Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : 258th Slayer
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
IP: Logged
icon 258th Slayer (+3)  
I was looking through The City Beneath, and decided I'd test the claim of "flawless consistency" by counting the number of Slayers attending the conference. True to Beethro's title, there are exactly 255 slayers in that room.

But then I remembered that there were 2 slayers in Finding the First Truth who missed the meeting. I get that their inclusion wasn't planned at the time, but we should retroactively explain why Beethro never made a stop at 3rd Slayer. Had they just been locked up there so long they were assumed dead?

05-09-2019 at 08:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: 258th Slayer (+1)  
averagemoe wrote:
But then I remembered that there were 2 slayers in Finding the First Truth who missed the meeting.
!

I had not remembered that! As the TCB story was designed, all the slayers had attended that meeting.

You, sir, have proven time and again that you have an eagle eye for detail. I salute you!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 05-09-2019 10:01 PM]
05-09-2019 at 10:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3624
icon Re: 258th Slayer (+3)  
Explanation A: They'd been locked up so long that they were presumed dead

Explanation B: They're just skilled trainees that don't die immediately in the room they're introduced

Explanation C: Like the Bricklayer in DROD: RPG, they're just skilled adherents of the Slayer arts who are nonetheless not official Slayers

Explanation D: Once, long ago, these two Slayers managed to track down a Delver in a zonally-deallocated hold. Eventually they managed to corner and kill them, but they got some blood splatter on one of the well-polished statues. This severely annoyed 75th Statue Arranger, who decided to take petty revenge by contacting their friend 35th Census Taker and listing those two Slayers as dead.

Explanation E: Due to a clerical error there are five hundred Slayers who are all 177th Slayer.

Explanation F: I want to put more Slayers in canonical holds and there's nothing you can do to stop me.

Explanation G: ???

05-09-2019 at 11:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: 258th Slayer (0)  
LOL!

See? Flawlessly consistent!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-10-2019 at 12:55 AM
averagemoe
Aren't explanations B and C the same thing?

05-10-2019 at 04:17 AM
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3624
icon Re: 258th Slayer (+3)  
I see official Slayer trainees as vat creations directly from the Slayer recipes, who just haven't received all the instruction yet to actually receive an official Slayer name and position from the Naming office. (Thus why those five Slayers you fought in TCB in the Naming Office Arena didn't have names and didn't count as part of the 255 Slayers.)

There isn't necessarily anything stopping particularly motivated Empire citizens from obtaining the clothing, equipment, and training materials necessary to at least resemble a Slayer in appearance and damage output... although the exact nature of generating a wisp is still nebulous at this point, if you'll pardon the pun.

05-10-2019 at 04:43 AM
Mecejide
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 21
Here’s another thing that doesn’t quite make sense. In TSS, how come you can access the levels from RttS in LtAtRQ and ST, even though you haven’t done them yet in this timeline?
05-11-2019 at 01:07 AM
averagemoe
Maybe because the Beethro native to this timeline had been doing them while you were up north.

What happened to that guy anyway?

05-11-2019 at 04:13 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : 258th Slayer
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes