Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : The Oceanic Oligarchy : King Azb's Castle : 2 North
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
boodog
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 51
IP: Logged
icon The Oceanic Oligarchy : King Azb's Castle : 2 North (0)  
I can't do this one. I've tried various paths but can't help but be surrounded by guards within 7 or so turns. I'm guessing probably can't clear the room 1st time round, so I'm assuming I end up going down the passageway with my sword not pointed NW, N, or NE. I can't find any starting set of moves that doesn't get me killed almost immediately.

Edit: looking at the show room image, none of the guards are actually guards, they are all characters, so maybe I just need to kill azb and something happens? This doesn't help me much though as I was already trying to find a way to kill him.

Edit 2: nope, azb is invulnerable to my sword.

[Last edited by boodog at 10-10-2021 03:36 PM]
10-10-2021 at 03:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2434
icon Re: The Oceanic Oligarchy : King Azb's Castle : 2 North (+2)  
The answer is that you were supposed to get here without completely clearing out any of the Dagunda rooms of guards. (It seems that clearing out the castle entrance is fine, though.)

I actually didn't think it was possible to run into problems here, but looking over it, the script in at least one room checks for the presence of monsters, not if the room is conquered. So you're stuck having to restore, it looks like.
10-10-2021 at 04:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
boodog
Rank Points: 51
icon Re: The Oceanic Oligarchy : King Azb's Castle : 2 North (0)  
Cheers. I know the text said not to kill anybody, and I disregarded it on the room outside the palace. Was there supposed to be a better hint that I'd screwed up, (before completing azb's castle) or some way to rectify it?
10-10-2021 at 04:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2434
icon Re: The Oceanic Oligarchy : King Azb's Castle : 2 North (+1)  
Unfortunately not. It's just referencing the similar section in The City Beneath, but making progress impossible rather than just difficult.
10-10-2021 at 05:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Karipto
Rank Points: 79

File: TOO King Azbs Castle 2N.demo (3.1 KB)
Downloaded 52 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: The Oceanic Oligarchy : King Azb's Castle : 2 North (+3)  
I'll need to have a look when I get home, but I was somehow able to clear this room of guards and escape.

EDIT: Demo uploaded. It didn't seem to record my original demo (where I had somehow maneuvered to the top-left chamber, and killed most of them from there), but this way is probably simpler.

To be honest, despite the difficulty in doing the room like this, and recognizing that it was unusually hard, I didn't think too much of it due to the author having done a number of horde rooms in this and previous holds. In hindsight, it makes sense, but I thought the in-game hint was simply a way of telling the player not to bother clearing the guard hordes outside (with the conquer tokens being unreachable, something I realized after the fact :lol). I didn't realize you weren't supposed to kill any guards anywhere in the area. Oh well, glad to see that hold completion wasn't impeded because of this.

[Last edited by Karipto at 10-15-2021 01:45 AM : Uploaded demo]
10-14-2021 at 10:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : The Oceanic Oligarchy : King Azb's Castle : 2 North
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com