Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : DROD steam crashing after starting screen
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Plasmarifle
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 14
IP: Logged
icon DROD steam crashing after starting screen (+2)  
Hi everyone!
Decided to visit my beloved DROD series, but unfortunately I can't start the game due to the wierd bug.

Game starts fine, Welcome to DROD message popping up, but when I'm trying to enter my name and pressing Okay, game crushing without any error messages popping up.

Probably it is somehow connected to the fact that Caravel folder in the Documents were named not in English on my PC. So when I'm pressing Import button it is looks like this:
C:\Users\poopo\OneDrive\(wierd squares instead of folder)\Caravel\drod-5_0\Homemade

I've tried to rename the folder in English but it did not help.

Can someone help me with this?

ok, I found topic with the similar issue but I have no idea what is the PR and how and where I should change something?

[Last edited by Plasmarifle at 09-01-2022 04:08 PM]
09-01-2022 at 03:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
hyperme
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1055
icon Re: DROD steam crashing after starting screen (+2)  
This is a known issue in 5.1, where non-ASCII characters in a filepath will break things. A fix is planned for 5.1.1, altough currently the release time for that version is unknown due to various factors.

It may be possible to configure a DataPath.txt file to change where DROD places saves, but I don't know if that works with the steam version.

09-01-2022 at 04:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Plasmarifle
icon Re: DROD steam crashing after starting screen (0)  
So this is known issue since 2016 and still not resolved...
Damn that is sad.
Anyway, thanks for your help!
09-01-2022 at 04:30 PM
Tuttle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1545
icon Re: DROD steam crashing after starting screen (+5)  
I just did a quick test and it looks like the Steam version respects a DataPath.txt file, so you should be able to work around it.

Start by finding the directory where DROD is installed. If you right-click on the game in Steam and select Properties, Local Files, Browse, it should open a Windows Explorer window in the right place. That directory should end in "...\steamapps\common\DROD Gunthro and the Epic Blunder" (or "...\DROD The Second Sky"). I'll write the rest of this assuming GatEB, just replace everything with the TSS version if that's what you have.

In that directory that Steam opened you to, right-click and create a new text file called DataPath.txt. You need to put one line in it, something like the following but customised for your system:
C:\Saved Games\DROD Steam Gunthro;C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DROD Gunthro and the Epic Blunder\Data;
The first path is where your user data will be saved, and it can be any directory you want (as long as it's all ASCII characters). If you have both GatEB and TSS, make sure you use a different directory for each game.

The second path needs to be where the official holds are. It will be the same directory that you're creating the DataPath.txt file in, plus "\Data" on the end.

There is a semicolon after each path.

Save the file, but before you run the game, go and create the user data folder you specified. It should be empty, but it needs to exist.

Then run the game through Steam, and hopefully things will work. You should see about 6 files get created in the user data directory as soon as the game starts, even before you put in a player name or start importing old files.

Also, if you're trying to import data from an older version of DROD, make sure you're importing from a directory with an all-ASCII name as well.

[Last edited by Tuttle at 09-02-2022 02:16 PM]
09-02-2022 at 02:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Plasmarifle
icon Re: DROD steam crashing after starting screen (+2)  
Tuttle wrote:
I just did a quick test and it looks like the Steam version respects a DataPath.txt file, so you should be able to work around it.

Start by finding the directory where DROD is installed. If you right-click on the game in Steam and select Properties, Local Files, Browse, it should open a Windows Explorer window in the right place. That directory should end in "...\steamapps\common\DROD Gunthro and the Epic Blunder" (or "...\DROD The Second Sky"). I'll write the rest of this assuming GatEB, just replace everything with the TSS version if that's what you have.

In that directory that Steam opened you to, right-click and create a new text file called DataPath.txt. You need to put one line in it, something like the following but customised for your system:
C:\Saved Games\DROD Steam Gunthro;C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DROD Gunthro and the Epic Blunder\Data;
The first path is where your user data will be saved, and it can be any directory you want (as long as it's all ASCII characters). If you have both GatEB and TSS, make sure you use a different directory for each game.

The second path needs to be where the official holds are. It will be the same directory that you're creating the DataPath.txt file in, plus "\Data" on the end.

There is a semicolon after each path.

Save the file, but before you run the game, go and create the user data folder you specified. It should be empty, but it needs to exist.

Then run the game through Steam, and hopefully things will work. You should see about 6 files get created in the user data directory as soon as the game starts, even before you put in a player name or start importing old files.

Also, if you're trying to import data from an older version of DROD, make sure you're importing from a directory with an all-ASCII name as well.

It worked!
Thanks a lot!
09-02-2022 at 04:09 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : DROD steam crashing after starting screen
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No