Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Hold Import Hangs
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1531
IP: Logged
icon Hold Import Hangs (+1)  
In the latest beta (from this post), if I already have a hold installed and I try to either import or download a different version (older or newer), the import progress hangs at the "importing data" stage with a tiny sliver of the bar filled, so that I must force-close the program. Importing/downloading new holds has no such problem, so deleting the hold is a workaround, but obviously not an ideal one.

This issue was also present in the version from this post; I downloaded the next version after mainly to check whether it had been fixed by that one.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 12-21-2020 05:11 AM]
12-21-2020 at 04:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1531
icon Re: Hold Import Hangs (+1)  
I don't know whether this is important, but it sometimes fills up an entire yellow bar while saying "importing data", then starts up a new bar and hangs with only a sliver of that. And in this case, despite hanging, it looks like the import was actually successful? That is, after force-closing the program and reopening it, I noticed that it's now the newer version that I was trying to import.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 12-22-2020 05:46 AM]
12-22-2020 at 05:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
RabidChild
Rank Points: 720
I had a similar issue when updating a hold in 5.1.1.371, but in my case, DROD crashed altogether. After restarting the game, it appeared that the hold had imported successfully, but I had lost all my progress. The hold was Beethro's Teacher, if it makes a difference.

I was able to export my player file from JtRH and successfully imported it into 5.1.1 to recover my progress, though DROD crashed again when trying to import a more recent player file.
12-22-2020 at 09:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
RabidChild
Rank Points: 720
Just adding a bit more information. I don't think this is a problem with the hold update process per se, but with importing progress after the update. The process completed successfully in 5.1.0.6512, but fails in 5.1.1.371. I've tried importing player files from older versions and also importing progress via cloud sync, but DROD crashes every time. I suppose that could be caused by something other than Beethro's Teacher, though. My 2.x player file imports without a problem.
01-17-2021 at 09:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
hyperme
Rank Points: 1062
icon Re: Hold Import Hangs (+2)  
Giving this a bump up since Xindaris mentioned it was still a problem.

I did a tiny bit of detective work, and I'm guessing that this issue is related to changes made for this other issue, where large player profiles couldn't be exported or imported. The build pointed to as where the problem starts post-dates the PRs related to that topic, so there might be a connection.

If the problems only started with the build from the 21st of November, that narrows things down.

07-27-2021 at 10:59 AM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Hold Import Hangs (+2)  
Agreed we should resolve this before the 5.1.1 release if possible. My intuition says the lingering 32-bit memory issue during the data export/import process is in play here. This final issue is ostensibly fixed in 5.2; it requires an update to the exported file format, and we don't want to make that change in 5.1.1 because you can't downgrade your data files from it if you want to revert to a previous 5.1.x build version.

Things we can try:
(a) provide a new 5.2 alpha build binary for you to try on a copy of your data files. You can confirm the import process works there, which would demonstrate we do have this issue resolved in the 5.2 codebase.
(b) you can provide (PM/email) a private link to a copy of your data files, with steps to reproduce, for hyperme or myself to reproduce the issue. Then we could see if there's another way to avoid the bad experience.

Believing this is the same memory issue as before, I'm not optimistic that we can devise an acceptable pre-5.2 fix. I recommend we try (a) so we can get 5.1.1 out the door asap, then step forward to developing a 5.2 beta build that works for you, which you can continue using going forward from that point (and not look back).

Your thoughts?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 07-27-2021 02:48 PM]
07-27-2021 at 02:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Hold Import Hangs
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com