Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : DROD on steam
<<78910
Page 11 of 12
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Hikari
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 438
IP: Logged
icon Re: DROD on steam (0)  
Steam Perfection is showing up as being published on CaravelNet, but Steam The Choice isn't. Was a change of some sort made to the hold?

12-01-2016 at 07:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
uncopy2002
Rank Points: 431
A related issue: Steam Beethro's Teacher is an older version of the hold, so it shows as "(Updated!)" in the hold selection menu and, of course, aren't shown as published on CNet. You can't actually update it by downloading either.
12-03-2016 at 06:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tablesaw
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 33
I'm having trouble importing the Official Holds into The Second Sky on Steam. I have all of the DLC activated on CN and have added the Steam keys, but I can't get them installed through Hold Import or from Steam.

12-18-2016 at 11:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DezzTech
Rank Points: 327
You can only install them as DLC for GatEB, not TSS.

12-19-2016 at 04:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tablesaw
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 33
DezzTech wrote:
You can only install them as DLC for GatEB, not TSS.

I currently have a player file with progress over lots of different holds. If I load it into GatEB and TSS on steam and make progress in each, will the player file stay split forever, or I can import them both to restore them?

12-19-2016 at 10:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tuttle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1545
If you start by importing the same .player file into both games, both profiles will keep the same internal ID and you'll be able to merge things later (e.g. back to the standalone TSS, or into a DROD 6 engine).

You only need to worry about a permanent split if you create a brand new profile at some point. In that case, the new profile would get assigned a different internal ID, even if you used the same name.
12-21-2016 at 12:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Hikari
Rank Points: 438
Just throwing this out there again... Beethro's Teacher and Complex Complex are both showing 'Updated!' in the Locations menu on GatEB Steam and saying they're not published on CaravelNet.

12-21-2016 at 04:32 AM
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
Hmmmm....

I currently own the holds The Choice and Flood Warning, so that would be half of two different DLC packs. Is there some way of getting this on Steam? Or one of them, at least.

[Last edited by Radiant at 12-31-2016 09:20 AM]
12-22-2016 at 08:44 PM
Camwoodstock
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 115
Um... Before I buy TSS, is that possible when I already have Gunthro on Steam? They both run on the same DROD 5.0 engine, and I fear I might break both of them by trying to download the same game twice...

If I just ran Gunthro, for instance, but played TSS through it, implying I had TSS on Steam, would that unlock the achievements for TSS, given they're the same game? Or would I have to open the "TSS" game and only then would it properly award my achievements for the challenges I completed?

Her/him | & | Steam | Backloggery
12-23-2016 at 03:58 AM
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2670
You can't import TSS into Gunthro on Steam. If you want to play TSS on Steam it comes as a separate app.
12-23-2016 at 09:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
vittro
Rank Points: 479
Anyone else having trouble with downloading holds through the game on Steam and Linux x64? The download completes, but the hold still appears as "not downloaded" in-game.

12-31-2016 at 12:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jdyer
Rank Points: 329
Radiant wrote:
Hmmmm....

I currently own the holds The Choice and Flood Warning, so that would be half of two different DLC packs. Is there some way of getting this on Steam? Or one of them, at least.

I am not on the official team but they stated elsewhere if you buy the other half of a DLC set from Caravel then you can get a Steam key, but you can't combine Smitemaster Selections to make a Steam DLC when they are out of different sets.
12-31-2016 at 04:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Camwoodstock
Not properly getting Flood Warning after completion of Gunthro still seems to be an issue.

01-01-2017 at 05:28 PM
jdyer
Camwoodstock wrote:
Not properly getting Flood Warning after completion of Gunthro still seems to be an issue.

I'm a little puzzled; there's no "unlocking" going on. Flood Warning was a Smitemaster Selection bonus hold that came with a purchase of Gunthro on the Caravel Site. (Is it still? The free deal only came from purchase on the site; gog.com or Steam doesn't have it as a bonus.)

If you did purchase from Caravel, the hold should be in your locations. You can play it before even touching Gunthro, the two have no relation.
01-03-2017 at 06:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Boris Carl Orff
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 19
With regard to Flood Warning, I bought GatEB on IGS with a Steam (and Deesura) key. In my game wallet as 'Extras' I have Deadly Music of Death 1 & 2 and Flood Warning. I can download these externally, but would prefer to do it via my Steam version. There are no Steam keys for these 'Extras', but they are DLC on Steam I believe.
Any advice please?
01-06-2017 at 10:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jdyer
Boris Carl Orff wrote:
With regard to Flood Warning, I bought GatEB on IGS with a Steam (and Deesura) key. In my game wallet as 'Extras' I have Deadly Music of Death 1 & 2 and Flood Warning. I can download these externally, but would prefer to do it via my Steam version. There are no Steam keys for these 'Extras', but they are DLC on Steam I believe.
Any advice please?

This is probably the sort of question for support@caravelgames.com
01-08-2017 at 05:44 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
As I recall the official word is now 'no'? There's a sticky on the matter.
01-15-2017 at 04:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mertalo
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
Is there any chance for adding achievements/challenges for DLC Smitemaster Selections?
07-05-2017 at 09:57 AM
Jordthro
Rank Points: 100
Sorry if this question has been asked earlier in the thread (I'm not really up for digging through 11 pages to find out), but does anyone know how to get DROD on steam to output the original 1024x768 resolution in fullscreen? I want to get rid of the black lines in the upscaled 1920x1080 and remove the slight blurriness caused by upscaling the graphics. I feel like it's probably not possible, but can't hurt to check anyways.

03-02-2018 at 02:18 AM
Abbyzzmal
Rank Points: 348
Hi, long time no see. So I just downloaded everything from Steam on my Macbook, really excited to get back into DROD. But for some reason, in all of the Caravel games, the sound doesn't work. No music, no voices, nothing. Any idea what the problem might be? All the other sound on the computer is active, and other games I load on Steam work fine.
04-29-2018 at 10:28 AM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2384
Try the non-Steam version.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
04-29-2018 at 10:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Abbyzzmal
So yeah, I was able to get The Second Sky coordinated by just replacing steam's program file with the one from the site, but was wondering if anyone has located which files need to be replaced. I guess it's not too important, but as many times as I've lost all my DROD progress over the years, I was kind of hoping that Steam would get everything coordinated at last.
04-30-2018 at 12:13 AM
blorx1
Rank Points: 920
It's close to that. The sound issue is a known issue and Mike kind of disappeared before it got fixed. Since he's also the one who could talk to Steam about uploading the fixed versions, we're kind of stuck.

04-30-2018 at 01:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Abbyzzmal
I spent a while looking through the files within the package contents between the various versions of things, and the main difference I can see is the the Steam version uses version 2.0 of SDL, Simple DirectMedia Layer, and the version where the sound works uses 1.2. Not sure what can be done with this information, but it might be something, or it might not be. All we can do is wait for Mike to come back, I guess.
04-30-2018 at 06:22 AM
Camwoodstock
icon Re: DROD on steam (+1)  
I apologize for the necrobump, but in my recent pursuit to 100% SMS I've noticed a bug, and also there was recently a weird issue with the... icon?

For one, if an official hold has been updated, it's impossible to update it. Beethro's Teacher and Complex Complex specifically are giving an error that it "could not be completed" even when any other hold is perfectly fine. I get the feeling this stems from the game trying to download the update for the hold, but Steam is rigidly trying to keep the set data for the DLC in-place, preventing intended updates; the holds will have to have their accompanying Steam DLC updated, too.

For second, and more recently... The desktop item is just, gone? It's a globe now. For reference, here's my desktop icon for GatEB, right next to another Steam game.

This one, I can't tell if this is an actual issue on Caravel's part, or if this is Steam's doing. The launcher works just fine, too, which is the strange thing. And this is ONLY an issue for DROD--BTD6 over there retained its icon, even after I opened it. Admittedly, this is pretty easy to fix on the user-end, just change your desktop shortcut's icon--but the fact this is an error after a few years of Steam DROD's existing is... very, very strange.

11-28-2019 at 02:10 PM
Camwoodstock
Apologies for the necrobump again, but as the resident Steam player, I thought I'd give some updates/ask some questions.

I finally got my hands on the OST from the Steam Sale--all fine and good--but where would that be located once downloaded? Also, the aforementioned "cannot update updated SMS holds via caravelnet" bug is still a thing.

Lastly--and most importantly--now that we're getting a new SMS, what's the DLC plan for that? Will it be released immediately as its own DLC, as opposed to the duo bundles they've been released in so far? Or will we have to wait for another SMS to be released for it to be on Steam?

06-26-2020 at 12:44 AM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Camwoodstock wrote:
I finally got my hands on the OST from the Steam Sale--all fine and good--but where would that be located once downloaded?
Awesome, thank you! I believe if you switch over to the Music section of your library, the OST will be there.
Also, the aforementioned "cannot update updated SMS holds via caravelnet" bug is still a thing.
I appreciate you pointing this out. It needs to be fixed, but I don't know when I can get to it.
Lastly--and most importantly--now that we're getting a new SMS, what's the DLC plan for that? Will it be released immediately as its own DLC, as opposed to the duo bundles they've been released in so far? Or will we have to wait for another SMS to be released for it to be on Steam?
I don't mean to speak for anyone else involved in the project on this point, so please don't take anything I say as gospel, but I admit I haven't thought that far ahead yet. Need to sync up with the team on this, and news will be posted when we have a plan.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 06-28-2020 05:19 AM]
06-28-2020 at 05:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragomir7
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 19
icon Re: DROD on steam (+3)  
I notice that the Travelogue soundtracks are now on Steam, albeit as individual products. Could I ask if there are plans for them to be included under the respective games' (TCB, GatEB, TSS) DLCs, or perhaps included as purchase bundles, both with the main game(s) and with each other (all the various soundtracks)?
03-22-2021 at 12:44 AM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Dragomir7 wrote:
I notice that the Travelogue soundtracks are now on Steam, albeit as individual products. Could I ask if there are plans for them to be included under the respective games' (TCB, GatEB, TSS) DLCs, or perhaps included as purchase bundles, both with the main game(s) and with each other (all the various soundtracks)?
I appreciate the questions and suggestions!

Valve changes things up every once in a while and I'm not sure I always keep up. I recently got a notice from Valve that for OSTs, they're now saying they are having these offered as stand-alone products so players can buy them without owning the games they relate to. So, I don't think new OSTs are generally being designated as DLCs on Steam anymore.

Regarding bundles, I think it's a great idea. I'll first need to ask Jon about pricing, as we've agreed he gets to set those figures for his soundtracks. After discussion, if it makes sense to offer bundles, I'll work to set that up.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 03-22-2021 10:48 PM]
03-22-2021 at 10:47 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
mrimer wrote:
I recently got a notice from Valve that for OSTs, they're now saying they are having these offered as stand-alone products so players can buy them without owning the games they relate to. So, I don't think new OSTs are generally being designated as DLCs on Steam anymore.
The OSTs can be associated with games even when standalone and all of the DROD OSTs already work like this, as far as I can tell.

Still, there seem to be some discoverability issues the way things are set up currently. For some reason none of the Travelogue OSTs show up on the store pages of their respective games.

See GatEB: The "Content for this game" section includes 10 items. The older DMOD OST is displayed but Travelogue isn't. Now, if you click "Browse all (10)" to browse DLC then Steam gets smarter and finds all 12 items. Weird.

The same trick doesn't work for TSS and I can't find the TSS Travelogue OST on the store page at all. You can only access it through a direct link.
edit: looked again and found the missing DLC. So all three soundtracks are listed when you browse specifically for DLC, just missing from the store fronts.

[Last edited by Doom at 03-24-2021 02:24 PM]
03-23-2021 at 08:30 AM
<<78910
Page 11 of 12
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : DROD on steam
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No