Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Surfacing for a moment...
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
jbluestein
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1670
IP: Logged
icon Surfacing for a moment... (+8)  
I haven't played DROD in...years. But I feel like I hit something of a milestone last week when my fifteen-year-old downloaded and started playing Journey to Rooted Hold.

I'm slightly afraid to redownload and discover how much I've forgotten, but I used to be fairly good at it...

If anyone out there still remembers me, then hi!

06-28-2021 at 04:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
icon Re: Surfacing for a moment... (+3)  
Hi jbluestein! It has been a bit - though I will admit that I didn't process that you'd been gone when I saw this post. Glad you're back!
06-28-2021 at 07:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
icon Re: Surfacing for a moment... (+1)  
Hi someone else!

Looking back, it looks like I was last active here back in 2010, managing a handful of posts in 2013 and then silence.

It's been an eventful few years. But maybe I'll try to stick around for a while...

Josh

06-29-2021 at 02:12 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
We remember, and love, you:)
06-29-2021 at 05:17 PM
jbluestein
icon Re: Surfacing for a moment... (0)  
Larry! What a joy it is to reconnect with some of my favorite people!

06-30-2021 at 02:58 PM
Camwoodstock
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 115
jbluestein wrote:
I haven't played DROD in...years. But I feel like I hit something of a milestone last week when my fifteen-year-old downloaded and started playing Journey to Rooted Hold.

I'm slightly afraid to redownload and discover how much I've forgotten, but I used to be fairly good at it...

If anyone out there still remembers me, then hi!

I dunno when it was you left, but there's no better time to play DROD than "whenever you can"! Unless you're like me and waiting on the Treacle Stew SMS, or somethin'. At any rate, it isn't going anywhere, and hey, if you won't join in with the new stuff, your 15 year old probably would ;P

Her/him | & | Steam | Backloggery
06-30-2021 at 09:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Surfacing for a moment... (+6)  
It's great to see you again here!

Seeing kids just pick up and play DROD has always felt a bit surreal to me.

Hoping you're loving TSS! For sure, there is a lot there to challenge your brain (probably even more than you'd ever expect is actually packed in there!), and I was honored to work with several of the best hold architects around in developing it. Hope the experience is a uniquely special one for you after all this time!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-10-2021 at 05:08 AM
jbluestein
mrimer wrote:
Hoping you're loving TSS! For sure, there is a lot there to challenge your brain (probably even more than you'd ever expect is actually packed in there!), and I was honored to work with several of the best hold architects around in developing it. Hope the experience is a uniquely special one for you after all this time!

There is so much in TSS -- I can't even imagine all the effort that went into it. First to imagine these new elements, and then designing some of these puzzles! My hat is off to all involved!

I'm currently working my way through Lemming Beach, which ought to tell you all you need to know about my state of mind. I think I have one room left...

07-12-2021 at 01:58 PM
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
Lemming Beach is no joke, but relatively speaking it's almost a bit of a breather after Experiment of Ages. If I remember correctly you're also very close to the optional level Arcane Laboratory, which is one of my favorites in the entire hold.

07-12-2021 at 07:47 PM
jbluestein
Pinnacle wrote:
Lemming Beach is no joke, but relatively speaking it's almost a bit of a breather after Experiment of Ages. If I remember correctly you're also very close to the optional level Arcane Laboratory, which is one of my favorites in the entire hold.

Arcane Laboratory may have an opportunity to be my favorite in hindsight, but...wow, some brutal rooms there.

And yes, Lemming Beach is a lot more relaxing than some of the previous levels...

07-12-2021 at 07:52 PM
Illusionist
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 165
icon Re: Surfacing for a moment... (+2)  
jbluestein wrote:
Pinnacle wrote:

Arcane Laboratory may have an opportunity to be my favorite in hindsight, but...wow, some brutal rooms there.

And yes, Lemming Beach is a lot more relaxing than some of the previous levels...

I'm a new guy, but I've beaten TSS last year. I was beating all of the other games for the first time as well, and I've marathoned KDD like 4 times, with my last run being 3 days / 15 hours together max. TSS is epic. You are currently somewhere at 33% of the game. It's really really really huge, you-have-no-idea-how-huge huge. Few things you should know while playing TSS - the red herrings here can be really nasty, and don't be afraid of using unlimited undo. And there's no shame in checking hints and solution thread.

Also, not many tar levels which plagued the previous games.

Many of the rooms try their best to obscure the lynchpin, and succeed at that really good. It can be frustrating at times, but it's really worth it. And at some point you'll get the gist of the game and won't need much help anyway. For me it was during the Constructs Warehouse levels where I just were clearing them at really fast pace without any help (and they also are MY favorite levels). Or the second Fluffs level

[Last edited by Illusionist at 07-21-2021 07:53 AM]
07-18-2021 at 03:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Surfacing for a moment...
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com