Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Brained roach queens ignore timeclones even when they have no brain path to Beethro.
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2434
IP: Logged

File: Brain Weirdness.hold (894 bytes)
Downloaded 45 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Brained roach queens ignore timeclones even when they have no brain path to Beethro. (+3)  
Attached hold demonstrates an oddity. Send a timeclone into the upper part. Drop the trapdoor and wait a couple of turns, then end recording.

During replay, if you leave the brain alone, the roach and wubba will head for the timeclone, and the wraithwing will retreat from the timeclone if it's close enough. But the queen will stay in place when the timeclone steps north of her.

As far as I can tell, even though she has no brained path to Beethro, the queen is ignoring the timeclone. Kill the brain, and the queen retreats. This seems like a bug, especially since the wraithwing responds to the projection.
07-16-2021 at 07:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
icon Re: Brained roach queens ignore timeclones even when they have no brain path to Beethro. (+1)  
Decided to check the potential impact of changing this. Room search turned up only five rooms with brains, time tokens, and roach queens. I was surprised it was so small.

Like Grains In An Hourglass: We Fall Through Time 4S1W and Pass the Hold Around: Division of Labor 1N are horde rooms where all the roach queens are trapped in place, so changing this would have no impact on them.

Putting the Pieces Together: Assembly Hall 1S is a complex room that happens to have a roach queen, brain, and time token in it. However, the way it's set up, the roach queen is dealt with early, can only travel down a narrow passage, and Beethro and the time clone will both always be east of her so she always goes west.

Xindaris' First Hold: Fusion 1S and Xindaris' First Hold: Temporal Symmetry Entrance are more complicated horde rooms, but as it turns out my demos for both rooms ignore the time token until the queens are dead. (Except an early token in the Temporal Symmetry room, but in that case the queens have nowhere to move until that timeclone's job is done.) This might break some demos but would not render the rooms unsolvable.

This search wouldn't pick up rooms that use scripting to build time tokens, but I don't remember anything besides TSS doing that and there are no roach queens or brains at all on the level where it does.
07-16-2021 at 08:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1531
icon Re: Brained roach queens ignore timeclones even when they have no brain path to Beethro. (+1)  
It's worth mentioning that the room search's results haven't always been reliable. I've searched for element combinations that I knew existed in some published holds and gotten 0 results, or at least results that missed those holds, before.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

07-16-2021 at 11:24 PM
Dragon Fogel
icon Re: Brained roach queens ignore timeclones even when they have no brain path to Beethro. (0)  
I used to run into that, where I'd remember a specific room and room search wouldn't turn it up, but it hasn't happened to me in at least a couple of years now. So I had a vague sense that its dataset had been improved behind the scenes. Might have just been pure chance with what I was checking for, though.
07-16-2021 at 11:38 PM
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3118
icon Re: Brained roach queens ignore timeclones even when they have no brain path to Beethro. (+3)  
This behaviour is part of a larger quirk of Roach Queens, which has been demonstrated in ABM:1N2E. Namely, if *any* brain can detect Beethro, then Roach Queens will ignore Decoys and Stalwarts even in situations where the queen is unbrained. This goes for Time Clones as well. It will simply focus only on Beethro's current position, no matter what other distractions there are.

So the main three choices here are of course:

#1. Leave it alone -- the exception that Roach Queens are already using is simple enough: "if the brain detects Beethro, Roach Queens only care about Beethro".
#2. Change it only for Time Clones -- this would be an exception within an exception, and there are already cases when Time Clones would be ignored by other monsters if a brained path exists leading to Beethro. (In this case, there is no brained path, but the Queen is clearly being told where Beethro is.)
#3. Consider changing it for Stalwarts and/or Decoys as well, since it's a fairly unintuitive quirk overall. However, this would be a far more intrusive change and could break far more rooms.

Personally, I don't like #2, since I don't feel Time Clones alone to be enough to override the base premise of "brains are telling the Queen exactly where Beethro is", and I don't see Clones to be a higher priority unbrained target than Stalwarts or Decoys such that the Queen makes an exception to its current logic.

I wouldn't mind the logic changing for #3. I'd probably think that Stalwarts at least should be considered, even if Decoys continue to be ignored. However, this does affect more rooms, so that would also need some investigation.

For #1, the underlying rule is simple enough that I'm also okay with leaving it as is. Brains clearly care more about Beethro than any other entity in the room, and the Queen is following that as it always has as a historical exception.
07-18-2021 at 04:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
navithmastero
Rank Points: 596
TFMurphy wrote:
This behaviour is part of a larger quirk of Roach Queens, which has been demonstrated in ABM:1N2E. Namely, if *any* brain can detect Beethro, then Roach Queens will ignore Decoys and Stalwarts even in situations where the queen is unbrained. This goes for Time Clones as well. It will simply focus only on Beethro's current position, no matter what other distractions there are.

So the main three choices here are of course:

#1. Leave it alone -- the exception that Roach Queens are already using is simple enough: "if the brain detects Beethro, Roach Queens only care about Beethro".
#2. Change it only for Time Clones -- this would be an exception within an exception, and there are already cases when Time Clones would be ignored by other monsters if a brained path exists leading to Beethro. (In this case, there is no brained path, but the Queen is clearly being told where Beethro is.)
#3. Consider changing it for Stalwarts and/or Decoys as well, since it's a fairly unintuitive quirk overall. However, this would be a far more intrusive change and could break far more rooms.

Personally, I don't like #2, since I don't feel Time Clones alone to be enough to override the base premise of "brains are telling the Queen exactly where Beethro is", and I don't see Clones to be a higher priority unbrained target than Stalwarts or Decoys such that the Queen makes an exception to its current logic.

I wouldn't mind the logic changing for #3. I'd probably think that Stalwarts at least should be considered, even if Decoys continue to be ignored. However, this does affect more rooms, so that would also need some investigation.

For #1, the underlying rule is simple enough that I'm also okay with leaving it as is. Brains clearly care more about Beethro than any other entity in the room, and the Queen is following that as it always has as a historical exception.

I swear, TFMurphy knows *everything*.

In my opinion though this feels like something that should just be kept as is.

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:

[Last edited by navithmastero at 07-18-2021 08:55 PM]
07-18-2021 at 04:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Did a quick glance at stalwart/soldier rooms (including ones with horns), but I'm not up for putting together a detailed report right now.

The short version is that most rooms are fine; many either immobilize the queens or don't let you break the brain pathmap. The main exceptions, however, are very chaotic horde rooms. None of them looks impossible to solve under the proposed change, but they would definitely need to be tested.

I haven't looked at decoys yet, mostly because there are significantly more brain/queen/decoy rooms.
07-18-2021 at 06:57 PM
Dragon Fogel
icon Re: Brained roach queens ignore timeclones even when they have no brain path to Beethro. (+3)  
Okay, now I'm ready to get into detail on stalwarts and soldiers.

Here is a list of rooms where the combination appears but no roach queens can move:

Other rooms that should still be solvable:

Finally, these rooms are harder to analyze at a glance. They're probably solvable but would need a test run with the new behavior.

So, the plus side is only a few rooms would likely be affected. The downside is that those rooms are very chaotic.

As for decoys, I checked other monsters that ignore decoys when they have a brain pathmap. Goblins and snakes both go for a decoy if they're unbrained. So my inclination is that queens should too, but it's definitely worth checking the impact so I'll get on that soon.

That's going to be a lot of rooms to look through. On the plus side, most of them won't involve stalwarts adding to the chaos.
07-18-2021 at 09:58 PM
Dragon Fogel
I'll write up a full list later (probably in a couple of days), but I've looked over all the rooms with decoys or decoy potions in them.

Most of them look fine at a glance, but I may catch some nuances when I go through a little more thoroughly. I've only found two definite problems, however:

I don't know how many demos would break, but outright unsolvability would be pretty rare and easy to fix. More details after I work up the energy for a full report.
07-19-2021 at 02:11 AM
Dragon Fogel
All right, time to get my report on the rest of the decoy rooms together.

For clarity, here is the proposed change as it relates to decoys:
If there is a brain in the room, queens will ignore decoys if they have a pathmap to the player. If there is no pathmap, they will react to decoys within range as they would if there were no brain in the room.

Now, I didn't really know how to categorize one room, so I'll just note it here. It's already been mentioned in the post on stalwarts, though, so this is just a minor follow-up.

Moving on, here are the easiest cases to deal with. In these rooms, all the queens can't move at all, so there's no way for a change to affect demos. In a lot of these, they're stuck on force arrows so it will be hard to check from the previews alone - feel free to double-check my work in case I've overlooked something.

Another simple category is one where there are no decoy potions - only preplaced decoys. And in particular, in these rooms there's no way for the queens to even get near them, so the change would have no impact.

The next category is a little bit more complicated, but not that much. In these rooms, you can't break the brain pathmap to the queens, so they will always act on Beethro's position rather than the decoy's. Some of these will take a little explaining, though.

Next we have rooms that wouldn't be impacted by the change for reasons other than the above. This either means the interaction is entirely impossible, or cannot happen on a winning run.

Up next: rooms where this could be a factor and demos might break, but they're unlikely to because they involve complicating the rooms in ways few people would bother with. I could separate this into "unlikely" and "extremely unlikely" if I wanted to, but overall the impact is likely to be small. Even the more likely of these involve doing things you have no particular reason to do. In fact, for all of these rooms I already had a demo where the behavior would never come into play.

And before we get into the actual problem cases, here are rooms that are more complicated to analyze for one reason or another. Thankfully there aren't many of them.

All I feel confident in saying is that these rooms could definitely be solved under the hypothetical new rule.

Finally, there are three rooms in Beethro's Bad Dream that would have a room break introduced. They would remain solvable as intended.

Basic summary: three rooms get unintended solutions that are easy to fix, one room breaks but can be fixed with a simple change, one room I'm not sure of the solvability on if the change is made but a simple alteration would ensure it works. Even most of the rooms where demos could break are unlikely to have it happen.

So the overall impact is mild enough that I'd say I'm in favor of changing this in all cases (timeclones, stalwarts/soldiers, and decoys), but obviously anyone else is free to weigh in. Also, I stayed up way too late writing that all up and I am well aware of this.

[Last edited by Dragon Fogel at 07-21-2021 06:33 PM]
07-20-2021 at 11:06 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Brained roach queens ignore timeclones even when they have no brain path to Beethro.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com