Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Design Flaws
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ClaytonW
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 961
IP: Logged
icon Design Flaws (0)  
I\'m just spewing out whatever comes to mind, no real organization here, sorry.

---

Despite the difficulty of level 25, there are several design flaws. \'Neather kills are, of course, the most notable. If you discovered one (regardless if someone found it before you or not), then you\'ve apparently got a good grasp of DROD\'s gameplay and it\'s \"A.I.\" However, there are others to be found. A portion of the challenges on DROD.net were based on these flaws. On level 25, there are five rooms that you can leave even though there are monsters still alive and kicking. They are:

25:1N
25:1N,2W - duh!
25:2W
25:1S,2W
25:2S

Also on 25,

25:2S:1W - There\'s a simple way to destroy those serpents, and you don\'t even have to move any more than 7 squares from the entrance.

Other level goofs include:

24:1W - There\'s an a special spot near in the middle East chamber where you can stand still and the serpents will kill themselves trying to get to you. Then its up to you to just kill the remaining brains... easy, huh?

20:3N,1E - Hmm... Ditto. A challenge to the smitemasters: Don\'t let any serpents die until you\'ve removed all 8 brains.

18:1N,1E - Don\'t get your hands dirty! You can use the mimic to beat every monster in this room... Not that it\'s the easiest way, but what the hell.

12:2S,1E - You don\'t need the mimic to beat this room. Again, that doesn\'t mean its easier to do without it.

10:1S - Don\'t need the mimic here, either.

9:1N - Too many orbs in here. Just hit ONLY the NorthWestern most orb and you\'re home free.

9:4N,2E - Lucas goofed in the design of this room. The original plan was to first get as many roaches as possible into the SouthEast chamber, shut the door and kill about 37 of the little buggers. The flaw exists in the fact that you can close the East door, get some roaches into the hallway, then open the door again and smite them immediately. This is the method I always used on this room, it just seemed easier.

4:1S,1E - Useless mimic potion here, as well.

Granted, some of these might actually have been intentional. Also, did I miss any?
02-04-2003 at 07:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
icon Re: Design Flaws (0)  
2 things about 24 1W...One is that it\'s quite the challenge to have all of the snakes survive until you get to that room, and another thing is that there is a place in the sequence before that room where you are invincible as well. All snakes will die before any brains.

02-04-2003 at 08:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Korgath
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 23
I wouldnt call it a flaw as much as a useless feature but I\'ll say it just the same. The invisibility potions that let monsters smell you. Yea, they are only in 2 rooms but its not needed for either.
02-05-2003 at 05:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Yeah, I\'d really love seeing a level (fan-made? in a future expansion?) where using the invisibility potion is actually required... In the current level set, they are totally superfluous - in fact, when I first came across them in Caravel DROD I was exteremely surprised because they are so useless I forgot about their existance in Webfoot completely.

02-05-2003 at 12:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ClaytonW
When the level editor is released, you\'ll all have your chance to make rooms with required invisibility potions. I\'m pretty sure that a bunch of code was written into Caravel DROD regarding how different monsters react to invisibilty. (In Webfoot DROD, the rooms with invisibility potions contained only roaches and evil eyes.)
02-09-2003 at 07:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Scott
Rank Points: 578
I started looking at the levels you listed Clayton. I can\'t see any way to beat lvl 12 without the mimic. I can kill all but 1 snake but how do you kill that without the mimic?
02-27-2003 at 02:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ClaytonW
You have to coax it into the one-square opening at the top of the room.
02-27-2003 at 02:43 AM
levelthirteen
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 109
Useless mimic potions on the seventeenth level, too.(All they do is stab the tar the wrong way):eyes

03-05-2003 at 10:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Design Flaws
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com