Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : The Aboveground Style (and why it no longer deserves it's name)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
IP: Logged
icon The Aboveground Style (0)  
At the time when Aboveground was invented for The City Beneath, it was indeed used as a style to represent the surface. But then, official holds started using it for underground areas, even empire-controlled ones. We also got a few more styles for outdoor environments, so the name at this point is just an artifact.

What do you all think of officially renaming the style to "Rustic"?

10-30-2022 at 05:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 720
icon Re: The Aboveground Style (+1)  
The Archivists won't stand for that.

Don't really see a point in changing the name. Changing it would add needless confusion at this point.

10-31-2022 at 03:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1531
icon Re: The Aboveground Style (+2)  
I feel like this opens a can of worms. Like, how about every time the "City" style is used for something that's not a city? Or the "Caldera" style is used for non-volcano locations? Etcetera etcetera...

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

10-31-2022 at 04:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
hyperme
Rank Points: 1062
icon Re: The Aboveground Style (+2)  
Styles can't be renamed. This is actually a technical limitation related to how room serialization works.

Okay, they can be, but due to how rooms are saved, renaming a style means all the rooms currently using it will still refer to the old style. Sure, you could program in a "redirect" to make the game treat the old name as the new name, but you could also just keep the old style name.

10-31-2022 at 10:41 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : The Aboveground Style (and why it no longer deserves it's name)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com