Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Architecture Salon (Themed Levels)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.6/10 (8 votes)
σ 1.11
Author Name:Joko
Submitted By:jokokoe
Hold Name:Architecture Salon
Theme:Themed Levels
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:26
Number of Rooms:315
Number of Monsters:2083
Version:DROD: The Second Sky (5.0.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:10 (+10 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Architecture Salon_final.hold (183.2 KB)
Downloaded 328 times.
License: Other
icon Architecture Salon  
A long, very long work, should I say dream, started 4 years ago that finally comes true. A lot of small levels and a direct access to -almost- all of them. A lot of secret rooms and a postmaster area for the most fearless smitemasters !

Don’t forget to post your « battle arena » highscore here !
07-16-2019 at 02:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Bent
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 92
icon Re: Architecture Salon (+2)  
Architecture Salon really wowed me from the get-go! It starts you off in a huge and grandiose hub level, packed with level entries and secrets, which really builds anticipation and excitement for what’s to come. I’ve seen a lot of hub levels in DROD, but this is by far the most impressing to me, its only downside being that it can be a bit hard to navigate. When it comes to aesthetics, Architecture Salon is consistently one of the nicest looking holds I’ve played, comparable to gems such as “Gigantic Jewel Lost” and “A Day at the Beach”.

There are a lot of levels in the hold, all with a unique theme and look. Most of them are bite-sized, averaging around ten rooms each, but generally still feel complete enough. Difficultly-wise I agree with the creator’s rating of 6.5 brains. Most rooms provide a challenge, but I rarely got stuck. The difficultly of the levels vary quite a bit, but I don’t think that is a bad thing in such an open-ended hold. The puzzles themselves are very varied, but a majority of them focus on monster manipulation, tactics and strategy. There are quite a few lynchpins as well, but they are the exception rather than the rule, and I think that is the only real downside to the hold. Some of my favorite levels were River Crossing (located at 3E), The Eye (2S1E) and Imprisoned (2S3E). I also contributed a couple of levels to the hold myself, namely Adders and Brains (2S) and Small Sands (1S3E).

Because of its sheer size, conquering the hold is quite a feat. Personally I have a bad track record when it comes to finishing large holds – somewhere along the way life tends to get in the way, and this was no exception. Even though I spent a whole lot of hours playtesting the hold over the course of months, I have only completed around two thirds of it – but I peeked in the editor, and there is definitely some very cool endgame content in this hold as well.

In short: I really recommend this hold!
07-17-2019 at 04:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jokokoe
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 71

File: Architecture Salon_final.hold (183.3 KB)
Downloaded 38 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Architecture Salon (0)  
Dying Flutchman found a bug, If you finish River Crossing and then enter directly in Small Sands, you will wear a staff instead of a sword.

I've attached the hold with the correction included, would be nice if the HAs could update it !

Architecture Salon
Do it Again

[Last edited by jokokoe at 07-18-2019 09:55 PM]
07-18-2019 at 09:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2379

File: AS Beethro Learns Painting 1N1W no challenge.demo (20.5 KB)
Downloaded 46 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Architecture Salon (0)  
Bug in Beethro Learns Painting : 1 North, 1 West

Challenge is not awarded if two of the three mirrors are pushed into the pit on the same turn. Demo attached.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
08-05-2019 at 01:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Architecture Salon (Themed Levels) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com