Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Ask Things About JtRH
Page 3 of 17
4567>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Stuwy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 212
IP: Logged
icon Re: Ask Things About JtRH (0)  
It's a nice touch to see what tar babies look like in an intermediate direction. Do the monsters move around more while they're waiting, or are you still sticking with it's 2-framed animation? Do specific monsters have a different blood colour when killed?

11-22-2004 at 09:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
cheese obsessive
Rank Points: 219
Not really relating to JtRH in general, but...

What programming language(s) is the current version of DROD based on? I am rather confused, because in the history of DROD article, you mention Visual Basic, C++, and Windows Programming. I am rather confused about what one(s) were actually used to create the current DROD. I basically want to know, because I have the oppurtunity to take computer programming classes next year in school, and I wanna be just like Erik when I grow up... :Notworthy

*coughhack*...
11-22-2004 at 09:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
AlefBet
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 979
Stuwy wrote:
It's a nice touch to see what tar babies look like in an intermediate direction. Do the monsters move around more while they're waiting, or are you still sticking with it's 2-framed animation? Do specific monsters have a different blood colour when killed?
The animation is still two alternating frames, but the smooth sliding adds a good amount, IMO. Several monsters have the same splatter effect, but there are a couple of new ones for others.
cheese obsessive wrote:
What programming language(s) is the current version of DROD based on?
It is written in C++. The Windows version is compiled with Visual Studio.net and the Linux version is compiled using GCC 3.

++Adam H. Peterson
11-22-2004 at 09:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stuwy
Can you choose which type of music to play for a specific room?
11-23-2004 at 12:17 AM
Malarame
Rank Points: 220
One thing that always bugged me in DROD was how force arrows on trap doors would remain suspended in the air after you'd gone over them. Do the force arrows still do this in JtRH?

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
11-23-2004 at 12:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Force arrows can still exist over pits - it's something you can exploit with puzzles involving flying monsters.

11-23-2004 at 12:29 AM
AlefBet
icon Re: Ask Things About JtRH (+1)  
Malarame wrote:
One thing that always bugged me in DROD was how force arrows on trap doors would remain suspended in the air after you'd gone over them. Do the force arrows still do this in JtRH?
Of course, since force arrows affect flying enemies as well.

++Adam H. Peterson
11-23-2004 at 12:30 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Stuwy wrote:
Can you choose which type of music to play for a specific room?

Yep. There's a character command that will change the music for the room to another track. DROD also makes decisions and tries to work out whether a room is 'contemplative' or 'aggressive' (basically, puzzles or killing) and changes the track automatically. If you go into an empty room, it will play a 'neutral' track.

Matt

11-23-2004 at 12:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Malarame
Rank Points: 220
AlefBet wrote:
Malarame wrote:
Of course, since force arrows affect flying enemies as well.
Well that makes perfect sense. I always wondered why that was. Thanks for clearing that up.

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
11-23-2004 at 12:49 AM
joker5
Rank Points: 607
Can items be characters?

Like, can I make a crumbly wall sense Beethro's approach and decay as he steps near it?

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
11-23-2004 at 02:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
No. Characters are on the 'monster' layer, so only things that are also on the 'monster' layer can be characters.

(Incidentally, mimics are on the 'monster' layer, although their potion is on the 'object' layer.)

Matt

11-23-2004 at 02:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Does undo halt recording demos (as returning to a checkpoint does in KDD?)

Is the demo menu the same as in KDD? Are there any more features/functionality?

Do brains affect Wubbas?

I assume that seeps only leave the wall when Beethro is next to them. Can they traverse crumbly/secret walls? Can they travel under tar?

How does the decoy potion work? Does it have a limited time/range?

What is your favourite part of JtRH?

[Edited by Rabscuttle at Local Time:11-23-2004 at 06:00 AM]
11-23-2004 at 05:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
joker5
Can monsters use tunnels? How about characters? What about snakes? Tar?

~joker5

11-23-2004 at 06:37 AM
Zaratustra00
Rank Points: 107
Do characters respond to being pushed and/or sworded?

Can characters look like walls? What about orbs? Can they change tiles of the room?

Can one add multiple entrances to hold levels?
11-23-2004 at 11:09 AM
Fafnir
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 315
Is there a way of playing demos without going to the room in which the demo was made?

11-23-2004 at 11:36 AM
Mattcrampy
Rabscuttle wrote:
Does undo halt recording demos (as returning to a checkpoint does in KDD?)

Good question. No, unless I discover this isn't the case.

Is the demo menu the same as in KDD? Are there any more features/functionality?

There's the CaravelNet stuff, which tells you who has the high scores for each room and allows you to download the demos. But otherwise, no.

Do brains affect Wubbas?

Yes.

I assume that seeps only leave the wall when Beethro is next to them.

You're correct.
Can they traverse crumbly/secret walls?
Yes.
Can they travel under tar?
No.

I believe it has a limited range. I haven't really fooled around with it, so I'll get back to you.

What is your favourite part of JtRH?

I have to pick one? Hmm... I kinda like the runners, who are a series of characters you'll meet later.

Actually, probably the most fun thing was getting to see you guys wet your pants.

Can monsters use tunnels? How about characters? What about snakes? Tar?

I'm detecting a trend. Only Beethro can use tunnels. (This means you have to leave Halph behind, but Halph is a resourceful and foolhardy lad, and he always finds a way around.)

Do characters respond to being pushed and/or sworded?

Pushed, no. If Halph is regular Halph and not a character, he'll follow you. If a character's sworded and they haven't been set as invincible, they'll die.

Can characters look like walls? What about orbs? Can they change tiles of the room?

No. You can make characters invisible, though, so you can fake it.

Can one add multiple entrances to hold levels?

Yes. They can even have separate descriptions. You do this by placing down a new Beethro whereever you want him to go, then clicking on him to set the description. You can also determine which one is the 'main' entrance, which determines where the Entrance room is and also makes sure you don't make a level where there's no entrance.

Is there a way of playing demos without going to the room in which the demo was made?

No. Or, at least, none that I'm aware of, however I am known for having attack of the stupid. Or Mike may remember that he meant to do that or something. At least, if it's not happening, there's a good reason for it.

Matt

11-23-2004 at 01:01 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
can I have characters invisible at first and make them visible when you do something? (I'm thinking about making a trigger at second room entrance to create the character into the already visited room.)
11-23-2004 at 01:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Doom wrote:
can I have characters invisible at first and make them visible when you do something? (I'm thinking about making a trigger at second room entrance to create the character into the already visited room.)

Yes, you can do that.

11-23-2004 at 01:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
Who wrote the music that Emmett didn't?

11-23-2004 at 02:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
icon Maurog's Secret Hideout (0)  
As I was walking up the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there,
He wasn't there again today,
I wish that man would go away!

- Hugh Mearns

[Last edited by Maurog at 05-10-2007 09:08 AM]
11-23-2004 at 03:23 PM
eytanz
masonjason wrote:
Who wrote the music that Emmett didn't?

Erik

11-23-2004 at 04:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Maurog wrote:
Is Beethro the only one who can activate fuses by stepping on them? Surely the Slayer can do that too? What about Halph? Or Goblins?

Beethro's mimic friends can also light fuses. Monsters (including halph and the slayer) cannot.

11-23-2004 at 04:30 PM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Rabscuttle wrote:

The decoy has a limited range, the same as the invisibility potion, of a 5 square radius. When you place the decoy, you see this range so you can plan ahead. When a monster comes into range of the decoy, it will move towards it as if it were Beethro. It will stay attracted to the decoy until it detects Beethro's own 5 square radius "range of influence" or whatever you want to call it.

It has no time limit of any kind.

Game on,

[Edited by Oneiromancer at Local Time:11-23-2004 at 04:49 PM]

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-23-2004 at 04:49 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Ask Things About JtRH (+3)  
The demos screen has some long asked-for performance upgrades. You can now view demos from the room editor. While viewing demos, you can opt to list all of the demos in a level at the same time. (No more annoying room lookups!) Any of these demos can be watched from any room in the level. Also, all the demos showing in the room or level list can be exported into one big .demo file and shared together. All demos in a room or level can be deleted at the same time.

As a registered user, you may download any high score demo of the current (conquered) room and watch it right in DROD.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
11-23-2004 at 05:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stuwy
For a more accurate way of telling your story, if you are building your hold, can you climb up the level exits? (i.e the floor above you for "tower" themed holds)
11-23-2004 at 06:31 PM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Yes, there are both "up stairs" and "down stairs" in the editor now. In addition, you can come back to a level and the rooms that you solved before are still solved. So you can have multi-level puzzles...just watch out for blue doors!

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-23-2004 at 06:38 PM
joker5
When can we purchase and recieve this fine and delicious-sounding product to stop our saliva glands?

What new things that have never been suggested have been implemented? What things that have been suggested a long time ago?

How much of the actual game is in 'old-school' DROD style? How much of it is in old Dugan's Dungeon, and how much is in new places? Does Beethro actually GO anywhere?

Will we be able to watch demos made in JtRH using all-1.6 elements in 1.6?

~joker5

11-25-2004 at 06:43 AM
AlefBet
icon Re: Ask Things About JtRH (+1)  
joker5 wrote:
When can we purchase and recieve this fine and delicious-sounding product to stop our saliva glands?
Some time after the beta cycle is finished. We want to release a solid game and don't feel constrained by a particular market cycle, so we are running the beta until it's ready. I wish I could give you a better timeframe than that, although I will say I'm pretty optimistic. I've been running JtRH for quite some time and it feels pretty solid, although the beta team has found some stuff the devs haven't run across before.
What new things that have never been suggested have been implemented? What things that have been suggested a long time ago?
Everything that is in JtRH was suggested at one time, although it may have been just one dev suggesting it to another. Since the feature request boards are extensive, I can't really say what may be found there and what may not. Even most of the features that were first suggested first on the FR board have been tweaked to give them more puzzle potential, etc., and I know there is at least one item that I only ever saw in my mind's eye until I suggested it to Mike. (You'll see.)
How much of the actual game is in 'old-school' DROD style? How much of it is in old Dugan's Dungeon, and how much is in new places? Does Beethro actually GO anywhere?
There is relatively little in the JtRH official hold that is from KDD, and what is there has changed quite a bit from the KDD you know. I won't elaborate further, since I'm sure many people don't want it spoiled.
Will we be able to watch demos made in JtRH using all-1.6 elements in 1.6?
The data format has changed, to accomodate both the new elements and new features for old data. DROD:AE won't understand the new data files, so data flow only goes one way. JtRH understands data exported from AE, but will produce files only compatible with JtRH (and later, hopefully).

++Adam H. Peterson
11-25-2004 at 07:07 AM
joker5
Serpents... serpents get confusing in KDD when you've got a room full of them. Will we be able to click on them and look at which serpent is which? It's really annoying to have to play through a room again simply because the segment that you were backed up against was about to give way to a head.

~joker5

11-25-2004 at 07:11 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
In AE, the move-count on the demo screen includes mimic-placement, but the move-count in the pop-up box does not. I remember reading somewhere that this will be fixed in JtRH, but which way round is it? ie. will mimic (and decoy) placement be included in move count?

Decoys:
Are brains fooled by decoys? (I'm guessing no)
Are wraithwings scared of them?
Do they awaken evil-eyes? (if in decoy-range)
Can they be destroyed by swordage?
11-25-2004 at 07:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 3 of 17
4567>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Ask Things About JtRH
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No