Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Does JTRH 5.0 recognize killing the Slayer beyond the achievements?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
dudeman
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
IP: Logged
icon Does JTRH 5.0 recognize killing the Slayer beyond the achievements? (0)  
The main thing I'm curious about is the first encounter with big purple. After all, I don't believe ghosts exist in the Eighth, so the ghost of 39th Slayer going "THIS IS OUTSTANDING" after immediately killing him ruins my immersion and makes the game completely unplayable. Does JTRH 5.0 fix this game-breaking bug?

I mean I'll probably buy it anyway but still
06-05-2018 at 08:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
icon Re: Does JTRH 5.0 recognize killing the Slayer beyond the achievements? (0)  
It does not shut him up when he dies. Except for speech cues that are triggered by him being in a certain location, but that's a given.

06-05-2018 at 08:35 PM
Trickster
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 662
icon Re: Does JTRH 5.0 recognize killing the Slayer beyond the achievements? (0)  
dudeman wrote:
I don't believe ghosts exist in the Eighth, so ... this makes the game completely unplayable.

Official Hold Progress
Click here to view the secret text

Favorite Unofficial Holds (I need to play more!)

My Holds

06-06-2018 at 12:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
dudeman
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
averagemoe wrote:
It does not shut him up when he dies. Except for speech cues that are triggered by him being in a certain location, but that's a given.
That's a shame. I would've loved it if his class reacted to him getting slapped down by some random delver with a sword and an ugly mug, but oh well.

Trickster wrote:
<image>
Yeah man the moment I saw that floating text box, I closed the game, uninstalled it, deleted my save, and requested a refund on GOG. It was just never gonna be the same again, y'know?
06-06-2018 at 02:06 PM
mauvebutterfly
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 720
icon Re: Does JTRH 5.0 recognize killing the Slayer beyond the achievements? (+1)  
The Slayer was supposed to be unkillable. The reason there's no response to killing him in the hold is because the developers didn't anticipate people being able to kill him. Over the years the community has gotten a lot better at manipulating various game elements, and killing the slayer is generally seen as a fairly simple thing to do in a lot of cases.

The 5.0 remake adds challenges, but doesn't add any new spoken lines as far as I know. The remake didn't go as far as recording new lines with voice actors or anything like that.

In short, you aren't supposed to be able to kill the slayer, but since it was discovered that you can, an achievement was added for it in the 5.0 remake.

06-06-2018 at 02:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
icon Re: Does JTRH 5.0 recognize killing the Slayer beyond the achievements? (+1)  
In Flood Warning, if Petri dies in one of the early rooms, a floating text box will have him say that he's only wounded and will recover. So here's a headcannon solution. Lets say that the Empire engineered Slayers to be basically immune to swords, in the sense that it won't kill them, but will injure them to the point of needing medical attention.

06-06-2018 at 05:59 PM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Does JTRH 5.0 recognize killing the Slayer beyond the achievements? (+2)  
I'm laughing at how the game becomes "completely unplayable" for you when the Slayer speaks after he dies.

Maybe you go into a berserker rage and destroy your computer? Then I could see that the game would become unplayable. At least until you bought a new computer to replace the old one.

How do you think DROD feels about this incident? You disproved one of its key assumptions about what should be possible in the game world. Yet, DROD somehow finds a way to continue offering up an experience for you. (admittedly an experience that lacks in continuity)

Lesser games would agree with you that they were completely unplayable and just shut down.

-Erik

06-09-2018 at 06:51 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
JLE
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 46
icon Re: Does JTRH 5.0 recognize killing the Slayer beyond the achievements? (+2)  
As we learn from The City Beneath: each position there is a hierarchy. Kill one 39th Slayer, and the 40th gets promoted to 39th to fill his place. There will always be another 39th Slayer to chase Beethro, at least in Journey to Rooted Hold.

01-14-2020 at 05:19 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Does JTRH 5.0 recognize killing the Slayer beyond the achievements?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com