Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Rooms broken by 5.1.1
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Doom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3226
IP: Logged

File: Dumb Hold 2N11W.zip (8 KB)
Downloaded 26 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Rooms broken by 5.1.1 (+2)  
skell wrote:
Guards used to refuse to body kill with dagger but now they do and I can't find relevant thre and I am not sure this can be completed in 5.1.1.
- Don't Play This Dumb Hold (Hold ID: 719) -> Some Dumb Rooms -> 2 North, 11 West -> Impossible, contacted the author.
This room is solvable.

Didn't have saves far enough in the real version, so here's the same room copied into a new hold.

[Last edited by Doom at 11-15-2020 07:59 PM]
11-15-2020 at 07:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bbb
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 215
icon Re: Rooms broken by 5.1.1 (0)  
I'll try compiling the new version. If I don't have too much trouble doing that, I'll try some of the rooms.
11-15-2020 at 09:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Rooms broken by 5.1.1 (+1)  
bbb wrote:
I'll try compiling the new version. If I don't have too much trouble doing that, I'll try some of the rooms.

At this point all of the rooms are confirmed to be solvable now. And what do you mean by compile? Are you running Linux?

11-15-2020 at 09:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
icon Re: Rooms broken by 5.1.1 (+5)  
Status update:

1. Lavender Levels was fixed and is awaiting some HA feedback. All demos now work again.
2. Zealot's Trials was provided by mxvladi and is awaiting some HA feedback. All demos will be broken for that one room.
3. All the rooms' status is now known. All authors contacted, so it's a waiting game now :).

11-15-2020 at 09:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2430

File: Twelve Days room.hold (2.8 KB)
Downloaded 27 times.
Quick modification of the Twelve Days of Christmas room. The doors are open for two turns instead of one.

I believe this will make all existing demos continue to work, but it's easier for Nuntar to check that since he can edit the hold itself and therefore keep access to all the demos. Or maybe administrative tools can be used to do the same thing.
11-15-2020 at 09:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Dragon Fogel wrote:
Or maybe administrative tools can be used to do the same thing.

They can and I'll do it tomorrow.

11-15-2020 at 10:01 PM
bbb
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 215
skell wrote:
bbb wrote:
I'll try compiling the new version.

And what do you mean by compile? Are you running Linux?

Yes.

I think I'll go to the development thread to report issues.
11-16-2020 at 05:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
icon Re: Rooms broken by 5.1.1 (+3)  
So with a new build, a new check needs to be run. I figured that I might as well get a headstart on checking demos for the still-solvable rooms in this thread, since they'll probably get picked up again.

For the moment I'm just looking at my own demos. This covers most of the rooms already.

Reconfirmed in 5.1.1.408x:
Unfortunate Architect Compilation - Restricted Resources - 1N1E
Beethro and the Secret Society - The Headquarters - 1E
The Consequence - Primary the First - 2N
Invisibility Compilation - Peek-A-Boo - 1N2W
Xindaris' First Hold - Invisible Brains - 1N
Xindaris' First Hold - Invisible Brains - 2N1E
Quick Lunch Break Hold #3 - A Dozen Rooms (Minus Two) - 2N
Cheap Trick contest compilation - Chicanery - 1E
Finding the First Truth - Decoy Level - 2S1W
Unfinished Work - Ocean - 2N
Christmas Tower - First Level - 1S1E
Empire's power: The slayer vats - The Lab - Entrance
Flight of the Fegundo - Jungle Heat - 3N
Elemental Showcase 5.0 - Gears Within Gears - 1N1E
Blockerture Science Laboratories - Exit Garden - 1S1E
Rival Startup - Brewing Vats - 1S1W
Combined hazards - Gentryii & pressure plates - 1N1W
Combined hazards - The end is the beginning is the end - 1S
Temporal Adventure - Palace Beyond Time - 2E
Don't Play This Dumb Hold - Some Dumb Rooms - 2N11W

09-09-2021 at 07:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Have now solved the following rooms in 5.1.1.408x:

Smallsome Swicks - Shallow Down - 1S1W
Xindaris' First Hold - Invisible Brains - 2E
Xindaris' First Hold - Invisible Brains - 2N1E
Blockerture Science Laboratories - Floating Antechamber - 2N

I believe I have now double-checked all of the rooms except for the ones that had changes planned.
09-09-2021 at 09:57 PM
hyperme
Rank Points: 1055
icon Re: Rooms broken by 5.1.1 (+6)  
A new test spider run has been performed, checking the top demo of evey room. Ten new failures were found.

Here is the list of rooms and reasons they failed:
Click here to view the secret text

As before, I would like some help. For each of the rooms marked Needs checking, a valid demo for that room produced in the latest 5.1.1 build is needed to show the room is still completable.

[Last edited by hyperme at 12-27-2021 03:08 PM]
12-26-2021 at 02:19 PM
Dragon Fogel

File: G Grisly Gentryii Gimmicks 1N1E Victory.demo (29.7 KB)
Downloaded 28 times.
Gentryiification: Working on this, but good news is it looks possible. The east gentryii can be trapped before opening a brain path, and my demo still traps the west one before breaking.

Edit: Done! Demo attached.

[Last edited by Dragon Fogel at 12-26-2021 04:06 PM]
12-26-2021 at 03:58 PM
Dragon Fogel

File: Custom Element Contest Demos.zip (118.4 KB)
Downloaded 23 times.
icon Re: Rooms broken by 5.1.1 (+4)  
Turns out I already had non-breaking demos for all the Custom Element Contest rooms.

I have a breaking demo in Horticulturalist's Headache 1S3E and I'm confused about why exactly it broke so I'll be looking over that. But it's trivially solvable from the end of the break, I just have to wait longer before leaving.

Also, just to make sure it doesn't get overlooked: above post has been edited with a successful demo for the Gentryiification room.

All these demos have been checked in 5.1.1.424X.
12-26-2021 at 04:18 PM
hyperme
I've checked the provided demos, and everything seems to be in order. None of the rooms were broken, which is good!

Some things will need to be arranged for the broken rooms, so things are nearly done.

12-26-2021 at 04:36 PM
Dragon Fogel
Looking more closely at the 1S3E demo in two versions to help me better understand what happened here.

In 5.1, after I've placed two briar roots, the arrangement of briar is like this:

-GBR
-GBR
RBRR

G(reen) for roots, B(lack) for mature, R(ed) for immature

In 5.1.1, it's like this:
-GBR
-GBR
RBR-

In both cases, on the turn before, it looked like this (I built the south root on this turn):

-GB-
-BR-
----

In the old version, I think the sequence of events is this:
-Build new root
-First root matures red tile
-Second root makes patch grow. Red tile is now black so patch grows diagonally. It does not matter whether the root is attached or not.

In the new version, the only order that seems to produce this result is this:
-Newly-built root grows, as though it is unattached to existing patch
-Pre-existing root matures red tile

However, according to Advanced Concepts 2, briar roots are processed north to south and then west to east. So this is going against that priority, as the new root is to the south of the pre-existing one.

I'm not sure what the root processing order is on future turns. Seems worth clarifying what's going on here, because it's definitely weird? (Maybe I should take this to another thread or create a new one.)
12-26-2021 at 05:05 PM
hyperme
Sounds like "fun" and "exciting" weirdness introduced when the "Magical briar connections" were fixed. Probably best to make a new thread to keep things organised.

12-26-2021 at 05:35 PM
Dragon Fogel
For the Trooper Stupor room, a simple demo-preserving change would be to just put oremites in the top row of the guard chamber. Could be one tile that's not oremites so you still have to realize you can walk onto a dagger.

Obviously it's up to disoriented what he wants to do, but that's what came to mind as a quick fix.
12-26-2021 at 05:50 PM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2379
Dragon Fogel wrote:
For the Trooper Stupor room, a simple demo-preserving change would be to just put oremites in the top row of the guard chamber. Could be one tile that's not oremites so you still have to realize you can walk onto a dagger.

Obviously it's up to disoriented what he wants to do, but that's what came to mind as a quick fix.

I tested this room using the Mac 5.1.1.409 build, and the room was still possible as-is.

Is the behavior change in a newer revision than that?

If so, and the room is impossible now, then I'm ok with the approach Fogel suggested. Please add two oremite tiles at (11,6) and (12,6) if that's necessary.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 12-27-2021 06:54 AM]
12-27-2021 at 06:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
The test build is 5.1.1.424X, the change is one of the more recent ones. So yes, it broke in a new way.

Under the old behavior, guards would not make bump moves with the dagger against force arrows they couldn't cross. Now they do. Fortunately, this wacky room is the only one using that behavior.

I attempted to play around with spawning roaches to see if I could find an alternate solution, but the guards just dagger through them.
12-27-2021 at 07:07 AM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Rooms broken by 5.1.1
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com