Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Fixing DROD. (It's gotten too complicated.)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3757
IP: Logged
icon Re: Fixing DROD. (0)  
Guys, but wouldn't all that make the game pretty much unplayable? Shouldn't we concentrate on fixing real issues in the game, like bugs, and not just removing features which make core of it?

04-03-2015 at 08:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
adS
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 214
icon Re: Fixing DROD. (+1)  
disoriented wrote:
RoboBob3000 wrote:

I've played DROD for over 25 years and I haven't once encountered a room where I've needed to step SE. It's superfluous and confusing for new players.

I assume you never got past the tutorial?

I never noticed - Drod is a sliding block puzzle, right?

adS

04-03-2015 at 01:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jacob
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3749
skell wrote:
Guys, but wouldn't all that make the game pretty much unplayable? Shouldn't we concentrate on fixing real issues in the game, like bugs, and not just removing features which make core of it?

Huh? Why would you want to do that?

04-03-2015 at 01:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Jacob wrote:
skell wrote:

Probably because all of these suggestions don't make any sense and would result either in a crippled gameplay or not being able to run the game at all? :?

04-03-2015 at 03:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
adS

File: drod_tut.png (182.3 KB)
Downloaded 468 times.
License: Public Domain

04-03-2015 at 03:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4732
icon Re: Fixing DROD. (+3)  
disoriented wrote:
Why do we need the 'W' button at all? We already have 'Q' and it's clear that pressing it a few extra times is sufficient to end up one position clockwise.
Just for fun, I actually tried playing KDD with the aim of getting as far as I could without using Q.

Levels 1 to 6 can all be completed, with all secret rooms, and all challenges except L3 1N2W (the queens room with an invisibility potion you're not allowed to take).

As for Level 7, nearly all rooms and challenges can be done, but I don't see how to do 1S or its secret variant 2S, so the run ends here :(

I expect that barring W instead of Q would have very similar results.

04-03-2015 at 06:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
adS
Nuntar wrote:
disoriented wrote:
Why do we need the 'W' button at all? We already have 'Q' and it's clear that pressing it a few extra times is sufficient to end up one position clockwise.
Just for fun, I actually tried playing KDD with the aim of getting as far as I could without using Q.

Levels 1 to 6 can all be completed, with all secret rooms, and all challenges except L3 1N2W (the queens room with an invisibility potion you're not allowed to take).

As for Level 7, nearly all rooms and challenges can be done, but

I don't see how to do 1S or its secret variant 2S, so the run ends here :(

I expect that barring W instead of Q would have very similar results.

I have solved Level 7, 1S without using "q".

EDIT: Do you mean the challenge?

adS

PS: The demo is ridiculously long. However, I have not tried to optimize it.

04-03-2015 at 07:50 PM
RyTracer
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 86
skell wrote:
Jacob wrote:
skell wrote:

Probably because all of these suggestions don't make any sense and would result either in a crippled gameplay or not being able to run the game at all? :?
It's not about running the game, it's about experiencing it. :dance2: DROD is more like a state of mind that is as real as you make it. :hmmm: Stripping it down is bringing it back to the fullness of its essence. It's very zen. :1disguise The answer to "does any actual smiting need to happen for Beethro to reach enlightenment?" is clearly "MU."

04-03-2015 at 09:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
This thread, in its essence, was very similar to Ray Gun for Beethro. Read it and THEN read my posts in this thread and they should make way more sense.

If they don't the you're lost to us forever.

04-03-2015 at 10:47 PM
RyTracer
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 86
Oh yes, I was here for the Ray Gun bit, under another name. So I can't tell if you're being like Red Hawk, or if it's an act. But then this meta-post is kind of ruining the magic of the original intent of this thread by pointing it out, which in itself should clearly be considered an act of farce in itself. Because you and I, skell, we're clearly in on everything. wink wink ;)

04-03-2015 at 11:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4732
adS wrote: I have solved Level 7, 1S without using "q".
Cool :) So the run doesn't end there after all. I'll have to have another go at that room.

It definitely ends in Level 8, though. At (3,11) in 3S1W, there is absolutely no choice but to press Q then W, so both versions of the challenge are ruled out.

Pity, because every other room on Level 8 can be done, including the notorious 7S3E. (It isn't even the hardest room under the no-Q condition; that award goes to 3S2E.)

04-04-2015 at 12:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Fixing DROD. (+2)  
All of these suggestions have been good. Every one.

I am transcribing them to a yellow notepad.

-Erik

04-04-2015 at 08:01 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Fixing DROD. (It's gotten too complicated.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com