Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Here's how to "link" the Steam versions of GatEB and TSS ((and have ALL your holds in one bloody app))
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ooa113y
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
IP: Logged
icon Here's how to "link" the Steam versions of GatEB and TSS (+10)  
Hi, first post here, just barging in to share a trick I discovered.

The Steam releases of DROD are a bit weird. Every official hold is released as DLC for Gunthro and the Epic Blunder, with the sole exception of The Second Sky, which is a whole separate app. This was bugging me immensely, and I dug around a bit to figure out how the official holds are stored/loaded and managed to import the official TSS hold into GatEB to have everything in one place, as it should be. Apologies if this process is somehow a well-known thing, but I couldn't find such instructions anywhere.

I will reiterate that these instructions only work for the Steam versions of these games, not the standalone releases or the GOG versions. You must own both TSS and GatEB on Steam.

Note that following this guide will lead to two side effects:
1. Steam achievements for TSS will be broken (in-game Challenges will still work just fine).
2. Your install of GatEB will "think" that it's actually The Second Sky. What this means in practice is that the TSS logo/background are shown in the main menu when a hold other than the official main campaigns is being played. It's an entirely cosmetic difference.

So, here's the Few Easy Steps you need to follow:
Click here to view the secret text

For the technically inclined, here are my discoveries about the .dat file loading process:

05-04-2022 at 02:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
navithmastero
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 596
icon Re: Here's how to "link" the Steam versions of GatEB and TSS (+1)  
This is awesome, I've not seen anything about this before and it's very useful. Thanks for sharing, and welcome to the forum!

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:

05-05-2022 at 10:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ooa113y
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
icon Re: Here's how to "link" the Steam versions of GatEB and TSS (+1)  
navithmastero wrote:
This is awesome, I've not seen anything about this before and it's very useful. Thanks for sharing, and welcome to the forum!

Thanks! I'm glad I wasn't just a complete idiot and missed an obvious guide somewhere.
05-05-2022 at 12:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zebez
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 14
icon Re: Here's how to "link" the Steam versions of GatEB and TSS (+3)  
Thanks for the guide!

I still want to have both games installed so I can get the steam achievements for both games. So I made a windows batch file that creates hardlinks for all the important files so it doesn't matter if you launch GatEB or TSS. Both will share the same profile and progress and both will have access to all the same holds. You just gotta remember to launch the one you want to get the achievements with :).

This is only for windows and you might need to backup/rename your Caravel\drod-tss-5_0 profile folder if it exists.

Put this in a .bat file and change the steamLibraryPath and caravelDocuPath to the correct paths.

01-01-2024 at 09:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Here's how to "link" the Steam versions of GatEB and TSS ((and have ALL your holds in one bloody app))
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com