Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Streaming - help wanted. (Trying to get the kinks out.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Streaming - help wanted. (+2)  
I've got most things figured out. Got my OBS software configured how I like, webcam, mics, etc. Technically, it all works. Would kind of like to get some people on chat during the stream so I can see how that goes.

So tonight 4/3 6pm PST, I'm going to play through a hold that Chaco recommended. I would love some people to join me and chat along. I know it's an impossible thing on the Internet to get anyone to pay attention to a thing you're doing, but if you can join, that would be cool.

I think this link below is the place you go to. I think I got this right.
https://youtu.be/yH_7PzNVADE

-Erik

04-04-2019 at 01:17 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: Streaming - help wanted. (+2)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
I've got most things figured out. Got my OBS software configured how I like, webcam, mics, etc. Technically, it all works. Would kind of like to get some people on chat during the stream so I can see how that goes.

So tonight 4/3 6pm PST, I'm going to play through a hold that Chaco recommended. I would love some people to join me and chat along. I know it's an impossible thing on the Internet to get anyone to pay attention to a thing you're doing, but if you can join, that would be cool.

I think this link below is the place you go to. I think I got this right.
https://youtu.be/yH_7PzNVADE

-Erik
Okay, here is what I learned with the helpful help of helping helpers...

1. My voice audio is a bit quiet.
2. People's access to a live stream can be somewhat sporadic, and this is sometimes but not always tied to issues with my bandwidth/streaming. The status indicator on both youtube and OBS (my local software) can be wrong about the good health of the stream as well.
3. Chat messages entered before stream start and after stream end are available while stream is playing.
3b. But not after archival.
4. Starting a stream, give about 3 seconds of dead air before talking. (Or I get get a startup screen, so people don't have to look at me doing dead air.)
5. Stopping the stream on the other hand, is timed pretty accurately on when I click the stop button in my software.

Importantly...
6. I see no way to play back the chat from the live session with the archived video. This makes an annoying video where half the conversation is missing. Options here...
a. Find some way to enable the chat playback, if it exists.
b. Repeat what people said before replying.
c. Add a chat overlay thing into OBS so that the chat is displayed and recorded inside of the video.

More importantly...
7. DROD playing is degraded 43.7% by simultaneously chat-talking.

Thanks to the people that joined! And it was nice to talk with a few oldtimers from way back.

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 04-04-2019 03:58 AM]
04-04-2019 at 03:17 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: Streaming - help wanted. (+1)  
6a. Got chat replay working.

Phew!

-Erik

04-04-2019 at 03:30 AM
mauvebutterfly
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 720
Congrats on a successful stream. It was a good watch.

It's also kind of funny just how much the community seems to have deviated the kinds of puzzles you liked back in the day. It must be kind of weird seeing your child all grown up with a will of its own.

04-04-2019 at 04:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
mauvebutterfly wrote:
It's also kind of funny just how much the community seems to have deviated the kinds of puzzles you liked back in the day. It must be kind of weird seeing your child all grown up with a will of its own.
Yes, that's kinda what it's like. Not that it bothers me, but it is a tad strange to behold.

-Erik

04-04-2019 at 04:46 AM
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1531
For the chat issue, I usually pop out the chat into a separate window and have OBS capture that as part of my actual stream. I use twitch, of course, but I assume youtube also has a way to pop the chat out like that? This has the added benefit that people watching my stream can see exactly when their message becomes available for me to read, what with the delay from things going over the internet.

If you want to capture chat that happens after you stop streaming, OBS does have separate buttons for "stop recording" and "stop streaming" (so you could record for a moment after the stream actually stops going out). But I usually find everyone's stopped writing things into the chat by the time I finish saying farewell and actually push the stop button anyway.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 04-04-2019 05:05 AM]
04-04-2019 at 05:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Yes, under YouTube Studio (beta) in the chat settings there is a button that will give you a pop-out window of the chat. If you save the address of this window into OBS it will work on subsequent streams as well; just paste that address into a browser window to create the chat pop-out before starting each stream.

04-04-2019 at 05:05 AM
ErikH2000
icon Re: Streaming - help wanted. (0)  
mauvebutterfly wrote:
Yes, under YouTube Studio (beta) in the chat settings there is a button that will give you a pop-out window of the chat. If you save the address of this window into OBS it will work on subsequent streams as well; just paste that address into a browser window to create the chat pop-out before starting each stream.
The question is...

Do I want to use the chat replay built in to YouTube or embed it into the video via OBS?

-Erik

04-04-2019 at 05:14 AM
mauvebutterfly
That's probably up to personal preference. Embedding the chat into OBS is probably the better option for a single monitor setup, but if you can display the chat on another monitor where you can see it the youtube default chat should be fine.

At least that's been my experience.

04-04-2019 at 07:14 AM
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1531
As someone who wants to obsessively archive everything, I record the chat even though I do usually have two monitors, because I don't trust twitch to actually keep that record for me for a long period of time.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 04-04-2019 03:51 PM]
04-04-2019 at 03:50 PM
ErikH2000
mauvebutterfly wrote:
That's probably up to personal preference. Embedding the chat into OBS is probably the better option for a single monitor setup, but if you can display the chat on another monitor where you can see it the youtube default chat should be fine.
I'm leaning towards embedding now. 8've got 2 monitors, so it's easy enough for me to put YouTube chat on my "off" monitor like you suggest. But I think the variety of YouTube clients or just URLs used to view the same content increase the likelihood of people not seeing chat playback from the archives. So embedded just keeps the chat there with the vid.

Anyhow, I will play with it some more.

-Erik

04-04-2019 at 03:52 PM
ErikH2000
Xindaris wrote:
As someone who wants to obsessively archive everything, I record the chat even though I do usually have two monitors, because I don't trust twitch to actually keep that record for me for a long period of time.
And it doesn't sound like you are paranoid about this. I'm guessing you do simultaneous record/stream in OBS?

Also, I love OBS. My favorite software of 2019.

-Erik

04-04-2019 at 03:54 PM
ErikH2000

File: embeddedchat.png (532.9 KB)
Downloaded 41 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Streaming - help wanted. (+3)  
Yeah, I think I'm really wanting embedded now. I got it working with Youtube chat and even did some slightly tricky stuff like making a custom background that replaces their ugly-for-me bright white.

Here's my thinking why embedded is better.

PROS
* You control how it is shown, colors, etc.
* People can fullscreen the stream and see details in the main content area better while still being able to read chat.
* Immunity from any changes that Youtube makes to chat later.
* Ability to host the video in other places beside Youtube and retain the chat playback.
* Ability to use a higher-quality local recording for the archive instead of the bandwidth-limited stream.
* Works on consoles, smart TVs, etc. that have less full-featured Youtube clients.
* Forces you to design a viewing experience that puts all elements a viewer would want to see in one place. Otherwise, I am leaving that task to the viewer to fiddle with window positioning, etc. (This could also be considered a con if user wants to do this.)

CONS
* Viewers will see the chat double if they've got it showing in the Youtube client, and that looks kind of stupid or confusing.
* My main content area must be smaller to make room for chat text, effectively showing the main content at a lower resolution.
* Full-screening hides the UI that allows sending chat text. With full-screening being more encouraged, viewers may be less likely to chat.

-Erik

04-06-2019 at 01:15 AM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
I appreciate you sharing your experience with the various modes, Erik.

I agree with the points you made.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-08-2019 at 04:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Streaming - help wanted. (Trying to get the kinks out.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com