Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Wonderquest : An image is worth a thousand words... (Check this out!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
googa
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 282
IP: Logged

File: WQ2.jpg (664.4 KB)
Downloaded 198 times.
License: Public Domain
icon An image is worth a thousand words... (+8)  
:)
07-20-2012 at 01:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Trickster
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 662
icon Re: An image is worth a thousand words... (0)  
googa wrote:
:)
This reminds me that I need to install WQ1 on my new desktop...

Official Hold Progress
Click here to view the secret text

Favorite Unofficial Holds (I need to play more!)

My Holds

07-20-2012 at 04:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
asmussen
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 188
Oooooo... Definitely looking forward to this!

07-20-2012 at 08:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
This is amazing news!
07-20-2012 at 09:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
googa
hehe, that's true.

All I can say now is that I'm not sure I'll call it "Wonderquest 2". It all depends on the final product, since this is a Hobby project, and I can't spend all my time on it.

WQ 2 will be a stepping RPG Game with a TD twist, expect a very different experience from the first game. Wonderquest RPG could be a better name.

Magic melee and ranged fighting all toguether. Perfect for those who like Heroes of Might and magic series.

I've been working on it since February and decided to post the image because i'll take it seriously from now on.

Thanks for all the support.
07-20-2012 at 10:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
asmussen
Whatever you call it, I'm sure it will be great. You did a terrific job on the original WQ!

07-20-2012 at 11:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Say what?! I'm totally pumped up for this now.
07-21-2012 at 06:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
vittro
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 479
Keep it up!

07-23-2012 at 06:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Grizzly
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 41
Yay, I am totally looking forward to it. I loved the original Wonderquest because of the great atmosphere. It was like playing a stranded island survival game with the DROD mechanics. I never got around looking at the Wonderquest Dreams chapter but this might be a good reason to try it while awaiting the next part. :)

From what I see, I like it. Adding RPG mechanics fits the "stranded island" theme well because you normally get stronger when fighting many monsters when you never fought them before in your whole life.

Keep up the good work. :)
08-04-2012 at 12:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
asmussen
Just curious, but is this something you're still working on? I'm sure you don't have the spare time to be developing this full time, but we haven't heard anything about it in quite a while, so wasn't sure if this is still a thing or not.

09-08-2014 at 08:08 PM
googa
asmussen wrote:
Just curious, but is this something you're still working on? I'm sure you don't have the spare time to be developing this full time, but we haven't heard anything about it in quite a while, so wasn't sure if this is still a thing or not.

Hi, I have already finished the first 10 levels for the Woderquest RPG game, but because of personal reasons, I had to put this project aside.

As a matter of act, the game is really cool, with a lot of unseen features compared to other RPGS.
I think I may consider to proceed with the project if I get helped with crowdfunding, artist, etc. The project is really promising. A demo could be released in 2 months, I guess.

Honestly I don know how much I would be able to raise using a crowdfunding site...

Well, in fact, I could work fulltime if I wanted, since I have other sources of income and do not need to work. But I demand o good amount of money in exchange for that time, having fun is not enough. Plus, I don't see much room for the RPG to succeed commercially. due to the inaccessibility to the mainstream audiences.

I'm a hobyist game programmer and could work for free in a project. But I won't anymore. WQ was my last non-commercial project.
I have another project running for IOS/Android that is an RPG with Wonderquest/Drod elements.

Still, this is just a hobby, like a "meditation" time for me. and I would certainly love to be able to transform it into business too.

Things get harder to manage financially if you take the "artistic" approach when designing a game.

[Last edited by googa at 09-08-2014 11:12 PM]
09-08-2014 at 11:12 PM
Blondbeard
You're probably right :( I always felt Wonderquest got a rediculously low level of atention, considering how fantastic the game was. I feel the same way about DROD, but with Wonderquest it's even more so. We are probably a few people that would want to support this project, but nowhere near enough to give you a decent salery.
09-09-2014 at 07:59 AM
googa
Well, that's life, you know. I'm not crying here, just putting the cards on the table.

Technically speaking: The biggest obstacle against success for both the games IMHO are the control's. Not the theme, story, difficulty, etc. Too much keys to be pressed, uncomfortable hand position plus the need to press them all without mistakes. This can be scary for the newbie.

A good idea that i forgot to do in WQ: A series of messages to calm down the newcomer's "nerves" like:

"Don't worry if the controls are hard, you'll get used soon",
"Playing a couple more levels will allow you to get used to the control's"
"Control's are hard in the beginning, but I assure you'll be rewarded".
"Don't quit because the control's are hard! You'll be rewarded as soon you get used to it".

I mean, a massive set of messages with a clear objective in mind: To identify and solve our biggest problem: Complex control system.

On top of that: The lack of attention towards WQ was due to the fact that it was not promoted anywhere but here. It's an event that will occur in your life, a game that will jump on your lap if you're lucky enough. Lot's of people will never know it and it's not a problem for me.

[Last edited by googa at 09-10-2014 05:26 PM]
09-10-2014 at 02:39 PM
vittro
icon Re: An image is worth a thousand words... (+1)  
Please consider open-sourcing the project (and/or the original Wonderquest) - community-driven development works and it's a great learning/social experience for everyone involved.

09-18-2014 at 12:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
googa
Hey, Vittro I'm capitalist by nature! Game programmers aren't beggars or saint's willing to save the world or teach people for a couple of dollars! ;)

Open sourcing sounds like hippie coding! Woodstock games! I wish lawyers and doctors acted like this...

Anyway, your argument was very intelligent! but not good enough to get me working for free.

The question is: I'm I going to waste my next million if I get started with this new game?

The answer: I'm going to do it. With or Without anyone's help.

Plus: I'll reinvent capitalism too, since it seems that it need's to be redone! ;)

Thanks for posting.

09-18-2014 at 01:44 AM
vittro
icon Re: An image is worth a thousand words... (+2)  
Thanks for replying. I have some more thoughts to share...

googa wrote:
Hey, Vittro I'm capitalist by nature! Game programmers aren't beggars or saint's willing to save the world or teach people for a couple of dollars! ;)

Open sourcing sounds like hippie coding! Woodstock games! I wish lawyers and doctors acted like this...

Anyway, your argument was very intelligent! but not good enough to get me working for free.

Open-source doesn't mean working for free, or not making a profit. Look at DROD. Doom 3. And many many more.

Releasing the source code of a game and/or allowing the community to work on it doesn't mean you cannot sell your game. There are many lucrative open-source options - they make the developer rich and allow game developers to learn from his work.

And... the original WonderQuest is a free download. What are you losing by sharing the source code with others?

You could use a license that prevents anyone to make derivative works out of the source code, if you really wanted. (And that doesn't make any sense either - again, look at DROD's source code - and I've made several DROD/Wonderquest inspired clones from scratch easily in various languages)

You're still free to do whatever you want, and I respect that - but I don't find your arguments convincing enough.

EDIT:

I've seen that you ask for donations on WonderQuest's page. I know, from experience, that people are more willing to donate to open-source free projects. I've received donations for my open-source games and donated to open-source projects I've found admirable.

[Last edited by vittro at 09-18-2014 08:01 PM]
09-18-2014 at 07:59 PM
googa
icon Re: An image is worth a thousand words... (-3)  
Hi, don't want to sound rude here, keep in mind that I'm not a native English speaker and people may easily misunderstand me when I post something.

Just a question for you to think: What would happen with medicine if half the doctors started working for free?
IMHO We would end up having half of them as weekend doctors working for fun and the other half, talented doctors, having to look for another job that could compensate their massive study hours.
Hope we don't do that with medicine too, as we're doing with games.

Words like contribution, donation, help, etc... They do not work. And the reason can be condensed in just one word: It's cheap.

Anyway. this is just an Idea. I do not want to start an argument here. I'll talk about WQ in the next post...

[Last edited by googa at 09-18-2014 08:47 PM]
09-18-2014 at 08:39 PM
googa
Hey guys.
Sorry for posting this announcement. It was not on purpose.
This project will be archived until its considered profitable/viable.

I Appreciate you comprehension.
10-02-2014 at 05:22 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Wonderquest : An image is worth a thousand words... (Check this out!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com