzzles there are some good ones here.

09-15-2019 at 03:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : The Domain of the Grinfidel (Beethro sets out for revenge)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com