Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : All the DRODs (A Let's Play megaproject by surrealcanine)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
surrealcanine
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 139
IP: Logged
icon Re: All the DRODs (+2)  
Episode 21: The queen is dead, long live the queen

Oh man. This level. This level. I will admit, besides that evil eye room, the required puzzles aren't that bad. It's the secret rooms that really got me. One is a tar race with practically zero room for error, and the other is an onslaught of brained roaches, 28 or more to a round, with a challenge that has the misfortune to guide the player into a 3000-turn-long slashfest instead of its intended solution.
But it's done now!

The next episode was streamed just now, and will be posted once Twitch completes the export!

01-21-2022 at 01:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
surrealcanine
Episode 22: Mimic mayhem!

Cold weather and a difficult challenge made level 23 a bit harder than it might have been otherwise. But hey, we've gotten the Poppy Brigade's attention and we're nearly done with the hold!

The next episode will be streamed January 27.

01-21-2022 at 03:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
surrealcanine
icon Re: All the DRODs (+3)  
Episode 23: Poppycock

After a relatively painless Level 24.... oh man. The Poppy Brigade do not pull their punches on Level 25! I get stuck for a long time in 1N4E, trying different things, and eventually have to look up the magic movement sequence I used before.

But hey, the hold is done! Mostly!

Let's talk story! JtRH is where the legend of Beethro really begins. His purpose is twofold: First, show Halph that smiting is not a line of work that he should pursue; and second, find some answers to the wild speculation at the Smitemasters' Guild so everyone can shut up and get back to work.
Beethro had a mixed success with his first goal, as the Empire reached out to Halph with a job offer as an Architect, and Pit Thing eventually convinced him to part ways with Beethro and take up the offer. But you could say that Beethro did get at least one answer; namely, that the DAA has been expanding dungeons for some goal or another of the Empire, even if Beethro fails to understand what their goals actually are. But now he has new questions for which he must find the answers: What did the Pit Thing tell Halph? What is the Empire's goal? And why are his actions endangering the Empire?
With the destruction of Beethro's grill, it's clear that he doesn't really have a home to go back to. And so, the only place to go is down...

The next stream will cover the Dreamplane, and be streamed February 3.

01-28-2022 at 09:30 PM
surrealcanine
Episode 24: Dreams of distant destinations

In this episode, we tackle the Dreamplane! There's so much to see here, and so little explained! It's a fascinating look at some of the things that went on behind the scenes.

Perfection begins Thursday, February 10.

02-08-2022 at 02:39 AM
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
icon Re: All the DRODs (0)  
And I took the 1:07:10 mark personally.

[Last edited by averagemoe at 02-12-2022 01:31 AM]
02-11-2022 at 05:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
surrealcanine
Well, your avatar is wearing clothes!

Episode 25: Perfection is not enough

In this episode, we begin larrymurk's 2005 SmS, Perfection! This hold won Hold of the Year in the 2005 Deadlies, and we start to see the linchpin style of puzzle actually take root in the series here.

I'm sure all you veteran drodders know what I'm talking about, but for the newbies among us, a linchpin puzzle is a type of puzzle where:
- a challenge is presented to the player, with seemingly impossible constraints
- the puzzle hinges on a particular insight. As an example, see the tar efficiency puzzle on the third floor!
- Once you know the trick, the execution is simple.

Such puzzles are an excellent teaching tool for certain interactions, and were put to use well in such games as Portal, Supraland, and the latter official DROD holds. Entry Point in particular is full of them!

Anyway, the next stream will be February 17.

02-14-2022 at 01:40 PM
surrealcanine
Episode 26: Perfection is for squares

Some mighty brutal puzzles on this stream! I did floors 4 and 5 of Perfection, and had my work cut out for me when it came to tarstuff. Mud and tar mothers can be mean when the architect wants them to be.

The next stream will be February 24.

02-20-2022 at 01:20 AM
surrealcanine
Episode 27: Perfection is closer than you think

More tarstuff shenanigans await, here on floors 6 and 7. That is some brutal architecture, Larry!

The next stream will take place on March 3.

03-01-2022 at 09:40 PM
averagemoe
Well, the latest episode has been out for three days, and the link isn't here yet. I hope this doesn't mean I have to start doing everything around here.

03-08-2022 at 01:49 AM
surrealcanine
Uh, what he said! Thanks Moe. And thank you, larrymurk, for making such a brilliant, though demanding, hold!

This Thursday, I'll be taking a break from DROD proper in order to play skell's project, SSSSSS. I'm hoping it'll be a nice change of pace in between Perfection and Beethro's Teacher. See you guys then!

03-08-2022 at 09:33 PM
surrealcanine
Episode 29: It takes two to tango

In this stream, I took a break from DROD proper to play some SSSSSS with iannothslurgh! Co-op puzzles are hard! Especially without a proper pointing mechanism. I do hear skell made some updates today though. Perhaps when we pick this up again on March 17 the experience will be a little better!

03-11-2022 at 11:18 PM
surrealcanine
Episode 30: Double your players, double your pain

Last week's stream was yet another duo endeavor! Annoth and I cleared a few more levels in SSSSSS, though I'm not entirely certain how much of it we have left. The next stream will be March 24, assuming he's available again.
Oh, and I appreciate the quality-of-life improvements skell added! Puzzling is a lot less painful now.

03-20-2022 at 10:18 PM
surrealcanine
Episode 31: Two fast, two furious

We did it! We beat every room in SSSSSS!
Thank you, skell, for making such a neat game, and I also thank all of the architects who contributed rooms!
Annoth and I intend to continue the co-op shenanigans this Friday in Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, if he's available, but for those of you who just want to watch me play some DROD, Beethro's Teacher starts April 7.

04-05-2022 at 11:28 PM
surrealcanine
Episode 32 - Get ready to be schooled

The first level of Beethro's Teacher is just a taste of the craziness of this hold. Looking forward to the rest? Join us on April 14 for the second level!

Thank you, everyone who tuned in and offered hints. It's thanks to you that the series can continue at the pace it's at!

04-13-2022 at 04:33 AM
surrealcanine
Episode 33: The school of hard knocks

The second level of Beethro's Teacher! Lots of wubbas. Wub wub wub wub.

I'm tired and not feeling thinky tonight so I'd like to stream something else. All the DRODs will probably return next week.

EDIT: Broken bbcode tag. Also wow, it affected my sig too.

[Last edited by surrealcanine at 04-28-2022 11:04 PM]
04-28-2022 at 11:03 PM
surrealcanine
Episode 34: Let this be a lesson in trickery

Some real stumpers on floor 3 of Beethro's Teacher! And a wraithwing horde that feels like a magic sequence room. Oh well, they can't all be winners.

Now that I'm no longer working from home every day, I may be too tired to play DROD on some nights. But if all goes well, the next episode will stream on May 12.

05-06-2022 at 05:04 AM
JamesBond007
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 43
Episode 25 is not present on your playlist. Could you fix this?
05-29-2022 at 03:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
surrealcanine
It's been fixed. Also, here are the next few episode links!

Episode 35: Spare me your lectures

The snake floor!

Episode 36: The tarstuff honor roll

Oof. You guys probably know by now that I'm not a big fan of tarstuff mothers, and floor 5 of BT is nothing but! And these are the hardest puzzles yet.

Episode 37: A nightmare about a missed assignment

Floor 5 continues, and still isn't over! But at least I have some company.

The next episode will be streamed June 9.

06-03-2022 at 04:18 PM
Shaohao
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
I just spent my all free time in the span of three days watching your Let's Plays and it was SO WORTH IT! Please keep'em coming! I LOVE your work!

06-07-2022 at 02:31 PM
surrealcanine
Frustration abounds in these next few videos, but... progress!

Episode 38: The seventh week of detention

Finally clearing the 5th floor!

Episode 39: Failing marks

Starting the 6th floor, and ramming face-first into the worst golem packing room ever.

Episode 40: Graduation

Completing the 6th floor and Denfry's Stand. We're done! We're finally done with Beethro's Teacher!

The next hold on the list is Master Locks Expert, and I should be able to stream at the usual time on July 14! Hope to see you all there as I play a much easier hold.

07-08-2022 at 04:44 PM
surrealcanine
Episode 41: Like a peanut butter jar at a squirrel convention
Part 1

Part 2

Episode 42: I've cracked the code

These three videos cover the entirety of Master Locks Expert. While a welcome change of pace from Perfection and BT, the puzzles are still puzzling and the secret room threw me off long enough that I wasn't able to solve the whole hold in one stream.

Episode 42 also features some bonus holds: Bad Evil Restaurant, Island of Adventure, and 10 easy puzzles in a toilet.

The next hold, The City Beneath, is set to start this Thursday!

08-01-2022 at 11:50 PM
averagemoe
Personally, I'd have filled the extra time with a playthrough of normal Master Locks, just for reference.

But if even that runs too short, I suppose Bad Evil Restaurant is enough of a meme for a backup plan.

08-02-2022 at 05:20 AM
surrealcanine
Whoops, I forgot to post videos again!
Episode 43: The pressure is on

Episode 44: Turning up the heat

These two videos cover everything up to Below the Library. And already I've realized I misremembered some things while writing Trails of Creation!

Tonight's stream will be at the usual time, and I hope to make it up to Dugandy. But we'll see.

08-18-2022 at 04:28 PM
Kalin
Rank Points: 185
Thank you so much for these videos. Under the Library second secret room was the point where I gave up on TCB.
08-20-2022 at 07:11 PM
averagemoe
At this point, we're so far behind, I'm just going to link to the Youtube Playlist and let that cover everything both both past and future.

This is the thread now.

10-24-2022 at 10:46 PM
surrealcanine
Yeah, I keep forgetting to come through and update the thread. Rest assured, the project is still ongoing! Thank you all for your support.

01-06-2023 at 12:05 AM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : All the DRODs (A Let's Play megaproject by surrealcanine)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com