Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : DROD on steam
Page 4 of 12
5678>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Pearls
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 767
IP: Logged
icon Re: DROD on steam (0)  
So it took me a few minutes to parse RoboBob's statement. I always thought "OST" stood for "original sound track."

Oops. ALSO CONGRATS ON RELEASE!!

Click here to view the secret text

02-12-2016 at 07:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
RoboBob3000 wrote:
As someone who has previously purchased a copy of DROD RPG, will I need to buy a second copy to be able to play on Steam?
The Steam key is in your profile under Downloads Purchases :blush.

[Last edited by TripleM at 02-12-2016 09:23 PM]
02-12-2016 at 08:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dimitris
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 37
Yeah I cannot start the game either.

[Last edited by Dimitris at 02-13-2016 05:46 PM]
02-13-2016 at 05:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Boris Carl Orff
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 19
icon Re: DROD on steam (+1)  
Congratulations on the Steam release of DROD RPG guys - I noticed it was just released yesterday. It's the one DROD game I never purchased and was on the verge of buying it when I read in the description a reference to Tower of the Sorcerer.

So I just thought I'd mention that I remembered buying a game on Steam last Autumn which was based on the TOS concept. I looked into my (pretty large) games library to see if I could find it, its called DungeonUp. I didn't play it much and uninstalled it because I wasn't keen on the graphics. It is quite good gameplay-wise though.

I haven't seen any comparisons or references between Tendry's Tale and DungeonUp anywhere on Steam - not even under the 'More Like This' section of the games' Storepages. Just thought it might be of interest to mention here.

I will be purchasing DROD RPG to further support you guys.
02-13-2016 at 07:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
Dimitris wrote:
Yeah I cannot start the game either.
I ran into this too with DROD under Windows 10, and resolved it by setting the .exe to "Run as administrator". Had to do this with steam in general, too, so I guess try both? PC security purists would probably be horrified, but I haven't had issues.

02-14-2016 at 08:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dimitris
Rank Points: 37
^

Didn't work. The only difference was the UAC alert. Then same message.
02-14-2016 at 09:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
Dischorran wrote: Windows 10 [...] PC security purists
Okay, I'm confused.
02-14-2016 at 03:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dandy
Rank Points: 17
icon Re: DROD on steam (+4)  
Hi !
I discovered DROD about a year ago because of a random let's play I stumbled upon. I soon learned that the series would go to Steam, and thus waited patiently for it to arrive. I am thrilled to play DRODRPG on Steam ! So first: thanks for that !

Alas, I planned to run it on Linux. And I am afraid I can't directly launch the game. Here is a terminal output:

So apparently there is a thingamajiggy between the overlay, my notebook and the game. I am surprised to see the 64 bit being used since my notebook is 32 bit.

I should probably mention that the game runs mighty fine with Wine. But I would rather play without wine. I posted a similar thread in the Steam forum.

Regardless, I would dare suggest a better advertisement of the Caravel network on Steam. A sticky in the discussion is always useful, but a separate paragraph in the store page could also be useful !

Happy and thrilled to soon be able to play :D
02-27-2016 at 10:27 AM
DezzTech
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 327
Blind guess: maybe try manually starting the 32-bit executable? It's located in game installation folder in Bin/linux-i686. To open the game folder right click on DROD RPG in steam game list, click Properties -> Local files -> Browse local files

02-27-2016 at 10:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dandy
Tried to launch from file explorer and terminal in the i686 directory: no luck.
Terminal output:

I still have the same message if I add .steam/ubuntu12_32 to the PATH (where libSDL2-2.0.so.0 is).
02-27-2016 at 11:22 AM
DezzTech
Dandy wrote: I still have the same message if I add .steam/ubuntu12_32 to the PATH (where libSDL2-2.0.so.0 is).

I'm pretty sure you have to add that to LD_LIBRARY_PATH instead.

02-27-2016 at 12:06 PM
Dandy
Thanks ! But here is where I point out that I am not incredibly good with Linux:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH is void. At least when I do echo $LD_...
Without much surprise, adding my home/username/.steam/ubuntu12_32 to this variable doesn't do much for me :P
Anyway, I am not entirely sure that pointing to that folder would be the solution anyway. It wouldn't explain why I am getting my original steam overlay renderer error message.
02-27-2016 at 01:23 PM
DezzTech
icon Re: DROD on steam (+3)  
Ok, so quick bit of googling reveals that the "ERROR: ld.so ...etc..." line is completely irrelevant here, the real problem is here: "error: exec failed". That's... not very useful, sadly. But you did somehow got more information out of it by loading the executable directly, and it clearly says that it can't find libSDL2-2.0.so.0

Are you sure you added the correct path? Try running this in terminal in DROD RPG/Bin/linux-i686 directory:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/.steam/ubuntu12_32 ./drod

Also, for some reason it seems I don't have "ubuntu12_32" directory in my .steam folder, so double-check if that's correct. I have "./steam/bin32" instead. (In which case the command would be this:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/.steam/bin32 ./drod

If you're running from terminal and you would like to actually connect to steam while playing the game (to upload scores, etc.) you will also need to create a file named "steam_appid.txt" in DROD RPG/Bin/linux-i686 directory and write in it "351330" (without quotation marks)

Another thing to try would be to install system wide SDL2 libraries:
sudo apt-get install libsdl2-2.0-0

And after that run (I'm pretty sure that's not actually necessary, but just in case):
sudo ldconfig

02-27-2016 at 05:24 PM
Dandy
Post contains a sum up at the end if you are not interested in the different actions I took.

Thanks again for looking into this. It's appreciated.
Here are some stuff:
I tried your first command (with ubuntu12_32) and got a popup error:

And that's it.
In my steam directory, I also have a link to the dir bin32. So I tried your second command and got the same popup error, followed by an additionnal popup error box (yay ! progress !) reading:

In the same time, I get the terminal message:

The process then proceed to do nothing and must be interrupted.

So naturally, I tried to reinstall libSDL2-... I guess it could be badly referenced or something. And the situation did improve ! I am now getting the same error for each way to launch DROD with the terminal ! Progress :) The error box reads:

Simultaneously, the terminal prints:

And rerunning with --sync option just gives the same error messages as when I runned LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/.steam/bin32 ./drod .

So I did what was suggested in the message box and reinstalled DROD RPG, but to no avail (both through steam and terminal).

To sum it up:
-: my libSDL2-2.0.so.0 file was indeed badly referenced on my system. Somehow.
-: I am now having a popup error box: DataPath.txt is invalid, followed by a second error box:
, while the terminal reads:

At least, that looks good ! I have a filename (though I can't access it) and a line # :)
02-27-2016 at 07:34 PM
DezzTech
Okay... if you're lucky it's possible steam just didn't install drod propertly. Click on drod rpg in the game list, Properties -> Local files -> Verify integrity of game cache. That might fix it.

If that doesn't help, go to ~/.local/share/Caravel and try deleting/renaming the "drodrpg-1_0" folder.

I have no idea what to do about X Window System error that you also got, so if what I said doesn't help, you'll have to wait for the developers to help you. (Although I found out that you can just keep trying to run the game, and it might eventually work. But that's hardly a solution.)

EDIT: oops, I missed that you said you reinstalled DROD. But try the second thing I suggested anyway.

[Last edited by DezzTech at 02-27-2016 07:59 PM]
02-27-2016 at 07:57 PM
Dandy
Deleting/renaming the drodrpg-1_0 did nothing.

However, I messed around with DataPath.txt
It contained 2 adresses:
-: the first seemed correct
-: but the second was pointing to .steam/.../DROD RPG/Bin/linux-i686/Data . But the location of the data folder is not this !

First I tried to add a third adress:
./steam/.../DROD RPG/Data
Didn't work.

So I simply erased the second adress to replace it with what the correct adress.
And the game launched with the Terminal !
Hooray to you !
Of course it launched without the steam features.

However the game still doesn't launch directly through steam. With the same "original" error in the terminal who launched steam:

I am not quite there yet, but you have been of an invaluable help !
02-27-2016 at 08:23 PM
DezzTech
You can't launch it through steam because steam tries to launch the DROD RPG/drod executable that is some kind of a wrapper and for some reason it fails to start. I don't think there's source code available for that thing so I have no idea why it fails, but I can provide a lovely temporary workaround. >_>

So, to be clear, the executable I'm talking about is not "DROD RPG/Bin/linux-i686/drod" but actually "DROD RPG/drod". You can see if it's correct one if it's really small in size (~1.5 KB)

Rename that file to something else, like "drod_bak"/whatever. Create a new text document and call it "drod" (without an extension). Open that file in any text editor and copy/paste:
#/bin/sh
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/.steam/bin32 ./Bin/linux-i686/drod

Now right click on the file, click Properties and somewhere in there find something along the lines of "Allow executing this file" (I don't know what it's called in ubuntu) and make sure it's checked. Now you should be able to launch the game from steam. There might be some issues though, like the overlay not working.

Also, I suggest reporting this bug to the RPG Bugs forum so that the developers are aware of the issue and can provide a proper fix.

02-27-2016 at 08:46 PM
Dandy
the setting of LD_LIBRARY_PATH is actually unnecessary since I had to reinstall libSDL2-2.0.so.0. Maybe I use a system in which this variable became obsolete ?
Anyway, your small script is more elegant than what I was going to do: I was this close to brutally murder the "generic" drod executable and simply replace it with the i686 one.

Of course, this works. Thanks for all the time you took to help me. I am heading to the bug forum !
02-27-2016 at 09:43 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Thanks for reporting this issue. Trick fixed it. The path to the 32-bit executable was incorrect. I responded to your Steam forum thread on this issue. After DROD RPG is updated in your Steam client, please try again.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
02-27-2016 at 11:55 PM
Keiya
Rank Points: 73
Hunh, so I had GatEB on IndieGameStand for some reason (I could have sworn I bought directly from Caravel, but maybe I grabbed it there for the soundtrack or something?) and, well, apparently they have steam keys already.

Not that you can actually download it from Steam. Doesn't even show up in the games list as not-yet-released. Kind of amusing though.

Official Hold Progress:

02-28-2016 at 10:17 AM
Keiya
Rank Points: 73
Actually, I have a question! Will CaravelNet think I'm pirating the game and refuse to accept scores if I grab DROD RPG on Steam and a CNet subscription from here? For some reason the price it's showing me there is low enough I can grab that and a three month subscription for the price Caravel direct is showing.

Official Hold Progress:

[Last edited by Keiya at 03-02-2016 03:55 AM]
03-02-2016 at 03:52 AM
mrimer
Keiya wrote:
Actually, I have a question! Will CaravelNet think I'm pirating the game and refuse to accept scores if I grab DROD RPG on Steam and a CNet subscription from here?
Thanks for asking! No problem, that should work fine.

03-02-2016 at 03:54 AM
Drodtastic
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
Hello, does anybody know, if we bought DROD collection on GOG if we can get also a steam key?

And how to get this key/s?

I bought them on GOG in the past, not now and i hope i am not too late :(

Thanks in advance!

[Last edited by Drodtastic at 03-02-2016 07:16 PM]
03-02-2016 at 07:02 PM
mrimer
Thanks for asking. Unfortunately, you are too late, and GOG does not want to distribute Steam keys to their player base.

03-03-2016 at 09:22 PM
IQubic
Rank Points: 78
How do I acquire a steam key, for TSS, if I no longer have CaravelNet?

03-05-2016 at 10:24 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
IQubic wrote:
How do I acquire a steam key, for TSS, if I no longer have CaravelNet?
http://forum.caravelgames.com/member.php?Action=purchases

[Last edited by Schik at 03-05-2016 10:52 PM]
03-05-2016 at 10:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
IQubic

File: Screenshot from 2016-03-09 09-26-48.png (675.7 KB)
Downloaded 45 times.
License: Public Domain
Schik, I get the window shown in the attached file. Note the lack of next button and the status that show I already own this product. That's great, but how do I download it with the lack of a next button?

NOTE: I am on Ubuntu 15.10

[Last edited by IQubic at 03-09-2016 05:30 PM]
03-09-2016 at 05:30 PM
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2670
Only DROD RPG is actually on Steam at the moment. The other games have keys ready but you can't actually play them on Steam yet.
03-09-2016 at 05:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
IQubic
kieranmillar wrote:
Only DROD RPG is actually on Steam at the moment. The other games have keys ready but you can't actually play them on Steam yet.

Any Idea when they will be available?

03-09-2016 at 06:28 PM
mrimer
IQubic wrote:
kieranmillar wrote:

Any Idea when they will be available?
Within the next couple months.

What's left to do:

First, we need to officially release version 5.1. The Steam games will be based off that code version. Next, we need to publish a 5.x version of GatEB. The 5.x hold versions will be available on Steam. Once this code and content is ready, we'll begin internal beta testing, and then release GatEB, followed soon after by the other titles.

[Last edited by mrimer at 03-09-2016 07:00 PM]
03-09-2016 at 07:00 PM
Page 4 of 12
5678>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : DROD on steam
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No