Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : The Twelve Days of Christmas (Christmas contest with a fixed number of monsters)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.7/10 (3 votes)
σ 1.25
Author Name:Aiko
Submitted By:Nuntar
Hold Name:The Twelve Days of Christmas
Theme:Christmas contest with a fixed number of monsters
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:17
Number of Rooms:156
Number of Monsters:1408
Version:DROD: The Second Sky (5.0.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:0 (+10 / -10)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: The Twelve Days of Christmas.hold (110.2 KB)
Downloaded 307 times.
License: Other
icon The Twelve Days of Christmas  
This is the compilation for Caravel's December 2016 contest. The rubric was to make a level with a specific number of each type of monster, inspired by the "Twelve Days of Christmas" song.
12-06-2018 at 06:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3623
icon Re: The Twelve Days of Christmas (+2)  
Here's another case study in how tough it can be to pick a difficulty rating for a contest compilation. Most of the levels included in here are pretty standard DROD fare - the top three in particular are real fun to play! It's cool to just look at each level and marvel at the minimalism of a few rooms, how you can make puzzles with just a small individualized count of monsters.

Beating every single level in this compilation is another story, though - mxvladi's "Lazy Architect's Basement" and uncopy2002's "And Then There Were None" are tremendously difficult and will challenge even the DROD experts.

All levels are accessible from the beginning and are exit-able at any time, so feel free to explore the entire hold and sample all the different room styles available. There's nothing special behind the blue door, so only completionists need beat all the holds in one save game.

[Last edited by Chaco at 12-06-2018 06:51 PM]
12-06-2018 at 06:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2430
icon Re: The Twelve Days of Christmas (+2)  
This was a fun contest to enter, and there are plenty of good rooms here - although there are also some very hard ones, and sometimes those sets don't overlap.

I only have one complaint about the actual organization of this compilation. After completing a level and leaving, access to that level is blocked off. However, my own level was specifically set up to be replayed, as each room has two solutions and a challenge for each. In addition, Xindaris' level has seeding beacons for each room with a challenge. There are also secret rooms, though I haven't looked to see if this arrangement blocks those off if you complete the level and leave, or if they were somehow accounted for.

It would be nice if the hold could be updated to allow revisiting levels. This wouldn't affect high scores at all, since none of the hub rooms are scorable.
12-12-2018 at 05:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel

File: Last-Minute Shopping.hold (20.4 KB)
Downloaded 52 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: The Twelve Days of Christmas (0)  
I discovered an unintended solution in 1S in my entry. Unfortunately, testing of changes was very light so I wasn't aware of it until now.

At the moment, only disoriented and I have scores for the room, and I've already made a version that fixes the problem. If possible, I'd like to replace it; disoriented is fine with this room being changed.

I know it's not common to update holds to fix unintended solutions, but I thought I'd ask in case the people who can make decisions on this are willing to grant an exception for the holidays.

If not, well, then I guess people can download that level on its own in this attachment and see how I fixed it.

[Last edited by Dragon Fogel at 12-15-2018 07:01 AM]
12-15-2018 at 06:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4576

File: The Twelve Days of Christmas.hold (110.2 KB)
Downloaded 46 times.
Here's the full hold file including the changed room. I believe this would be Schik's decision, so I'll drop him a PM.

12-15-2018 at 08:08 AM
Dragon Fogel

File: LMS 1S Demos.zip (4.9 KB)
Downloaded 47 times.
Demos for the changed room. These were made in the revised version of the full hold, in case that makes a difference.
12-18-2018 at 10:40 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : The Twelve Days of Christmas (Christmas contest with a fixed number of monsters) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com