Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Slayer manipulation (Manipulate Slayer's Movements)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

6.2/10 (5 votes)
σ 1.17
Author Name:Resert On
Submitted By:Resert On
Hold Name:Slayer manipulation
Theme:Manipulate Slayer's Movements
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:7
Number of Rooms:107
Number of Monsters:957
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:0 (+0 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Slayer manipulation.hold (47.1 KB)
Downloaded 270 times.
License: Other
icon Slayer manipulation  
When Beethro cleared Sleyar's dungeon, he found a door that could only be opened in one direction. Now, with the permission of Sleyar, Beethro returns to Eleventh Level of Sleyar's dungeon. What's behind that door?
09-04-2017 at 12:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3623
icon Re: Slayer manipulation (+1)  
This hold shows off a few neat tactical tricks for leading a Slayer around, putting him in specific locations or having him hit monsters or orbs in remote places. There's a nice tutorial included to explain these maneuvers, and then some practice rooms of steadily increasing difficulty to show different situations where they're useful.

Unfortunately, this hold ends up being rather repetitive since there's a limited set of movement tricks being used - several rooms just involve using the same maneuver several different times with no significant changes, and other rooms are exactly the same as earlier rooms, but with a timer, or less room for Beethro to move, or something like that.

Still, this hold certainly had some effort put into its design and it's worth playing for a while. Completing it is just a bit more busywork than I would have liked.

09-04-2017 at 12:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2379
icon Re: Slayer manipulation (+1)  
Backtracking issue?
Click here to view the secret text

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
09-05-2017 at 01:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
icon Re: Slayer manipulation (0)  
The Slayer is a DROD element that unfortunately doesn't often get used that well. Most of the time it's just plopped down in a room to harass Beethro while he's trying to do some otherwise mundane task. This hold thankfully breaks from that trend and actually focuses on interesting slayer manipulation tricks. It has some flaws, but it's definitely worth playing if you want to hone your slayer manipulation skills.

There have been other slayer manipulation holds that have done a nice job of this in the past, but they often focus on wall pushing. This hold really focuses on a couple of less common slayer pushes that don't require a wall, as well as some of the finer points of slayer orb seeking mechanics. If you aren't familiar with those particular techniques, there's a nice tutorial level that demonstrates them and lets you practice them again and again.

That brings up one of the major downsides of this hold. There's a lot of repetition. Many of the rooms have you repeat a technique 6 or even 8 times when 2 or three would have gotten the idea across. This is actually probably a good way to internalize and remember the techniques, but it can definitely feel tedious. Some of the secret rooms later on are also pretty high up on the obscure and fiddly level. But there were definitely some very fun puzzles mixed in, and the hold did a good job teaching the prerequisite skills for most of them so that I definitely enjoyed solving most of the required room puzzles.

On the whole, if you are looking for a good hold to help you learn to deal with slayers more effectively this one is definitely worth a try. If you're looking for a quick fun romp then this hold probably won't provide that for you, but if that's what you're after you probably aren't looking for holds titled "Slayer Manipulation" anyway.

09-23-2017 at 04:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
martz
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 414
icon Re: Slayer manipulation (0)  
This hold is okay, going to repeat the previous point made - there are a number of rooms where you're using the same technique to clear it so the repetition gets a bit laborious. This hold could easily have been smaller or ported into one of the newer engines where there are a lot more elements that could be used.

The hold is a little messy and there was an element of backtracking (for me at least) to find out where I was supposed to be going next - there are also quite a few staircases which can confuse matters further.

This hold is not without merit but I wouldn't put it on a "must play" list

Difficulty: 6
Fun: 5

Progress - Gavin G
07-30-2020 at 05:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Slayer manipulation (Manipulate Slayer's Movements) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com