Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Homeward Adventure (Large collection of puzzles with a story)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.5/10 (15 votes)
σ 2.47
Author Name:Jeff_Ray...
Submitted By:Jeff_Ray...
Hold Name:Homeward Adventure
Theme:Large collection of puzzles with a story
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:34
Number of Rooms:317
Number of Monsters:2400
Version:DROD: The Second Sky (5.0)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:11 (+11 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Homeward Adventure.hold (5.8 MB)
Downloaded 793 times.
License: Other
icon Homeward Adventure  
After seven grueling years, I have finally finished this behemoth! It's been a long journey, and now that it's over, we all get to enjoy this product of much labor. 24 puzzle levels await you in here! Will you be able to solve them all? Probably. :P

This hold continues the story from Mysteries of the Deep. It is not necessary to play it, as I provide a recap of the events for those who want it. I fixed up the grammar in the recap, so it could be interesting to see it anyway.

The hold is 5.8MB, so downloading may take a while. Just a heads-up.

Enjoy!
Jeff_Ray ===
01-19-2015 at 06:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
disoriented
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2384
icon Re: Homeward Adventure (+1)  
A lot of fun so far.

Unintended solution for The Boiling Core: Entrance. After entering this room for the first time, exit via the stairs and go back to Tormel. Returning to the Boiling Core entrance results in the player having a sword (the incorrect role).

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
01-21-2015 at 06:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
Rank Points: 623
I agree with disoriented, it's really great so far, but...

Click here to view the secret text

01-21-2015 at 10:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
noma
Rank Points: 1594
icon Re: Homeward Adventure (0)  
Also enjoying this hold very much. Still in progress but I noticed a couple of entrances that I think accidentally got marked unscoreable:

Poxiponal Dungeon
Mirror Mansion

01-30-2015 at 01:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
Yeah, I had marked them unscorable due to assuming that the player could just exit the room, but I had forgotten that the rooms had to be cleared first for the score to count...

I guess everyone has to have their stupid moment every once in a while...

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

01-30-2015 at 04:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
noma
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
Yeah, I had marked them unscorable due to assuming that the player could just exit the room, but I had forgotten that the rooms had to be cleared first for the score to count...

I guess everyone has to have their stupid moment every once in a while...
Have you switched them to scoreable? Still showing up as "does not record high scores".
01-30-2015 at 05:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
I don't think it's possible to switch back to scoreable once a room was made unscoreable...

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

01-30-2015 at 05:40 PM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Homeward Adventure (+2)  
I've fixed that for you. Anyone who plays this hold - please click "Upload My Scores" in the settings to get your demos for those two rooms again into the system.

02-01-2015 at 01:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
noma
Works! Thanks.
02-01-2015 at 02:58 PM
noma
And post mastered. All in all a very enjoyable hold. Over two hundred puzzles, lots of story, and plenty of fun. I'm pretty sure I broke a few rooms and there was one backtracking issue in Flooded Crevasse (if you enter the 2nd secret room without conquering the 1st you will have to restore) but none of that detracted from my overall enjoyment of this hold. Why aren't more of you playing this? Outside of official holds you don't usually get this much quality content in one hold. And for those who care about these things, I've left a dozens of optimized #1's on the table. mxvladi...
02-18-2015 at 03:14 AM
bomber50
Rank Points: 872
Crater of the Dead has some slowdown issues. They cause slow undoing and reduce the speed at which you can enter a room. This appears to be due to sound file(s) that play in the room.

Fortunately, there does appear to be a simple fix! Simply disabling Sound Effects in Settings appears to remove all issues. :)

[Last edited by bomber50 at 02-21-2015 04:58 PM]
02-21-2015 at 04:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sandalo
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 47
Great Hold
lot of nice puzzle, not too easy, not too difficult, at least for a not so good player like me.
And a story that link all together in a perfect way.

Don't miss post mastery content: there is actually a complete hold over there, with lot of nice things including a custom scripted weapon.

10-11-2015 at 09:32 AM
IQubic
Rank Points: 78
I found a pretty interesting scripting bug I feel needs to be addressed:

If you leave The Boiling Core via the stairs in the entrance, go to a level where you can control Beethro, and then come back to The Boiling Core, you enter controlling Beethro. However, if you leave the Boiling Core via the stairs in the entrance and then enter it without visiting other levels, you enter as the Guide.

[Last edited by IQubic at 04-28-2016 01:48 AM]
04-28-2016 at 01:47 AM
IQubic
Rank Points: 78
I am unable to play any levels that come after The Way Out. Not sure why this is. I can click on the icon on the map, but then I am returned to the main menu.

05-31-2016 at 12:35 AM
OneMoreNameless
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 131
icon Re: Homeward Adventure (+3)  
Homeward Adventure is a monumental hold that in any other puzzle series would stand on its own as a full game. It's hundreds of rooms long but there is no filler here - every puzzle has a unique mix of pieces or clever little room layout to figure out. The difficulty is moderate and carefully consistent throughout. The writing is great (mostly light-hearted humour) and punctuates the level changes appropriately. The post-mastery content includes some well thought out scripted additions with way more puzzle and combat potential than they get time for. There's so many moments of consideration for the player that I couldn't list them all, but just one neat example is using a build marker for already existing terrain to provide a glowing effect on the tile that triggers a scripted cutscene.

Neutral points worth mentioning: Around half of the levels were themed with specific elements, while the others were only cosmetically decorated and contained a mixmatch of puzzles. I enjoyed both but YMMV if you prefer either format. There's also a fairly high percentage of swordless puzzles, though these are spread out between disarmed Beethro and two alternate playable characters.

It's not flawless, but none of its blemishes are large enough to dwell on next to the huge quantity and quality of puzzles up for offer. (The ratio could take on TSS itself.) The only real criticism I have is that Homeward Adventure's plot does not conclude. At all. But that I even care about the plot puts it one-up over the other user holds I've played, so.

Play this hold.
01-04-2017 at 07:22 AM
Jeff_Ray...
The plot was left on a cliffhanger to lead up to the next part of the series, The Plague of Poxipon. I can't give a good estimate on when that will be ready for release, since the scale of that hold currently rivals even Homeward Adventure's.

With that said, I'm really happy you enjoyed this hold. It took a long time to release it, but in the end it was quite worth it :D

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

01-04-2017 at 10:18 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Homeward Adventure (Large collection of puzzles with a story) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com