Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : eyes
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
spiderlady
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18
IP: Logged
icon eyes (0)  
How do eyes eat anyway since they have no discernible mouth that we know of? :vampire

08-19-2004 at 06:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
[ITA]mich
Rank Points: 19
icon Re: eyes (0)  
I think they don't. Since there isn't difference between the sound effect of a smited roach and Beethro being eaten I think they crush. :D

Bye.
--
[ITA]mich.
08-19-2004 at 10:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 783
It would be neat if they ate like an amoeba, by encircling their prey... That's probably near to the truth anyways, since the monster description says they spray him with digestive juices first.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
08-19-2004 at 02:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
[ITA]mich
Rank Points: 19
Anatomically it would be impossible, but then this is a game, isn't it? :D :D :D

Bye.
--
[ITA]mich.

[Edited by [ITA]mich on 08-19-2004 at 04:10 PM GMT: forgot the question mark...]
08-19-2004 at 05:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: eyes (+3)  
Actually, the real story is as follows:

Back in the early days of the eighth, evil eyes lived a rather unpleasent existance. They were always hungry, as, lacking a mouth or a body, they couldn't eat. The best they could do was sit in piles of sugar and hope to absorb some through their slightly porous skins. In those days, eyes didn't sleep much - they would run around all day looking at things (probably hoping to find big piles of sugar, which aren't very common naturally). One day, an exceptionally brave eye was out looking at things further from the eye homeland than any eye had gone before him, when he spotted a strange, tentacle-like creature.

"Hello, I'm an evil eye," said the evil eye "who are you?"
"I am an evil gastro-intestinal tract" said the creature, "and woe is me, because while I can eat and digest all the food I want, I can't see anything".

Immediately, the eye realized that this was the solution his race was looking for. The two cultures started a period of symbiosis - the gastro-intestinal tracts would eat for both themselves and the eyes, and the eyes would see for both themselves and the tracts.

But now the eyes were no longer hungry; and in fact they were quite full, and felt rather bloated. So, instead of moving around a lot, they now just sit in place, looking at the same thing for hours. Which the gastro-intestinal tracts are quite upset about - and soon, a war is going to start between the two races...

08-19-2004 at 05:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Oh great, there goes the plot for Journey to Rooted Hold.

And after all this secrecy!

Matt

08-20-2004 at 09:30 AM
wackhead_uk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 352
Well if that was the plot then I think the rooms would be a lot of pressing 5 and waiting for everyhitng to kill each other.
09-15-2004 at 10:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
joker5
Rank Points: 607
Not true; the wraithwings are bullies and derive sadistic pleasure from haranguing Beethro... and you'd have to deal with the (battle-hardened) gastro-intestinal tracts. After all, how can a bunch of bloated eyeballs who sit around all day smack down some huge intestinal tracts?

Or they can just wage a war of attrition... just don't feed the eyes, so the farther you go into the dungeon the more active and hungry the eyes are... until you reach level 42 upon when the eyes are all just withered husks, and the gastro-intestinal tracts are blind.

Hey, I found the question to Life, The Universe, and Everything: At what level do the eyes die?

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
10-04-2004 at 05:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skinsmen
Rank Points: 26
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
It would be neat if they ate like an amoeba, by encircling their prey... That's probably near to the truth anyways, since the monster description says they spray him with digestive juices first.

HAHAHA getting back to biology I see. Every one loves phagosytosis... ;)
11-08-2004 at 06:50 PM
Rat Man
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 121
Enough with the jokes! I have the real answer to the question.
Tears. They kill you by rolling over you and spraying acid on you. Then they shed tears on your dead body -- but not the usual kind of tears. Tears that turn you into liquid. Then they roll over the remains and soak them up and the nutrients go in, the same way the tears go out.

Brief list of other Evil Eye facts: They don't need food for years after they eat once, but they get unbearably hungry. They are not just the eye; they have brains digestive systems, etc. Although their exact level of intelligence is unknown, a scientist who broke free from the Rooted Empire known as Ocken Dirk spent years doing experiments with them. He concluded that they are lonely and depressed because they cannot hear or speak. They also have the remarkable ability to read in Sihmpuhl Englihsh from birth.

07-14-2010 at 06:38 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1299
icon Re: eyes (+1)  
I'm going to give you an object lesson. I am one of the people on the forum who's been around the longest. There are some who have been around longer than me, but most of those don't come very often anymore.
Anyway, you see the date on this topic? Well, it happened before I was around. That's generally a good indication that it's not a good idea to post in it.
There's two tricks to this:
1. Look at the date of the most recent post.
2. As a general rule, don't post on topics that aren't on the first page anymore. Our forum isn't active enough to push still active topics on to the second page.

Sorry if I sound snarky, but really, this is something that people should understand, and it feels like every newcomer does this. Please don't do it again, unless you have something really constructive to add.

Actually, it's usually a bad idea to do it then. Just make a new topic. If it's that old, people often will be willing to discuss it again.
07-16-2010 at 04:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
No, there's nothing wrong with bumping a topic if you actually have something to say. Which I think is marginally the case here.

07-16-2010 at 04:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rat Man
Yeah, why shouldn't you post on old topics? If it hasn't been deleted, whoever posted it in the first place wants people to look at it. And if you have something to add to it, the people who see the topic will get more out of it, right? Especially for this topic. There's a link to it on the official DROD fan website that claims it leads to the answer to the question, but it really leads to foolishness. So I had to post an intelligent answer. And as for the multiple pages thing, I've seen topic with up to 16 pages of smitemasters' comments. So why shouldn't I go into the second page?

But, honestly I really don't know why nobody wants me posting on old topics.

07-16-2010 at 02:12 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1299
It's because topics are never deleted, unless they're really offensive or pointless and whoever started it deletes it. But look at you last post in this thread. You're posting as if the people who are talking before you had just posted it, but none of them are around anymore (Mattcrampy and eytanz have been around in the last year, but not much). Basically, you shouldn't post on old topics, because often nobody really cares anymore. But this is a good example of starting a new topic being a better idea, because it will make people more interested.
However, you and Jatopian are right that you may have had something to say. When I said "second page", I meant that if you go onto a certain board, and you don't find something right there (without clicking 'next' or '2') then it's probably done being discussed. The exception is H&S, if you still don't understand how to beat a room (it's better to post on an old thread there than start a new one).
07-16-2010 at 03:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Holy /christ/ how many threads has this guy resurrected
07-16-2010 at 09:26 PM
silver
Rank Points: 915
I am not a moderator but I have these opinions:

a) If you're going to post on a topic, you should use the original post, even if it's 20 years old, so it stays threaded. That is, if you woke up tomorrow with a burning desire to discuss tar mechanics, it might be best to hunt for an old tar mechanics thread and pick it up - then people can see more context (or you might find your points have already been discussed)

but

b) Answering a question asked by someone who doesn't read the forums anymore is pretty pointless. That is, I wouldn't go fishing in the 2004 posts looking for topics specifically to start them up again.

The big difference between A and B is: whether you were going to post anyway, or suddenly got the urge to post when you read the moldy old topic. Picking up ancient topics just to up your post count by resuming conversations no one cares about is pointless (even toxic). Picking up an ancient topics because they are relevant to something burning on your mind right now is good. Notably, my two rules automatically cover the Hints and Solutions board without making it a special exception (a burning desire for help in Some Hold 27N233W is similar to a burning desire to discuss tar mechanics)

But that's just my opinion (and I'm a few months older than Someone Else. heh. like that matters :) ).

Of course, the big thing to remember is: someone will complain if you perform thread necromancy, but (usually a different) someone will complain if you post about a topic that has been discussed before rather than continue the thread. There's no winning :)

[Last edited by silver at 07-17-2010 08:49 AM]
07-17-2010 at 08:37 AM
Rat Man
icon Re: eyes (-4)  
Yeah, I agree. But here, I was not just answering a question from someone who never posts anymore. There was a link to this thread the official DROD fan website. I didn't want these poor people looking for information on eyes to be disappointed by stupid jokes. And why don't older users post anymore? By the way, silver, you should get an avatar. A smitemaster without an avatar is like a king without a crown.;)

07-17-2010 at 03:57 PM
hyperme
Rank Points: 1055
Rat Man wrote:
Yeah, I agree. But here, I was not just answering a question from someone who never posts anymore. There was a link to this thread the official DROD fan website. I didn't want these poor people looking for information on eyes to be disappointed by stupid jokes. And why don't older users post anymore? By the way, silver, you should get an avatar. A smitemaster without an avatar is like a king without a crown.;)

People stop posting because of real life. Or they get bored. And not everyone wants an avatar.

Also, threads = conversations. You wouldn't reply to a ended conversation in real life, now would you?
or delete parts of it so we look as if we are talking to air

07-17-2010 at 04:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
hyperme wrote:
Also, threads = conversations.
Not only. I always like it when the old diamonds (Beethr 'o' Lanterns etc.) get revived, you tend to forget about them after a time. This eye thread though... :?

[Last edited by Rheb at 07-17-2010 07:19 PM]
07-17-2010 at 07:18 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : eyes
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com