Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Upgrading, Importing, and Rebuying Official Holds
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Kalin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 189
IP: Logged
icon Upgrading, Importing, and Rebuying Official Holds (0)  
I had a similar question as bluewalls, but my situation may be different.

A long time ago I bought a DROD bundle from GoG (1-5+RPG). And while I hate paying for things I've already paid for, I've decided that unlimited undo is worth it.

I've got questions, and the "Official Word" sticky post links a newsletter that sounds like it predates the Steam releases.

So my questions:
1. The newsletter mentions patching the non-Caravel versions to 5.x. Is that still going to happen?

2. To upgrade them myself, I have to buy Steam GatEB and the DLC for each game, right?

3. Does Steam GatEB include a Caravel Net subscription?

4. Will all my profiles import? Will they merge if they have the same name?
10-01-2022 at 05:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tuttle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1545
IP: Logged
icon Re: Upgrading, Importing, and Rebuying Official Holds (+2)  
I can't comment re #1, but for the others:

2: There are two ways to get the 5.x versions of the official holds:
a) Steam: TSS and GatEB are standalone games, the older holds are only available as DLC for GatEB
b) Caravel: If you have an older game registered in your account *and* an active CaravelNet subscription, downloading the official holds within TSS will get you a 5.0ised version of the hold with the challenges etc.

Note that the Steam version of the GatEB hold in particular differs slightly from the Caravel version -- not a lot, but there are a few minor changes to some rooms. The Steam version is the current one in terms of the high score spider.

3: I believe the free month of CaravelNet only comes with purchases direct from Caravel, not on Steam. But if you have CaravelNet, you can use the online features within the Steam version.

Purchases on Caravel should also give you Steam keys from http://forum.caravelgames.com/member.php?Action=purchases .

4: They will import from the GOG and Caravel versions into Steam, but not currently back the other way around (the Steam engine version is currently 5.1.0.6545, while the Caravel TSS is 5.1.0.6512 -- you can only import in the same or higher version).

Some notes about merging that apply regardless of Caravel/GOG/Steam:

Merging is based on an internal ID, not the profile name. If historically you've used the import function to clone a single profile between all your GOG games before you started, they'll have the same ID and merge into a single profile in TSS or the Steam versions. If you've created a new player in each game, you have five different players that won't merge.

If you have different players, you can still merge progress by using the 'Export Saves Only' function from one player and importing into another. That allows you to bring all your saves into a single player record so you can restore to wherever. However, it will not merge recorded demos or ownership of your user-created holds.
10-04-2022 at 03:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Upgrading, Importing, and Rebuying Official Holds
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com