Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : DROD on steam
Page 5 of 12
6789>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
oschwald.thomas
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
IP: Logged
icon Re: DROD on steam (+1)  
Does Caravel recieve more money if I buy the game from their site and then activate the steam key as opposed to buying it on steam?
03-09-2016 at 07:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
icon Re: DROD on steam (0)  
oschwald.thomas wrote:
Does Caravel recieve more money if I buy the game from their site and then activate the steam key as opposed to buying it on steam?
Good question. Caravel receives more when you buy directly from us. When you buy from Steam, they take a cut.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
03-09-2016 at 08:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dandy
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 17
That is nice to know.
So... TSS is the next game to come out on Steam right ? Or is it Gunthro ?

I ultimately want to play on Steam as soon as possible, but if buying here gets me a key AND gives you a tiny bit more money, I see no reason to not buy it now !

I am just afraid that if it's TSS first my noobie fundament might get kicked.
03-10-2016 at 03:58 PM
DezzTech
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 327
Gunthro will be released on steam first and then the other games later.

03-10-2016 at 05:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2434
So, a question just struck me. How's the hold with the TSS custom elements going to be handled with Steam distribution? Will it just be included in the download?
04-26-2016 at 08:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
uncopy2002
Rank Points: 431
Yes, you can include it in the download easily, for example, storing it in an additional folder next to the executable. You can also make it into a free DLC (which makes little sense, but whatever).
04-26-2016 at 08:44 PM
kr3w.1337brown
Rank Points: 16
When will realese in Steam? Date?
06-27-2016 at 01:36 PM
mrimer
We're doing internal and beta testing, and we'll be releasing GatEB first, as soon as we deem it ready. Sorry, I can't provide a concrete date at this time.

06-28-2016 at 05:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
I'd like to get some more Steam beta testers for GatEB. If you are interested and have a registered copy of GatEB on the Caravel Forum, please PM me and I'll send you a Steam beta key. Thanks in advance for anyone's help!

07-07-2016 at 08:35 PM
mrimer
Thanks for the response from all offering to help beta test so far!

I'm PMing you all a key now.

Beta testing requests:

* Verify that DROD runs just like it does in 5.1.
Test out each of the menus and screens to confirm everything seems to be working properly.

* Verify that new Steam functionality works:
-- Steam overlay (and general SDL 2 graphics and mouse/keyboard handling)
-- auto cloud sync of player .dat files
-- achievements (in the GatEB 5.0 hold)
-- We also have trading cards, emoticons and player backgrounds for Gunthro, but I'm not sure whether these are available during beta.

* Featuring the brand new GatEB 5.0 hold!
Please play through as much as you can, trying out the new in-hold scripted hints functionality and confirm nothing is broken and everything works as expected.

If you notice any bugs to report, please post them on the Bugs board, like usual. Please don't duplicate threads for any issues already on the Bugs board, though you can bump preexisting topics if you experience them on the Steam version.

Thanks for everyone's help!

[Last edited by mrimer at 07-08-2016 11:02 PM]
07-08-2016 at 10:51 PM
oschwald.thomas
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
Hey caravel people, i think you should send a DROD4 steam review key, when its ready, out to this youtube review guy:

George from super bunnyhop:
He plays all the games sent to him and puts the better ones in these videos. he has about 100000 views on average per video so even if it only gets a short segment in this it would be good press for DROD. Plus, he generally has good taste so it would not surprise me if he will continue playing and make a full video about it.

[Last edited by oschwald.thomas at 07-08-2016 11:28 PM]
07-08-2016 at 11:24 PM
Danny564
Do you have a twitter or any other form of social media which we can follow? I would love to get daily/weekly updates on how the progress is going. Not only for your first DROD release on Steam (not incl. DROD RPG), but also the other games. I do check this thread once in a while but I find it a little pesky at times. Keep up the good work! Excited fan here :D
07-12-2016 at 08:30 PM
DezzTech
Rank Points: 327
There's a twitter link at the top-right of every page: https://twitter.com/CaravelGames

Though it hasn't been very active lately it seems...

07-12-2016 at 09:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
averagemoe
Rank Points: 488
So should beta testers put feedback on the 5.0 version of the hold here? I think the True Court Lackeys should be given the same custom tiles as the regular Court Lackeys, and 6th Patron and 349th Archivist should respectively be given the Patron and Archivist tiles from TSS.

07-14-2016 at 12:03 AM
mrimer
Great points. Thanks for the feedback! I think these details were just missed somehow. We'll fix them.

Sure, please share any other feedback on the 5.0 version you'd like to tell us about.

Since you've seen patrons and archivists, have you played through basically the entire hold?

[Last edited by mrimer at 07-14-2016 04:25 PM]
07-14-2016 at 04:25 PM
averagemoe
mrimer wrote:
Great points. Thanks for the feedback! I think these details were just missed somehow. We'll fix them.

Sure, please share any other feedback on the 5.0 version you'd like to tell us about.

Since you've seen patrons and archivists, have you played through basically the entire hold?

Yeah, it's relatively easy to do when you've already completed the non-steam version.

So I realize that some major changes happened in Outer Walls 2S2E. Changes that would break every existing demo of the room. The signpost and green door shortcut are good changes, but differences in the actual puzzle, I frown on. You could keep the challenge by changing the maximum number of orb hits to 7.

Also, how quickly do you think you can throw together some custom tiles for Gulric Dawnmace?

07-14-2016 at 06:35 PM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4592
A link to the thread in which changing Outer Walls 2S2E was first discussed. The old room was off-putting to new players, which is a big problem when GatEB specifically aims to be more welcoming to new players than the other titles in the series. So, while you're welcome to register disagreement, there is no chance at all of us going back on this decision.

07-14-2016 at 07:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Hmm...I thought we had custom tiles for Gulric Dawnmace already, but I guess not.

07-15-2016 at 12:47 AM
averagemoe
Well there is one thing that is very much wrong with the room. The staircase is "stairs up", which means instead of walking down them, Gunthro just dissapears shortly after stepping on them.

[Last edited by averagemoe at 07-18-2016 06:22 PM]
07-17-2016 at 09:59 PM
Somnlaut
Rank Points: 19
Question: should the Steam version be uploading stats if I'm connected to CaravelNet?

I'm connected (and have been all along), but I'm not seeing any stats on my account for GatEB. Wondering if this is intentional, a bug, or whether I'm doing something wrong.

Note: I have never installed/played GatEB before.

Edit: When I click on the online room help button, it says that the hold isn't published. Still not sure if that means it's intentional or not.

[Last edited by Somnlaut at 07-23-2016 04:06 AM]
07-23-2016 at 03:59 AM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
I think these issues are related to the fact that the steam version is still in beta-testing, so the steam version of the hold is not sync-ed with the current one.

07-23-2016 at 02:17 PM
KevG
Rank Points: 333
Yeah, unfortunately the cool new complete with challenges version of the GatEB hold hasn't been made available to CaravelNet yet. Most other holds allow you to update scores just fine. Which brings up the next bug/not a bug report: I can't download any of the official content. I've tried all three major holds and a couple of Smitemaster selections. They all say they're downloading, move to calculating space, and then stop with nothing seeming to have happened. Is this because they will be available on Steam through DLC or is something else going on?
07-23-2016 at 09:37 PM
mrimer
KevG wrote:
Yeah, unfortunately the cool new complete with challenges version of the GatEB hold hasn't been made available to CaravelNet yet. Most other holds allow you to update scores just fine. Which brings up the next bug/not a bug report: I can't download any of the official content. I've tried all three major holds and a couple of Smitemaster selections. They all say they're downloading, move to calculating space, and then stop with nothing seeming to have happened. Is this because they will be available on Steam through DLC or is something else going on?
Yes, all the official content will be available on Steam as DLC, with a special storage format and location, so the Steam version won't let you try to install them manually or via CaravelNet, in order to avoid version and storage format de-syncs, and having the same content installed in multiple places causing the game to get confused.

07-24-2016 at 02:41 AM
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
I'm looking forward to playing Gunthro and the Epic Blunder on Steam. I've heard that this hold is good for newbies, so perhaps I will be able to use it to recruit some new DROD players.

I admit, I purchased DROD RPG on Steam, but I haven't been able to complete it yet. It's quite difficult... :blush

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
07-27-2016 at 10:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
icon Re: DROD on steam (+3)  
By way of update, I have some good and bad news about the upcoming DROD Steam releases. It's been quiet for a while now as we've been going through a few rounds of Steam cards/badges/backgrounds/icons art updates with Valve folks. I think we're finally ready to go in that area, so that's good news.

Bad news is that my (5-year-old) development Mac died right before I got a working OS X build up on Steam. Went to the Genius Bar and they couldn't fix it, and said they don't carry parts for 5+ year-old "vintage" Macs. It's going to take me an undetermined amount of time to procure a new Mac and get my dev setup back up and working. To avoid further release delays, I'm going to have GatEB released without initial Mac support. I'm really sorry about this. This poor turn of fortune fills me with rage and regret inside. I'll remedy the situation as soon as I can, but I anticipate it will be a while. My apologies again to the Mac crowd for the bad news. :(

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-19-2016 04:18 PM]
09-19-2016 at 04:17 PM
mrimer
Wow, guess what? In a complete reversal of fortune, I received exactly what I needed to raise my Mac from the dead. It's limping along for now, and that means I was able to complete the OS X Steam build last night. I have GatEB for Mac up on Steam, and anyone with a Mac can try it out now!

09-20-2016 at 04:32 PM
averagemoe
I just caught wind of the progress bar, and I have to wonder, did that issue with Aurora get worked out? My beta version hasn't been getting updates since that script I did was implemented. On a related note, did the True Court Lackeys get the same custom tileset as the regular Court Lackeys, per frequent request?

09-21-2016 at 06:20 AM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4592
"Frequent" may be an exaggeration, but yes, in the current build Court Lackeys and True Court Lackeys both have the same custom sprites.

After some thought I decided to keep the True Court Lackey in Glum Cove 7N2W and the Court Lackey in 7N3W. It highlights the fact that these are two different people, and since the latter says that he is coming with on the expedition to Smugglers' Maze, it makes sense that he belongs to the regular Court rather than the secretive True Court.

09-21-2016 at 06:01 PM
mrimer
Gunthro and the Epic Blunder is released on Steam!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/314330/

There is also a Deluxe Edition that features the Deadly Music of Death OST (Volumes 1 and 2) in the Steam store:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/414250/

----

Other official holds and SmS are forthcoming in the near future as DLC for GatEB.

For additional exposure, it would be helpful if players could post or repost reviews for GatEB, or for the DROD experience in general, on Steam.

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-23-2016 02:29 PM]
09-23-2016 at 02:18 PM
kr3w.1337brown
That's Good News.

But, I can't play it. Because, DROD is crashing... Again. How it was with DROD RPG.

Couldn't acsses DROD data.

[Last edited by kr3w.1337brown at 09-23-2016 02:40 PM]
09-23-2016 at 02:27 PM
Page 5 of 12
6789>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : DROD on steam
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No