Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Guard with dagger can kill by turning
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Doom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3226
IP: Logged

File: Dagger Test.hold (1.2 KB)
Downloaded 48 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Guard with dagger can kill by turning (0)  
See title. There were already a bazillion dagger-issues in the previous thread, but it looks like we didn't find everything. This behavior is inconsistent with other things wielding a dagger. You can normally only kill things by moving or bumping, not with QW.

Small sample hold attached. Guard kills roach when you walk east. All other roaches in the room are unkillable.

Tested in 5.1.0.6501.

I've only noticed this problem with guards. All other elements seem to be acting as expected, including custom NPCs with "Faces towards like a guard" or "Move to player" commands.
03-13-2016 at 11:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
icon Re: Guard with dagger can kill by turning (0)  
I did some more testing on this.

I think the guard isn't actually rotating, as in doing the equivalent of QW. Rather, he's directly turning to face the player.

In short - he's making a bump move against a monster and killing it while staying in place.

You can see this in the test hold in Doom's post. Remove the bomb, place the guard facing north, and place Beethro SE of the guard. The guard will immediately turn, killing the roach but not moving.

This also suggests that he's considering the roach to be an obstacle for the purposes of his pathmap, as if you're not SE of him he won't step that way of his own volition. Instead he moves in place to face you. If he were following a brain pathmap, his logic would see a tile he can freely move into to his SE and he would try to step into it, then presumably succeed because he has a dagger.
03-14-2016 at 02:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Okay, some more tests.

Monsters and other brain-invisible obstacles don't interfere with the guard's pathmapping by default. However, if he's surrounded by obstacles, even ones that don't register as such on the brain pathmap, his behavior is "turn to face the player."

And his "turn to face the player" behavior seems to be set up as "bump with dagger", which registers as an attack. This means he stays in place even if he kills a monster that way.

I hope this helps to narrow down which part of the code needs an adjustment.

There's a separate question of whether being surrounded by obstacles where some are brain-invisible should make him face the player (current behavior), or face the path he wants to take but can't. This probably goes in the pile of "rules to figure out once the bugs are fixed", though.
03-14-2016 at 06:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
I believe hyperme has fixed this issue for 5.1.1.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
09-23-2020 at 02:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
I can confirm that in 5.1.1.alpha.2020-09-23 on windows 10 that this is fixed.

However, for some reason the game won't show the guards or stalwarts facing the direction of the player if it means that the dagger will appear on the same square as a monster. I'm pretty sure that this is just a visual bug because if you continue moving past the monster, they will suddenly snap back to facing you.
09-24-2020 at 08:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
hyperme
Rank Points: 1062
icon Re: Guard with dagger can kill by turning (+1)  
NiroZ wrote:
I can confirm that in 5.1.1.alpha.2020-09-23 on windows 10 that this is fixed.

However, for some reason the game won't show the guards or stalwarts facing the direction of the player if it means that the dagger will appear on the same square as a monster. I'm pretty sure that this is just a visual bug because if you continue moving past the monster, they will suddenly snap back to facing you.

I've checked this, and it's not visual. The guard/stalwart isn't rotating in this case. This is because monsters with daggers never rotate towards their target. So if a guard is stuck, they won't turn in directions that have a dangerous move in that direction.

I don't think there's much of a point in changing this, since dagger turns are completely harmless. I guess it does look a little weird, but I don't think it actually has a gameplay effect.

09-24-2020 at 08:59 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: Guard with dagger can kill by turning (+1)  
I'm guessing that the slayer has a different series of steps which is why it doesn't consider turning towards other monsters a dangerous move. I get that it's not a bug, but it does look inconsistent to the untrained eye.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 09-25-2020 05:43 AM : rethought my post]
09-25-2020 at 02:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
hyperme wrote:
I don't think there's much of a point in changing this, since dagger turns are completely harmless. I guess it does look a little weird, but I don't think it actually has a gameplay effect.

Technically it does. If the dagger is over a pit or water, pushing a keg into it will make it explode, so the dagger position is potentially relevant. Also scripting can check for orientation and will soon be able to check for presence of a weapon, though that's minor.

Stalwart and soldier daggers also affect goblin movement, but I don't see how this would come up in a situation where they'd have a valid target. And if they don't have a valid target, they wouldn't turn anyways.

The handful of specific situations where this is relevant probably isn't a big enough deal to be worth settling for 5.1.1, but when 5.2 becomes the focus it might be good to discuss what makes the most sense and try to implement it that way.
09-24-2021 at 07:11 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Guard with dagger can kill by turning
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com