Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Entry Point a free SMS?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
IP: Logged
icon Entry Point a free SMS? (0)  
So, since the site is honoring the Entry Point project with it's own Deadly Bar of Death, might that mean that it's recognized enough to be accepted into the Official Holds club? Not to the extent of charging money for it, just, you know, including it in the category.

Hey, maybe we could even add voice acting to make it fit in better. There's already casting calls going on for Treacle Stew.

08-25-2020 at 04:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4576
icon Re: Entry Point a free SMS? (+3)  
We've talked about the possibility of voice acting a couple of times, but never in a serious way, because we're all aware of the obvious problem -- the hold is far too big for it. Even granting that most rooms don't have any dialogue, there is still a ton of dialogue in the hold, and getting it all voice-acted would require, not just finding people willing to do that amount of recording, but a huge administrative task getting the dialogue to the actors and getting their recordings into the hold. And it's just not worth adding that much to our workload when we are in the middle of the final push to try to get the hold ready so we can release it.

08-25-2020 at 05:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1527
icon Re: Entry Point a free SMS? (+1)  
I agree with both sentiments presented here.

That is: I think Entry Point is an amazing project that kind of deserves some official recognition, and when it's done, pointing (future?) players at it in some official capacity would be pretty cool. I guess calling it a "free Smitemaster's Selection" would be a way to do that; I don't really know what the "rules" are for what can and can't be one of those, if any.

Also: Scope creep is a huge problem; it seems like the bigger a project already is, the greater the temptation to make it even bigger. I agree trying to get voice acting at this point is totally impractical. For something of this size, it would probably have needed to be among the very first things decided on to include. So: Cool but impractical. The only "dream situation" where I could ever see it getting voice acting would be like, after it's done and out the door, officially released and everything with no more architecture to be done, to do the VA as a later add-on? But that seems unlikely, unnecessary, and it would still "cost" the same effort and time as doing it now would, which is probably too much for anyone involved to shoulder.

I guess I would say, if all it took to get voice acting in a hold was to snap my fingers and "boom, voice acting!", then yes, absolutely. But as a practical, logistical concern, probably not a good idea at all.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 08-25-2020 05:30 AM]
08-25-2020 at 05:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3406
icon Re: Entry Point a free SMS? (0)  
It's already Scope Creep: The Hold. Why not go for it?

08-25-2020 at 06:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
I don't think we need to worry about there being some sort of "official" status for the Entry Point Project. It's been a part of the community for a while already with all the talk in chat about it, and the players who have tested it all generally seem to view the hold positively.

If players ask in chat what holds they should be playing, we can always just mention this one alongside the SMS, Advanced Concepts, and Bad Evil Restaurant.

08-25-2020 at 07:54 AM
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: Entry Point a free SMS? (+10)  
SMS holds
- are made by (or for) Caravel
- have story made by the Caravel team, and voice acting
- cost SMS credits, which cost money

This doesn't seem to meet any of those, so it doesn't make much sense to me to make it an SMS. Also, the system we have in place does not currently have any way to have an SMS be freely available to everyone.

08-25-2020 at 02:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Illusionist
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 165
icon Re: Entry Point a free SMS? (+2)  
Nuntar wrote:
We've talked about the possibility of voice acting a couple of times, but never in a serious way, because we're all aware of the obvious problem -- the hold is far too big for it.

The, what? How "big" are we talking about?:w00t
Guys, what are you planning to unleash on us?
08-29-2020 at 10:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4576
icon Re: Entry Point a free SMS? (+5)  
The current official room count is 2,151.

08-30-2020 at 06:11 AM
Illusionist
Nuntar wrote:
The current official room count is 2,151.

Oh my :beer

08-30-2020 at 06:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Illusionist
icon Re: Entry Point a free SMS? (0)  
With all of that said, once it's released it would probably be a wise idea to update some of the website pages (like recommendations) with this hold, with some commentary. (I could do it, if necessary)
01-23-2021 at 12:12 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Entry Point a free SMS?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com