Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Horns do not summon if the tile under them is impassible.
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2430
IP: Logged
icon Horns do not summon if the tile under them is impassible. (+1)  
Some talk about editor oddities led into questions about the seep player role and horns.

It turns out that if a horn is on a wall, closed door, tunnel, or master wall, it always fails even if there's an open path leading to that tile. This mostly just affects seep, but the tunnel and master wall situations can happen with other roles, as can doors if you build horns under the player.

At the least I would expect squad horns with seep player roles to use pathfinding that goes through walls/closed doors and not open floor? I feel like something along these lines came up with other player roles but I don't remember what the decision was in those situations.
10-31-2021 at 06:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
hyperme
Rank Points: 1055
icon Re: Horns do not summon if the tile under them is impassible. (+1)  
Flying and swimming roles can use squad horns in 5.1.1, but wall-based roles can't. That should probably be fixed.

Not sure about the main issue here, but it does seem a bit weird, at least in the tunnel case.

10-31-2021 at 07:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623

File: horn_pathfinding_onto_arrow.PNG (122.7 KB)
Downloaded 99 times.
License: Public Domain
The tunnel case might be a consequence of a more general rule where, if the squad horn can't pathfind to the exact tile the player is standing on, even if it were otherwise normal floor, the horn fails.

E.g. this attached case where if Beethro blows a horn while standing on force arrows, the squaddie realizes that they couldn't get to Beethro's force arrow, nor the chamber he started in, and doesn't arrive via the west entrance.

10-31-2021 at 07:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
hyperme
Rank Points: 1055
Okay, I did some remembering of how things work. Horns find the nearest entrance to the player using the same algorithm for brained monsters. This means it fails if the player is on a tile that blocks movement, because it won't add a tile to the path if it can't move from that tile to the previous tile in the path.

Not sure if this is fixable, but I can have a go at it.

[Last edited by hyperme at 10-31-2021 09:30 PM]
10-31-2021 at 09:30 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Horns do not summon if the tile under them is impassible.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com