Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Mockups of how I see DROD on NES (DROD in all* it's glory, compressed into 256x240 pixels and eight three-color palettes)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
JustSomeDude
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 32
IP: Logged
icon Mockups of how I see DROD on NES (+7)  
As a huge fan of retro games, I enjoy dabbling in the era of NES and SNES, specifically into making my own pixel art and chiptunes. Here are some quick mockups of how I think DROD would be ported onto the NES

(ROUGH) TITLE SCREEN
Click here to view the secret text

GAMEPLAY

FULL SPRITESHEET (Complete with cycling palettes)

Now I'm fully aware of a couple things. First off, the game would be difficult to control, as the NES D-pad only had four directions. But I thought about this, and devised two modes of movement you could pick from.

TYPE A - Aim a move with the D-pad and release to move. A and B to rotate. Select to wait.
TYPE B - Aim a move with the D-pad and press A to move. Aim left or right and press B to rotate. Press A without touching the D-pad to wait. Supports repeating moves by holding

I realize DROD wasn't made for NES. It'd just be cool to see.
Also I wanna clarify that I came up with these BEFORE discovering this post by skell from last year regarding a console release.

Another thing I'm aware of is just how slow the game would be with all the entities on screen. It'd be a miracle if it didn't crash.

The font in my drawings is a recreation of the font used in the official games for nearly everything.

But yeah, there is my interpretation of DROD on NES! Thank you for taking time out of your day to stop and read/look at what I've created.

To ensure our legacy surely will stay.
09-15-2020 at 05:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Mockups of how I see DROD on NES (+1)  
Delightful, sir!

-Erik

09-15-2020 at 05:42 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Mockups of how I see DROD on NES (+1)  
This oozes nostalgia!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
09-21-2020 at 07:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Mockups of how I see DROD on NES (DROD in all* it's glory, compressed into 256x240 pixels and eight three-color palettes)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com