Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : High Path Map not to Scale? (I mathed things out.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
IP: Logged
icon High Path Map not to Scale? (+2)  
This map.

Click here to view the secret text

So, the receptionist in Master Locks (Nethkept Amanent on this map), claims that Rooted Hold (Gate of Sheathing) is ten miles away, which Beethro figures is "half a day's walk".

With that metric in mind, I've estimated the length of the entire thing to be approximately 80 miles.

By Beethro's measurements, walking the path without interruption from the various holds built along it would have taken 4 days.

According to this page, it takes the average delver just over two days to clear a level. There were a total of 19 major puzzle levels in those holds, plus two levels with only a single puzzle room that I'm going to say qualify as half a level each. That's slightly more than another 40 days.

The Eighth's calendar has 9 months with 37 days each. 333 days in a year. So, if Beethro was walking that path for a year, what was he doing for the other approximately 289 days?

06-16-2020 at 09:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
disoriented
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2379
icon Re: High Path Map not to Scale? (+1)  
Eating and sleeping would be my guess.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
06-16-2020 at 10:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3406
icon Re: High Path Map not to Scale? (+13)  
06-16-2020 at 10:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2379
icon Re: High Path Map not to Scale? (+4)  
Dischorran wrote:
http://forum.caravelgames.com/holds.php

That took me like 9 years...

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
06-16-2020 at 11:21 PM
greenscience
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 141
icon Re: High Path Map not to Scale? (+3)  
Beethro wasn't sure how long he walked for since he cannot see the sun. A year is an upper limit; it is perfectly possible that Beethro only walked for 2-3 months.

Eating and sleeping are definitely factors. Beethro is probably only walking about a third to half of a day. He also mentioned fighting Wraithwings. Assuming those Wraithwings live along the path instead of in holds, Beethro could have spent several hours per day just fighting Wraithwing and other monsters on the path.

I did not see any indication of whether Beethro had to make a detour to Foremost Seal while traveling along High Path. If he did it should add 40-50 miles to the journey. Plus the parts of High Path seen are not perfectly straight, so some times Beethro may walk farther than 10 miles to progress 10 miles as the Wraithwing flies.

The linked page says that 3 levels generally takes a week to clear. However that could be limited to the standard experienced by abovegrounders. Holds built by the Empire could have been more complex, taking longer to clear a level.
06-16-2020 at 11:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
icon Re: High Path Map not to Scale? (0)  
Furthermore, at the start of Beethro's Teacher (Nethkept Emenant) he claims to have been travelling for five months. He also claims it would be a five month walk back to the Perfectionist Complex. The implication there is that he got to the Perfectionist Complex within the first week or so.

Also, the Foremost Seal was where Denfry had just come from before meeting Beethro.

[Last edited by averagemoe at 06-17-2020 12:33 AM]
06-17-2020 at 12:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
greenscience
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 141
icon Re: High Path Map not to Scale? (+2)  
I'm not sure how much I should trust Beethro's sense of time down there when saying he took 5 months to reach Nethkept Emanent. Although his claim that going back should take about the same amount suggests that he did not take much time clearing holds in between (including Perfectionist Complex itself), or if he did then he would have to clear them going both ways.

Either way, if most of the 5 months was spent walking from Complex to Emanent then either the map is not to scale or there are some reasons why traveling between Complex and Emanent takes so much longer than from Dugandy to Complex. Maybe that part of the path is more infected with monsters or contains significant vertical distance to travel that is not represented well by a top-down map.
06-17-2020 at 01:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : High Path Map not to Scale? (I mathed things out.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com