Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Ha! A flaw! (in consistency)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
IP: Logged
icon Ha! A flaw! (+1)  
Right from the start of The City Beneath, it's established that the Empire keeps the entirety of Rooted Hold (except processing station 9) covered in oremites to enforce the law of the Gate of Sheathing.

But in Finding the First Truth, going to the place that overlooks the path to Gate of Namedness has a little show of people moving around that features some Empire Guards with their swords unsheathed.

Explain that plot hole.

03-20-2019 at 04:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3623
icon Re: Ha! A flaw! (+1)  
Those guards had Oremite Swords, made of the same material as the Oremite Shields.

Or they're wood swords painted steel-colored.

Or the oremites were on their lunch break.

Or, as a real stretch, we messed up and forgot about that, but clearly that's super unlikely.

03-20-2019 at 06:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pearls
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 767
icon Re: Ha! A flaw! (+1)  
It's superstition. The average citizen doesn't know what oremites look like, presuming they're too small to see, but also don't want metal valuables to be destroyed, so they just trust the guards.

It's a cost effective enforcement, since coating an entire city in oremites is a bit of an undertaking. As long as no one gets too cheeky and tries this claim, and, really are you really going to argue with someone who has a sword and would like to keep this under wraps?

"Ha! You're lying, there aren't any oremites! You can draw that sword and...oh."

As for Beethro, he's just being polite. He's a stranger in a strange land/hasn't seen oremites up to that point? I can't remember.

..or whatever you want to believe!

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Pearls at 03-20-2019 04:07 PM]
03-20-2019 at 04:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Ha! A flaw! (in consistency)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com