Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : DROD on steam
<<2345
Page 6 of 12
78910>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ttzop
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
IP: Logged
icon Re: DROD on steam (0)  
Congrats! I noticed the achievements have the other DROD games listed on them, does that mean they're going to be more of a DLC thing for Gunthro or will they be released separately as well?

EDIT: Nevermind, answered on the last page, sorry!

[Last edited by ttzop at 09-23-2016 02:29 PM]
09-23-2016 at 02:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
I can't play it. Because, DROD is crashing... Again. How it was with DROD RPG.

Could acsses DROD data.
Sorry to hear that. You're saying this is the same issue you've been having up till now with DROD RPG? Would you please post a bug report about this in the Bugs board with details of your OS + version, and the specific message you're seeing when attempting to run the game?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-23-2016 02:29 PM]
09-23-2016 at 02:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nillo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 548
icon Re: DROD on steam (+1)  
Congrats on the Steam release. I'll give it a try this weekend and offer my thoughts on it (I've never played GatEB before).

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
09-23-2016 at 03:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
uncopy2002
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 431
Currently the "View the manual" on the steam store page links to... H&S board. I don't think that's how a manual would be.

Maybe link it to drod.caravelgames.com or something?
09-23-2016 at 03:25 PM
mrimer
We don't have an online manual, since our game manual is HTML pages viewable in-game, but that's a thought. My thoughts were that if a person is interested in getting help for playing the game, the H&S board is the most likely candidate for what they'd want to look at. Anyone else have an opinion on this?

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-23-2016 03:36 PM]
09-23-2016 at 03:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2670
If they are just html pages then perhaps you can host them directly on this site and then link to them?
09-23-2016 at 03:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Danny564
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 16
Congratulations! I've already bought the game and I'm playing it as we speak:thumbsup

kieranmillar wrote:
If they are just html pages then perhaps you can host them directly on this site and then link to them?

Well, this would require an open internet connection. Chances of being without internet today are slim, it's just more of a convenience.

I would say, keep it in the game. It takes a split second to open, and it's well written and organized.
"It only takes like one second to open it in a browser..?"
True, but sometimes those unoticable details matter. Naming the button "Get Help" is much more welcoming than calling the "The manual", which often get's associated with a heavy and boring book that uses 9 hours to answer your question.

After all, this is my opinion.

09-23-2016 at 03:58 PM
uncopy2002
Actually the game already has an in-game manual (press F1), so it's not like you need an internet connection to view it.
09-23-2016 at 04:06 PM
Danny564
Rank Points: 16
uncopy2002 wrote:
Actually the game already has an in-game manual (press F1), so it's not like you need an internet connection to view it.

This was exactly the one I was talking about. Just realized it wasn't what "uncopy2002" was talking about -_-
09-23-2016 at 04:12 PM
Movac
Rank Points: 24
icon Re: DROD on steam (+5)  
PSA: If you bought Gunthro directly from Steam, as opposed to activating a Steam key from Caravel or elsewhere, it's extra important that you write a review. (Assuming you've played enough to give an honest opinion, of course.)

Steam uses the percentage of positive reviews to calculate an overall rating, which is used quite a few places: it's visible on the store page and on search result pages, and it even affects the game's ranking in search results. But because some bad developers were handing out free games in exchange for positive reviews, Steam just recently changed it so the overall rating only takes into account reviews by users who purchased the game from the Steam store. Those of us who activated by key can still write reviews that will show up on the store page, but that won't help the overall score.

Here's to a successful launch!
09-23-2016 at 04:40 PM
averagemoe
Rank Points: 487
I still can't get my steam version to update to the latest build. I'm still seeing True Court Lackeys that look exactly like citizens and a bright square around Aurora in her first appearance.

09-23-2016 at 06:14 PM
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606
Well, I'm honestly a wee bit disappointed that there was no mention whatsoever that the Mac version would have no sound. I realize this was an issue back when RPG released on Steam, and was addressed back then…and is not the fault of Caravel, and I expected no sound fix for this release as well...but still—shouldn't it be mentioned somewhere? Or maybe there shouldn't even be a Mac version available until the issue is fixed? (Oh, woe to the lowly Mac user. :?;))

Also, the transparency isn't working on Mac for Beethro and his sword; I'm seeing a grey background for whatever tile Beethro is on, and also whatever tile his sword is on.

[Last edited by Lamkin at 10-01-2016 06:49 AM]
09-23-2016 at 11:45 PM
PurpleMoustache
Rank Points: 10
I redeemed my key for GatEB when the DROD RPG keys went up, and my copy on Steam appears to be a demo, or at least still has demo stuff in it.

"Buy Now" is a menu item, and when you quit it gives you an ad for buying the game. I can't remember if this is an intended thing in the full version or if somehow I have a demo version. I've made it to the True Court without the "demo" crapping out, but it's still strange.
09-24-2016 at 04:34 AM
Camwoodstock
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 115
PurpleMoustache wrote:
I redeemed my key for GatEB when the DROD RPG keys went up, and my copy on Steam appears to be a demo, or at least still has demo stuff in it.

"Buy Now" is a menu item, and when you quit it gives you an ad for buying the game. I can't remember if this is an intended thing in the full version or if somehow I have a demo version. I've made it to the True Court without the "demo" crapping out, but it's still strange.

Yeah, I'm getting this same error; I'm hoping this gets patched out quickly, since it's pretty glaringly a glitch.

And on a side note, shouldn't we be able to get CaravelNet access if we purchased via Steam? I mean, we already payed for the game... :?

Her/him | & | Steam | Backloggery
09-24-2016 at 05:09 AM
uncopy2002
Camwoodstock wrote:
PurpleMoustache wrote:

Yeah, I'm getting this same error; I'm hoping this gets patched out quickly, since it's pretty glaringly a glitch.

And on a side note, shouldn't we be able to get CaravelNet access if we purchased via Steam? I mean, we already payed for the game... :?

Pretty sure you can get CaravelNet access just like how it's set up on every DROD installation. Go to settings, Tick "Connect to CaravelNet", and put the name and key there.
09-24-2016 at 05:33 AM
Camwoodstock
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 115
uncopy2002 wrote:
Camwoodstock wrote:
PurpleMoustache wrote:

Pretty sure you can get CaravelNet access just like how it's set up on every DROD installation. Go to settings, Tick "Connect to CaravelNet", and put the name and key there.

Well, I can draw that much; I meant more that we should basically be able to, y'know, connect to it. I... don't have a CaravelNet, if the bottom of my posts indicate much.

Are there plans to allow Steam accounts to substitute for CaravelNet ones, basically? Since I already have a Steam, obviously, and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't take TOO much longer to add. Like, it'd take time, but I mean it wouldn't take too much time.

At least, as far as I know, anyways. I could always be wrong.

Her/him | & | Steam | Backloggery
09-24-2016 at 05:44 AM
robin
Rank Points: 842
icon Re: DROD on steam (+2)  
So, now that that GetEB is released on Steam,
will the hold also be updated on the forum?
And this page?

09-24-2016 at 08:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mrimer
Camwoodstock wrote:
Well, I can draw that much; I meant more that we should basically be able to, y'know, connect to it. I... don't have a CaravelNet, if the bottom of my posts indicate much.

Are there plans to allow Steam accounts to substitute for CaravelNet ones, basically? Since I already have a Steam, obviously, and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't take TOO much longer to add. Like, it'd take time, but I mean it wouldn't take too much time.

At least, as far as I know, anyways. I could always be wrong.
Sorry, I'm not understanding what you're requesting. The Steam version can connect to CaravelNet, and it also automatically connects to Steam. What else are you proposing?

09-24-2016 at 03:50 PM
uncopy2002
icon Re: DROD on steam (+3)  
mrimer, I think some of us would like to have a confirmation on these few things:

1. GatEB Steam hold is not on CNet yet (hold says not published on CNet, challenges page doesn't have it either). When will it be published so we can register our scores and challenge completion on CNet?

2. Is there a schedule as for when the other holds and SMS will be ready as DLCs?

3. Achievements for secret rooms are not hidden, so their coordinates are wide in the open for everyone to see. Is this intended or otherwise? Challenges show their coordinates only if the play has explored the room.

[Last edited by uncopy2002 at 09-24-2016 04:59 PM]
09-24-2016 at 04:38 PM
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
I've started playing the game now. These levels are certainly more relaxing than DROD RPG... :)

I like it so far. I have just one request to make. Locked achievements could perhaps have a more noticeable icon when compared to an unlocked achievement. This is particularly important for colorblind players like myself to easily see which achievements have been unlocked.

Example -
This game has achievements that are difficult for me to tell apart: http://i.imgur.com/pKqjEPp.png
But here is a game that did it correctly: http://i.imgur.com/W5eH0aM.png

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
09-24-2016 at 10:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
uncopy2002 wrote:
mrimer, I think some of us would like to have a confirmation on these few things:

1. GatEB Steam hold is not on CNet yet (hold says not published on CNet, challenges page doesn't have it either). When will it be published so we can register our scores and challenge completion on CNet?
Sure, happy to confirm. You are correct that GatEB 5.0 is not on CNet yet. We're waiting to see if any other minor bugs shake out first during Steam play, and then we'll request Schik publish the hold on CNet. It shouldn't be long.
2. Is there a schedule as for when the other holds and SMS will be ready as DLCs?
I'm planning to release KDD, JtRH, TCB and the SmS holds, one or two every few weeks over the next few months.
3. Achievements for secret rooms are not hidden, so their coordinates are wide in the open for everyone to see. Is this intended or otherwise? Challenges show their coordinates only if the play has explored the room.
Sure, we can mark secret room achievements "hidden" on Steam. Please PM me or communicate in the respective Bugs topic any rooms that need to be marked secret and we'll do so.

09-25-2016 at 04:20 PM
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606
I posted above that Mac Steam GatEB has no sound. Caravel mentioned a while ago that it's due to an issue with the SDL2 libraries. Today I e-mailed the company that works on SDL about this and they e-mailed back with this response:
"You should be able to use the latest SDL in mercurial to fix this [issue]. We're working on a 2.0.5 official release with this fixed."

I posted about this in a separate topic on the Bugs board, but figured I'd also post with this follow-up here in this thread.
09-26-2016 at 02:42 AM
averagemoe
Rank Points: 487
The bright square around Aurora in the Roach Pits is still there, and I set up a test in the steam version's editor, it's not a problem with differences in how the steam version works. Seriously, just set the character's appearance to Aurora and do ghost display overhead. No one will know the difference unless they right click on her.

09-26-2016 at 03:39 AM
DezzTech
Rank Points: 327
icon Re: DROD on steam (+5)  
So am I the only one bothered by the old screenshots used on the steam page? Can you please replace them with newer ones if that's possible on steam? Pretty please?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0ek974etokjxu0v/AAAvlA4gtkyDl0Zuep3e3JaEa?dl=0

09-26-2016 at 05:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Just wanted to stop by and congratulate everyone involved on the Steam release! Good excuse to start playing again - I just have to renew my CaravelNet membership again! :)

09-26-2016 at 08:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
Congrats to mrimer and the rest of the team on the steam release.

Good job!

09-26-2016 at 09:04 PM
BolucPap
Rank Points: 13
I feel that I'm missing something. I have had GatEB since it first came out, and actually updated it today to the latest version. However, I can't find any way to activate my copy on Steam. I still have the emails from BMT Micro, but can't find anything on them that could be used as a Steam key.
09-26-2016 at 09:07 PM
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
This forum is how you get your keys.

Go to your profile and click over to the Purchase tab, and you can get activation keys there.
09-26-2016 at 11:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
da rogu3
Rank Points: 491
Congrats on the steam release guys :yay
09-27-2016 at 01:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
DezzTech wrote:
So am I the only one bothered by the old screenshots used on the steam page? Can you please replace them with newer ones if that's possible on steam? Pretty please?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0ek974etokjxu0v/AAAvlA4gtkyDl0Zuep3e3JaEa?dl=0
Oh, hey, wow! Do you even have to ask? These are wonderful. Thanks so much.

I've been looking at these images for so long I didn't even realize they need updating. I really appreciate you just going in and providing current ones.

Updated!

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-27-2016 02:03 AM]
09-27-2016 at 02:03 AM
<<2345
Page 6 of 12
78910>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : DROD on steam
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes