Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : GOG - Smitemaster's Selections, OSTs, Other Variants
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Lord Moontram
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 26
IP: Logged
icon GOG - Smitemaster's Selections, OSTs, Other Variants (+4)  
Sorry if this is both in the wrong section and answered (a lot?) beforehand. I've just gotten into DROD and I'm a BIG fan. I'm not particularly GOOD at it but it's so addicting and I literally think this series might last me for decades.

Anyway. I have Asperger's and OCD (amongst other things) and like to own as much as possible for series' to feel somewhat 'complete'. I tend to buy my games on GOG so I bought all the DROD games there. I have the 1+2+3 pack, RPG: Tendry's Tale, Gunthro, and The Second Sky. I also like to collect OSTs (again, for completion's sake. Usually FLAC versions for that tasty, tasty loseless goodness)), so I bought The City Beneath, Gunthro, and The Second Sky on Bandcamp, and I re-bought RPG: Tendry's Tale on Steam just so I could buy the mp3 OST alongside it. Finally I've recently (as in an hour ago, or so) bought 'Deadly Music of Death' on Caravel Games direct, mp3 or no.

Sorry this is long-winded. What I really wanted to ask is... I notice that the complete 'Smitemaster's Selections' is on Steam and on here, but not GOG. Will they come to GOG? If I buy them here or on Steam, etc, can they simply WORK with the GOG versions if I copy them across? Unless they're exes and the like purely made for Steam and this site?

Any help appreciated. Is there anything else huge I'm missing? I know this is a long, organic series and I can't truly get everything, but for example I do think I'm missing out with Smitemaster's Selections. I don't want to re-buy EVERYthing.

What about OSTs, etc?

Kind regards.
06-23-2019 at 11:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3624
icon Re: GOG - Smitemaster's Selections, OSTs, Other Variants (+2)  
Hi,

I'm not one of the official devs but I can try to help out. As far as I know the Smitemasters' Selections aren't available for direct purchase from GOG. However, if you buy them through the Caravel website (and associate them with the forum account that you now have), that will enable one of two equivalent ways to import the holds into your game:

1) In your Profile section on this forum site, go to the Purchases tab. This will let you download the SmS .hold files to your computer, and you can then import them using the in-game Change Location screen like you would with any other hold.

2) If you have CaravelNet, you can download the holds from the server and directly import them into the game.

I can't know whether that'll be good enough for your organizational system, but at the very least you'll have them. :)

06-24-2019 at 01:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lord Moontram
icon Re: GOG - Smitemaster's Selections, OSTs, Other Variants (+1)  
Thanks for the reply! Such a warm community :)

See, that's what I was wondering; I'm so new to the series I wasn't sure how additional levels/expansions worked, so I just wondered if it was a case of buying, for example, the complete 'Smitemaster's Selections' here and then being able to cut/paste the level (?) files into the GOG version's relevant folder and import them, or if that collection used exes and wouldn't be compatible.
06-24-2019 at 02:07 AM
navithmastero
Rank Points: 596
It's not even that complicated. SMS files (like all other holds) have the file extension .hold and can be imported directly into DROD. If you go onto the 'Change Location's screen, there should be an 'Import' button, which can be used to download the particular levelset directly into the DROD engine from any directory on your computer (although obviously after downloading the .hold file from the internet first!).

Hope this makes sense!

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

06-24-2019 at 09:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lord Moontram
navithmastero wrote: <snip>
I think I gotcha!

So, just to see if I'm gotten this all correct, if I bought the Steam bundle here (I'd like to buy on Caravel but it's just too much of a discount on Steam for the set!) I simply download them from that client then import the files directly into my GOG versions? Final note (don't know if it's specific to GOG or not, since that's all I have); which version of DROD on GOG do I use for these? Or are they all compatible?

If it's this easy it makes me wonder why the set isn't available on GOG direct?

[Last edited by Lord Moontram at 06-24-2019 10:57 PM]
06-24-2019 at 10:55 PM
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2670
I dont think Steam gives you the hold files for the Smitemaster Selections. I think it installs them automatically into the game. So I dont think you'll be able to import them into the GoG versions.
06-24-2019 at 11:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2384
You’ll want to play all the holds in the 5.x version of the engine (the latest one that ships with The Second Sky). It has some nice features like multiple undo.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
06-25-2019 at 12:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lord Moontram
Oooh... So maybe only buying direct from here gives you the files direct, to copy?

Hmmm. I guess if that's true I'll have to hold off, for now; just a bit too much in comparison.

Edit: Hah, screw it, if I can get confirmation I can get the files direct from this website to use on GOG (whichever game/s they work on) I'll but them any way; gotta get what I can get! :D

[Last edited by Lord Moontram at 06-25-2019 01:52 AM]
06-25-2019 at 12:23 AM
Lord Moontram
Sorry for double-posting (is that frowned upon?), but I bought all the packs on this website and it worked a treat. They did cost a lot more than on Steam (Steam was $15 for all, Caravel was $45!) but I didn't want to pay on Steam and I couldn't import them. Anyway, more levels for my GOG version(s)!
06-25-2019 at 05:52 PM
Lord Moontram
Oh God, I'm having so much fun! I'm sorry, again; third post in a row, and I know I sound like a total fanboy, but really... It's.. SO. GOOD.

So yah, on GOG I have DROD 1+2+3, Tendy's Tale, Gunthro, Second Sky, Architects' edition, Smitemaster's Selections (all), OSTs - The City Beneath, Gunthro, The Second Sky, Tendry's Tale, Deadly Music of Death (I and II)... Am I missing anything major?

Gosh, I'm such a fan already. I'd love to complete my collection. Hell, I'd love to voice a character! Sorry for being such a bore <3
06-26-2019 at 03:28 AM
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
There are occasionally custom holds that are looking for voice work. Most custom holds don't bother with it though.

For that matter, you could create your own levels and do voices there.

I should have said something earlier regarding the GOG situation. I play there and haven't had any problems with my Smitemaster Selections. Unlike on Steam (I purchased them twice because fanboy) where several of them have some minor issues.

06-26-2019 at 09:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
JamesBond007
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 43
icon Re: GOG - Smitemaster's Selections, OSTs, Other Variants (0)  
I think I figured out how to bring everything on GOG.

Assuming that GOG doesn't have DLC limits per game like Steam, in my opinion current versions of first four games should be removed. Instead, they should be offered as DLC for The Second Sky, all updated to the newest 5.0 version with challenges. Also, all current owners should get updated versions for free.

After that, bringing the Smitemaster Selections and the soundtrack should be a piece of cake.
07-25-2019 at 09:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : GOG - Smitemaster's Selections, OSTs, Other Variants
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com