Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Bongthro Begins : Heart of the Fortress : 2 South, 1 West
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
Rinaldo
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 50
IP: Logged
icon Bongthro Begins : Heart of the Fortress : 2 South, 1 West (0)  
This is the only room in this hold which I really can't find a way through. I can kill 4 of the 6 mothers, but once the remaining ones spawn, there's too big a swarm for me to get to the last 2, no matter how efficiently I kill them. I think there must be some fundamental scheme of approach that I'm missing.

So far, entering from the east (and of course taking the speed potion), I go SW and then straight W to as to get the 2 mothers on the middle row, then turn S, then E to get the bottom 2. After that, the spawn happens before I can get to the NE tar. I've tried other orders too, but none seems much better. Is there a trick I'm missing?
09-07-2022 at 02:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2430
icon Re: Bongthro Begins : Heart of the Fortress : 2 South, 1 West (+1)  
My demo does this room the following way:

Click here to view the secret text

So the basic trick to the room is
Click here to view the secret text

09-07-2022 at 02:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rinaldo
icon Re: Bongthro Begins : Heart of the Fortress : 2 South, 1 West (0)  
Thank you. When do I do Center West? on my way up to Northwest?

I was aiming at your basic trick (that's how one has to behave in a lot of Speed Potion situations, and not just in this hold), but found myself surrounded too soon. I'll try to do better, now that you've reassured me it's possible.
09-07-2022 at 03:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Rinaldo
icon Re: Bongthro Begins : Heart of the Fortress : 2 South, 1 West (+1)  
Never mind -- I solved it. An essential part of it turned out to be exiting the fifth (NW) tar on a row that allowed me to move diagonally when I left, so I could get away from the babies on my way to the last mother.

It's interesting that the existing demos (of which yours is #3 -- congrats!) don't all tackle it in the same order, and some do some cleanup of babies before sprinting to the last two blobs (which then leaves fewer to handle at the end). But all of them, mine included, allow only one spawn, and there's a difference of only 100 turns between worst (mine, as usual) and best -- less than most rooms.

Thank you again for taking the time to respond.
09-07-2022 at 02:55 PM
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Bongthro Begins : Heart of the Fortress : 2 South, 1 West
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com