Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Journey to Rooted Hold : Twenty-Second Level... secret room (yargh)
Page 1 of 4
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
zZah
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 36
IP: Logged
icon Journey to Rooted Hold : Twenty-Second Level... secret room (+1)  
I've been stuck in this room for several hours now.
Its the secret room that is the exact same as 2N2W only without the convenient bombs.
Does anyone have a victory demo for the room, or a good tip?
Thanks

[Edited by zZah at Local Time:04-12-2005 at 05:52 AM]
04-12-2005 at 05:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Abbyzzmal
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 348
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Twenty-Second Level... secret room (+2)  
Difficult room. Well here, in order of spoilerness:
Click here to view the secret text

04-12-2005 at 06:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 915
I was with you until the last secret tag... what I did was:

04-12-2005 at 06:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zZah
Rank Points: 36
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Twenty-Second Level... secret room (+1)  
Thanks for the swift answers.
But right after i asked for help, i clued into what i needed to do and finished the room easily.
but what a hackfest.
04-12-2005 at 06:29 AM
stigant
Rank Points: 1182

Another strategy worth knowing about is

04-12-2005 at 12:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
masonjason
Rank Points: 349
I still can't get into that middle-left pit.

04-17-2005 at 07:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
masonjason
Sorry about the bump... I know my previous post was pretty uninformative. Is there any more advice that can be given for this room, or am I on my own?

04-19-2005 at 02:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Abbyzzmal
Rank Points: 348
The middle left pit is the hardest one, and once you get it, everything else falls into place. The trick is:

I hope that helps. It's quite a room.
04-19-2005 at 02:37 PM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Twenty-Second Level... secret room (0)  
Oh Jeebus...this is one room I never did beat during testing...enough other people did that I took their word for it. ;) I finally did it tonight...staying up till 1 AM in the process (first time DROD's done that to me in about 2 years). It was so frustrating because I was pretty sure which chamber I had to do first...but I just couldn't do it. I was glad to get the confirmation from these hints...sometimes all you need to know is that it is possible with your method.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-20-2005 at 08:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
HopelessAmateur
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 177
zZah wrote:
i clued into what i needed to do and finished the room easily.
Blimey! I don't find it easy at all, and I've beaten it loads of times trying to get my score below 1200. How do you finish it 'easily'? :P
04-22-2005 at 12:01 AM
masonjason
This is the last room I need to master JtRH... I'm still not able to do it.
Look at picture

04-23-2005 at 08:33 PM
schep
Rank Points: 865
masonjason wrote:
is there still something I'm missing?
No, don't think so. The rest of your spoiler sounds like you've got some of the right ideas, but it's just a darn tricky situation. It took me many tries, and from the looks of this topic, some players with more experience than I have were tearing their hair out too. So, uh, keep trying?
04-23-2005 at 08:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
I think Abbyzmal's hint is probably the best one for the place you're at. At one point I retreated and tried to do something like silver suggested, but I couldn't get it to work, and it's part of why my demo for this room is over 3000 moves long...

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-23-2005 at 09:00 PM
masonjason
Heh, well I've got over 10000 moves so far. I'll keep trying, then.

04-23-2005 at 09:11 PM
masonjason
Finally completed! My demo is 12917 moves long. :D Oh well. Dreamplane, here I come.

04-23-2005 at 09:22 PM
Crazy Ivan
Rank Points: 38
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Twenty-Second Level... secret room (+3)  
As Abbyzzmal pointed out the third room to clean out is troublesome, however there's a trick:

Spoiler picture

kind regards,

Michael

[Edited by Crazy Ivan at Local Time:05-06-2005 at 10:25 AM]
05-06-2005 at 10:22 AM
Vertigo
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18
Crazy Ivan wrote:
Super awesome words.

THANK YOU!!!!

I've been on this room for literally weeks now and I finally beat it thanks to that.
05-14-2005 at 01:19 AM
philrennert
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 13
Hi, I'm stuck on this room - I've cleaned the lower left and right cubbies and I'm working on the third. For some reason, though I'm registered, I can't see the demos or spoiler pictures, or post.
Where do you put Halph ("position 1" in words?) to screen you while you clear the middle left?

Only two more rooms until Dreamplane...
05-18-2005 at 09:34 PM
krammer
Rank Points: 904
You need to activate your CaravelNet account and upload progress. You should have received instructions on this when you bought the game but if not:

Go to the Settings screen, enter your forum username in the CaravelNet name box, then click "request a new key". Check the email address you used for this board - you should have a code sent to you. Copy and paste this code into the CaravelNet Key box, then press Ok. You should now see a green checkmark in the topright corner and you'll have a trophy icon below your posts on the forum.

Now start playing and you should be able to access the room images.

"Oook!"
05-18-2005 at 10:07 PM
philrennert
When I request a new key on the Settings screen in DROD JtRH, it says I'm not a registered user of Caravelnet. Though when I try to register, it says I'm already registered.

05-18-2005 at 11:38 PM
Oneiromancer
You need to initially register with an e-mail that was sent to you when you purchased JtRH. If you can't find that e-mail, or it's not working, send one to erikh@caravelgames.net and he'll help you out.

For what it's worth, on this room, I tried to use Halph but it didn't work out so well. I ended up following the other suggestions...

There's not much of a margin of error here.

Game on,

05-18-2005 at 11:51 PM
philrennert
Thanks. I got an email when I first bought the game and did what it said, but I guess it didn't work. I'll try the email.

When I tried your suggestion, I kept getting driven into either the right or left middle alcove to survive the rush - I must not be doing it right.

05-19-2005 at 01:34 AM
philrennert
Also, when I try moving left,

05-19-2005 at 01:47 AM
Oneiromancer
You know...I really wish I could help more, but my demo is over 3000 moves due to all the things I tried to get this damn room. It's going to be too hard for me to watch the demo up to the point I finally got it and actually see what happened...without a rewind ability I think I'm going to have to defer to someone else who can exlain it better or supply a demo.

Game on,

05-19-2005 at 02:07 AM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
Oneiromancer wrote:
without a rewind ability
While the demo's playing, press left or right to go backward or forward a step. :P

05-19-2005 at 02:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Doh...I forgot that we have those now...did we always have them? I remember the speeding up and slowing down, guess I never tried left and right...

Anyway, I'll check tomorrow if no one else has answered.

Game on,

[Edited by Oneiromancer at Local Time:05-19-2005 at 05:37 AM]

05-19-2005 at 05:37 AM
swann_88
Rank Points: 87
well I mostly came here to say bibelot must be the horde master of DROD that demo was awesome

as for position 1

it is tricky to get him there but saved me almost 500 moves
05-20-2005 at 02:00 AM
philrennert
Thanks to all, I finally got it! I don't know exactly how, I was one step too late going into the mid-left, then I saved a step somehow...I see why you all had trouble describing it. I had Halph
- I don't know if that slowed the rush from the right or not, but I couldn't get him any higher.

No answer from erich; I don't know why they have security in the first place - will they lose money if someone sees a JtRH room? It was a lot better in the original DROD, anyone could see demos and post new topics...

One room to go to Dreamplane...

05-20-2005 at 10:59 PM
Oneiromancer
philrennert wrote:
No answer from erich; I don't know why they have security in the first place - will they lose money if someone sees a JtRH room? It was a lot better in the original DROD, anyone could see demos and post new topics...

Well, JtRH is a commercial hold, and if anyone could see images of every single room, then they could just recreate the entire hold in the editor and basically get all the puzzles for free, although of course they wouldn't get the characters and would probably not know where Halph and the Slayer were. But anyway, it is partly a security measure.

Actually, things have changed recently, so that anyone who has their CaravelNet account activated can view all of the non-secret rooms regardless of their progress in JtRH. If they want to see secret rooms or the Dreamplane on the forum, they have to have their progress uploaded. This explains why you can't see this room...it would be nice if you could check to see if you can see other, non-secret rooms on the forum.

If Erik isn't answering your e-mail, there's a topic on the Anything forum where people have been asking him if they saw their e-mails or not. (His spam filter is pretty unforgiving I guess.) You can post there too...I don't think he gets Hints & Solutions posts e-mailed to him, but he does get Anything posts mailed to him.

But since you are registered, the problem seems to be that your progress isn't updated. It is possible that you don't have one of the Internet options checked on the Settings screen. If you have Upload my scores checked, then just start the game and your progress should be updated. In order for all of your old scores to be uploaded, though, you need to click the button on the Settings screen in the upper left corner. It will take a while, but only the first time you do it.

Game on,

[Edited by Oneiromancer at Local Time:05-20-2005 at 11:06 PM]

05-20-2005 at 11:04 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
Sorry to be asking this. I've read all these hints and tried the room 10^37 times and still can't get into the third cubby.
Could someone send me a demo? It's the last room I need to complete to get to the Dreamplane. I could persevere I guess, but it's really stopped being enjoyable.

06-28-2005 at 07:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 1 of 4
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Journey to Rooted Hold : Twenty-Second Level... secret room (yargh)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com