Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Multiple DROD players poll. (How do multiple people play DROD in your household?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
How do multiple people play DROD in your household?
They don't. It's just me playing DROD!
Everybody has their own computer/installation.
Some people play on same computer and use different profiles.
Some other situation. (Please explain in reply.)
Note: Viewing results forfeits your right to vote.
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Multiple DROD players poll. (0)  
Hi!

I am designing my player profile functionality for The Godkiller game. I expect there are many similarities in how people will play GK compared to DROD. So I'm asking a question about DROD to influence my design on a different game.

If you take some time to vote in the poll, that's great! Please answer for *your* situation, as opposed to what you would like to see in a game or what you think is important to other players. But there is plenty of room for discussion in replies, and I'm interested in opinions.

Also, my memory is that DROD licensing supports as many players as you want on one installation. So I'd not be afraid of getting "busted".

-Erik

01-18-2021 at 08:27 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1531
icon Re: Multiple DROD players poll. (+1)  
I need to add a caveat to my "it's just me" vote, although I don't know whether or not it will apply to Godkiller. For certain collaborative architecture projects, because of the way hold permissions work, it has been useful to set up a separate player profile that everyone shares so they can all work on the same hold with minimal hassle. Of course, this doesn't matter if Godkiller doesn't and never will have that kind of "level editor", or if the level editor's way of handling authorship records and editing permissions are less "obsessive" than DROD.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 01-18-2021 10:37 PM]
01-18-2021 at 10:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: Multiple DROD players poll. (0)  
Xindaris wrote:
For certain collaborative architecture projects, because of the way hold permissions work, it has been useful to set up a separate player profile that everyone shares so they can all work on the same hold with minimal hassle.
Yeah, that is a good use case to think about. For GK, any level editing features would come after the first release. And when I get to the design of that, I'd expect the "Settings" and meta screens to change in ways I can't confidently envision now.

The poll above is so far justifying a decision to *NOT* include player profiles, in at least the initial release.

I'm hoping to instead piggyback off the logged-on user in the O/S, and use it to select an invisible "profile" tied to that user. With this approach, when people want to use different settings and saved games on a single computer, they'd just use the O/S features to change accounts.

It makes for a simpler UI for the user and less coding on my part.

-Erik

01-18-2021 at 11:43 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
icon Re: Multiple DROD players poll. (+1)  
It's pretty much simultaneous here. By which I mean I play and then my cat settles on the keyboard and picks a command for Beethro to repeat for the next couple minutes.

01-19-2021 at 12:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
icon Re: Multiple DROD players poll. (+2)  
I think my situation is atypical but my daughter and I play on the same computer under different profiles. I mostly set her up with her own profile because she insists on having a control scheme that's different from mine (who wants to use boring old dad's control setup.) She uses "a" and "s" for CW and CCW turns just to be different so I just made her her own profile so that I wouldn't have to adjust my own playing to that setup. It's been useful for other stuff too though, like for having a joint profile with an architecture hold that we both make rooms for each other in.

01-19-2021 at 01:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1531
I didn't think of this before, but the "player profile" system does have one other use for the way I play DROD. Basically, I have two different computers (a desktop and a laptop), and importing/exporting the player file is an easy way to keep the two synced if I want. Of course, this sort of thing really isn't a problem with most of my games since if it's not self-syncing on steam I can generally hunt down the save files and just copy them over through dropbox or something. I only mention it since I dunno whether this would be affected by tying saves to the user profile in the OS or not.

Here are some links to Things!

[Last edited by Xindaris at 01-19-2021 02:12 AM]
01-19-2021 at 02:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
My nearly 5yo daughter has played through the tutorial a couple of times. I made a profile for her so she could try another hold without progress problems. Also numpad control is easier for her than laptop controls, which I use for some reason.

I also have an AE profile that I imported in.
01-19-2021 at 07:42 AM
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
I only use the profile system in DROD when testing stuff for new releases or when tinkering around in the code. Nothing that a regular player would usually do, I guess.

I also do something that's similar to Xindaris' approach; I basically pointed my DataPath.txt to a folder that's synced to my Google Drive, which means I can pick up and play DROD on any system and have all my progress without requiring manual syncing. It also has the added benefit of not losing everything in the case my computer decides to quit on me.
01-19-2021 at 10:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
navithmastero
Rank Points: 596
slimm tom wrote:
I also do something that's similar to Xindaris' approach; I basically pointed my DataPath.txt to a folder that's synced to my Google Drive, which means I can pick up and play DROD on any system and have all my progress without requiring manual syncing. It also has the added benefit of not losing everything in the case my computer decides to quit on me.

This is one of the things I really like about the Steam version. If for whatever reason I'm on my laptop rather than my desktop I can continue with whatever bit of DROD I was doing, whether it be architecture or smitemastery and then close it and reopen it on my desktop with all my progress transported over instantly.

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:

01-19-2021 at 01:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: Multiple DROD players poll. (+8)  
You people are making me question my corner-cutting. Argh!

The thought of leaving people's daughters out in the cold...

"Daddy, can I play your game too?"

"No, honey, the mean developer didn't make it multi-profile."

(Little girl crying)

-Erik

01-19-2021 at 04:46 PM
Keiya
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 73
icon Re: Multiple DROD players poll. (0)  
Honestly, I'd probably have profile functionality hidden in a command line option. Something like `-playerdata <path to player file>`, where it'll create it if that file doesn't exist. People can use it with shortcuts in their OS for edge cases, and it's easy to create new users for testing purposes. If it's not specified, just default to `$XDG_DATA_HOME/godkiller/player.save`, `%appdata%\Godkiller\player.save`, or wherever the heck you're supposed to put things on OS X this week (I gave up making sense of Apple's changing guidelines years ago since I don't have a Mac anymore anyway) as platform appropriate.

Not as slick and integrated as DROD's player profiles, but it's an effective way to implement a useful niche feature.

Official Hold Progress:

[Last edited by Keiya at 03-11-2021 11:04 AM]
03-11-2021 at 11:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Multiple DROD players poll. (How do multiple people play DROD in your household?) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com